Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

*Official UM Hoops Thread*

Great season by a great team...I 'd be lying if I said I'm not extremely disappointed with the results of last night obviously but those kids showed up in March and thats tough for any team let alone one as young as them. I feel like there's no disputing the refs jobbed them for most of the night and it really killed Michigan but in the end whats done is done. Hope all of those kids hold their heads up high this morning, they had a hell of a run when a lot of people thought they were dead in the water. A very memorable time in UM bball history. Now we'll see who stays for another go around.

Go Blue!

Great season by a great team...I 'd be lying if I said I'm not extremely disappointed with the results of last night obviously but those kids showed up in March and thats tough for any team let alone one as young as them. I feel like there's no disputing the refs jobbed them for most of the night and it really killed Michigan but in the end whats done is done. Hope all of those kids hold their heads up high this morning, they had a hell of a run when a lot of people thought they were dead in the water. A very memorable time in UM bball history. Now we'll see who stays for another go around.

Go Blue!

Exactly. They showed up to play today and made the University of Michigan look great.

I don't even blame the refs. Yeah, Pitino and UL always gets all the calls. We knew that going in. They don't call him the godfather for nothing. We would've got a real basketball game if it would've been Wichita St vs Michigan. Thing is, it came down to UL making 2 or 3 more shots than Michigan. If Hardaway was as hot as Hancock, then MIchigan would've been cutting down the nets

It's great they came that close.

The loss is tough. But looking back on the run. Wins over #5, #4, #3, and #1 seeds. Wins over "unbeatable" havoc and 2-3 zone defenses. Incredible buzzer beaters and some flat out ass whippins. Break out play of McGary and Spike. It's been awhile since I was this excited about ][V][ basketball and its future.

I don't even blame the refs. Yeah, Pitino and UL always gets all the calls. We knew that going in. They don't call him the godfather for nothing. We would've got a real basketball game if it would've been Wichita St vs Michigan. Thing is, it came down to UL making 2 or 3 more shots than Michigan. If Hardaway was as hot as Hancock, then MIchigan would've been cutting down the nets

It's great they came that close.

A couple more baskets like if someone goaltended a sure bucket, or Louisville not getting 3 free throws on a play where Hancock dove into Burke on a shot, or maybe the few more buckets McGary could have had if they had given Hancock his 4th foul instead of someone else before he drew McGary's 4th foul? No one will ever change my mind that UM got screwed all night long and it sucks to have to use that excuse but I think in a fairly well officiated game UM wins...that being said it wasn't my intention to make my post about that.

ESPN doesn't even have us in the top 25 next year. Wow. We're usually over rated thats a surprise.

We could lose our 4 best players. Why is that surprising to you?

Because I don't think we're losing Robinson at the very least, and I think we will keep McGary in the end too. We also have some nice freshman coming in. I just have a hard time believing Iowa would be ranked higher than us.

Because I don't think we're losing Robinson at the very least, and I think we will keep McGary in the end too. We also have some nice freshman coming in. I just have a hard time believing Iowa would be ranked higher than us.

Well, it is THEIR projections. I'm sure they are projecting us to lose them.

Andrew Dakich commits as a preferred walkon

Andrew is the definition of a true point guard. He isn’t going to wow you with his quickness or athleticism, but he gets the job done. Very high basketball IQ, great passer, good vision, just everything you would want in a floor general. I was extremely impressed with his improvement over the summer; he shoots the ball well from the perimeter now. Oh, and by the way, he is the son of Dan Dakich. Low-majors that want a smart point guard who will win you games, give Andrew a call.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VbgK9ZzyUE

Last edited:
Andrew Dakich commits as a preferred walkon

Andrew is the definition of a true point guard. He isn?t going to wow you with his quickness or athleticism, but he gets the job done. Very high basketball IQ, great passer, good vision, just everything you would want in a floor general. I was extremely impressed with his improvement over the summer; he shoots the ball well from the perimeter now. Oh, and by the way, he is the son of Dan Dakich. Low-majors that want a smart point guard who will win you games, give Andrew a call.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VbgK9ZzyUE

To be honest, he looks pretty slow. Looks like he has a decent shot, but I don't think he should get any playing time this upcoming year. I don't know if he'll be able to play Big Ten level basketball.

I sure hope the new guards jell before the big ten season starts... Is Youth ok in Hoops? I sure know it does not work football...LOL

LeVert may get some PT at PG this year.

The rumblings have been there throughout the offseason practices, and while the Michigan assistant coaches were on WTKA’s Michigan Insider Tuesday morning, LaVall Jordan finally came out and said it: Caris LeVert could see minutes at point guard this season.

“I wouldn’t hold that (LeVert and Nik Stauskas playing in the backcourt together) out of the realm of possibility,” Jordan said to Sam Webb during the show. “And (LeVert) played point guard in high school. They would put the ball in his hands late-game, and he was the guy who would initiate the offense and take care of the basketball.”

This may come as a surprise to Michigan fans who watched LeVert as a freshman last year. Often the Pickerington, OH native seemed to rush things on the court and didn’t do a great job of taking care of the ball. He certainly wasn’t a facilitator on the floor.

But a lot can change in one offseason. Jordan said that LeVert has improved tremendously and is up to about 190 pounds. Moreover, LeVert has a natural advantage over smaller guards, for whom visibility of passing lanes can be an issue against taller defenders.

“With Caris and Nik in the backcourt, it gives you a little more of a Darius Morris feel, where guys at the position as a passer, some guys like Trey and maybe Derrick Walton now, they can’t deliver, just due to size,” Jordan said.

But even more than the obvious physical changed LeVert has undergone, it’s his more cerebral approach to the game that has impressed Jordan — and convinced him LeVert has the ability to contribute at the point guard position.

“Last year, his role was a defender, an energy guy off the bench, and anything else was kind of bonus points,” Jordan said. “Whereas this year, he’s really gotten into his film study. The game has slowed down for him, his pace is much, much better and his ability to make decisions to where you can put him in those positions is something we feel comfortable with this year.”

With two players already competing for minutes at the point guard spot, it isn’t likely LeVert would take over the point guard position on a full-time basis. However, this revelation does give Michigan some very interesting options in its guard rotation. If the Wolverines wish to go big on the perimeter, LeVert at the lead guard position opens up the opportunity for a LeVert-Stauskas-Glenn Robinson III look at the first three spots. With each standing at a long 6-foot-6, this could present a defensive nightmare for opposing teams.

With so much speculation swirling around about Michigan’s possible lineups, this throws an added factor into an already-confusing situation. However, Michigan coaches stress that their goal in both recruiting and player development is versatility, and this development would make for even more options for this staff to tinker with.

Back