Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Official Gingrich attack thread

TheVictors03 said:
You mean like in 1992 when Bush Sr had an approval rating over 80% but then lost to Clinton a few months later in decisive fashion? Gingrich is an incumbent as they get, as DC as they come and incredibly inside the beltway. I don't have a horse in the race, but find it amusing to watch the ever-changing frontrunner. And I'd hardly say having a dingbat like Bachmann in the lead, followed by Perry, followed by Cain, now followed by Gingrich is "vetting."

Bachman, Cain & Perry were not well known.....they were vetted and they are what they are.
George HW had Ross Perot in the picture.......Certainly took more Rep votes away from Bush......

TheVictors03 said:
You mean like in 1992 when Bush Sr had an approval rating over 80% but then lost to Clinton a few months later in decisive fashion? Gingrich is an incumbent as they get, as DC as they come and incredibly inside the beltway. I don't have a horse in the race, but find it amusing to watch the ever-changing frontrunner. And I'd hardly say having a dingbat like Bachmann in the lead, followed by Perry, followed by Cain, now followed by Gingrich is "vetting."

It was months.....His approval rating was high in Feb 1991....he tanked because of the economy slowed down......hmmmm....."its the economy stupid".........that's Barry's downfall

Right. So citing some poll in Dec 2011 is in no way predictive of the coming election or likely results. And I said it was "months" and understand perfectly why he lost that election. Somehow invading Iraq to go after "madman Saddam Hussein" wasn't as important as the economy.

As for "vetting" -- what you're saying is that Bachmann, Cain & Perry were all horribly flawed candidates from the outset so now you're left with either Gingrich or Romney, for now, until someone else emerges?

TheVictors03 said:
Right. So citing some poll in Dec 2011 is in no way predictive of the coming election or likely results. And I said it was "months" and understand perfectly why he lost that election. Somehow invading Iraq to go after "madman Saddam Hussein" wasn't as important as the economy.

As for "vetting" -- what you're saying is that Bachmann, Cain & Perry were all horribly flawed candidates from the outset so now you're left with either Gingrich or Romney, for now, until someone else emerges?

I think it will come down to the 2........its too late to be on the ballot in many primaries, so I cant see anyone else entering the race on the repub. side
The economy had a small downturn in the last few months of 1992....bad timing for HW and Perot(20% of the vote) certainly didnt help

yes. I am not 18yrs old and remember it clearly. And it was more basic than that and the Perot impact is exaggerated. The GOP is now experiencing what the Dems were about 10yrs ago - a fractured party with differing constituents, interests and factions. Historically the party does a better job of voting for whoever finally winds up as the candidate, rather than voting on principle, but if it's Gingrich or Romney, I'd say it's a sad, sad day for American voters.

I cant vote for this logic.............

"Obama: More Jobs Created By Unemployment Insurance Than By Keystone"

lets all be unemployed, solves the unemployment problem

People always try to say Perot took votes away from Bush I, but forget he did the same to Clinton.

tsmith7559 said:
I cant vote for this logic.............

"Obama: More Jobs Created By Unemployment Insurance Than By Keystone"

lets all be unemployed, solves the unemployment problem

this is quite possibly one of the biggest straw man arguments I've seen in a while. ty, I needed the laugh
grin.png

I remember how he insisted Romney had no chance against the likes of Perry, Noot, and some others, but quickly changed his tune, proclaiming him the best thing since cavemen discovered fire one the others dropped out.

I'm sure he laid off all his employees and liquidated all his assets like he said he would, he'll be fine though, he prepared for Obamageddon.

Back