Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Oakland can't keep any pro sports teams

The point of contention is $350 million in off-site transportation and infrastructure improvements that the city won?t subsidize, but claims that the team would be reimbursed in ?regional, state, and federal funds.?

It does not seem that the city is willing to accommodate the terms of the A?s on this key obstacle, and the A?s are not accepting the updated term sheet that changed something critical.

Also, the Oakland City Council apparently trash-binned the proposal that the A?s sent, wrote their own, and voted on that one.

This seems something that is right out of the Eric Stratton School of Debate.

Councilwoman Carroll Fife, who represents the district where the project would take place and ultimately abstained from voting, circled back with (A?s President Dave) Kaval to clarify his stance and said, "I'm not exactly [sure] why we're even here today."

"If the A's are not happy with what was produced today," Fife went on, "and are still talking about leaving after the city has bent over backwards and provided some of their best work in the interest of Oakland residents, and come up with all of these concessions, even about how all of these wealthy owners don't have to pay for off-site infrastructure, I don't know where we go from here -- after doing somersaults, after receiving insults, after being disrespected, after all of the things Oakland A's fans and Oakland residents have gone through over this last little while. I don't know where we go from here if they're still telling us that they are not rooted in Oakland, that they are not willing to accept what the city staff has put together. ... It's not a negotiation. It's really, 'Do what we say, or we will leave.' That is not rooted. That is not respectful."

Councilwoman Carroll Fife, who represents the district where the project would take place and ultimately abstained from voting, circled back with (A?s President Dave) Kaval to clarify his stance and said, "I'm not exactly [sure] why we're even here today."

"If the A's are not happy with what was produced today," Fife went on, "and are still talking about leaving after the city has bent over backwards and provided some of their best work in the interest of Oakland residents, and come up with all of these concessions, even about how all of these wealthy owners don't have to pay for off-site infrastructure, I don't know where we go from here -- after doing somersaults, after receiving insults, after being disrespected, after all of the things Oakland A's fans and Oakland residents have gone through over this last little while. I don't know where we go from here if they're still telling us that they are not rooted in Oakland, that they are not willing to accept what the city staff has put together. ... It's not a negotiation. It's really, 'Do what we say, or we will leave.' That is not rooted. That is not respectful."

She sounds like a real bitch

So the upshot of this is that all Oakland residents will need to be come fans of the Giants, 49ers, Warriors, and Sharks. Maybe the Giants can move their AAA team from Sacramento to Oakland. I mean, it was in Fresno until very recently, so the transient nature of these AAAs are well-known.

So the upshot of this is that all Oakland residents will need to be come fans of the Giants, 49ers, Warriors, and Sharks. Maybe the Giants can move their AAA team from Sacramento to Oakland. I mean, it was in Fresno until very recently, so the transient nature of these AAAs are well-known.

They don't need to come fans of anyone. Most will just stop being fans..

Would you suddenly become a fan to Cleveland, Chicago?

Cleveland and Chicago are in different states. Oakland is across the bay from San Francisco.

Unless people from Kalamazoo shouldn?t root for the Tigers.

Cleveland and Chicago are in different states. Oakland is across the bay from San Francisco.

Unless people from Kalamazoo shouldn?t root for the Tigers.

So you root against SF and suddenly you're a fan. Maybe the best way to put it, Mets fans rooting for the Yankees.

So you root against SF and suddenly you're a fan. Maybe the best way to put it, Mets fans rooting for the Yankees.

I expect that some A?s fans ?root against? the Giants, but not all of them. With the absence on an Oakland team, some fans would adopt SF.

I don?t see how the NY dynamic can be extended to SF/OAK.

If the Tigers left Detroit I would just continue to be a Tigers fan. I don't go to any games anyway.

No guarantee they keep the Tiger name. Even if they did San Jose Tigers would not appeal to me.

That's odd to me. Don't you live in AZ anyway? If all you do is watch on TV, what does it matter where they play their games?

Back