Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Official UM vs. Maryland Score Prediction Thread (NOW WITH PICTURES)

Michchamp

Who: Michigan Wolverines & Maryland Terrapins
What: Play a Foot Ball Game... A BIG TEN Foot Ball Game
Where: Ann Arbor, MI
When: Saturday, September 24, 2022 @ Noon, Eastern
Why: I don't know. Maybe because we are flawed and incomplete beings, and athletics contests fill our need for simple, objective determinations of things like "winners" and "losers"? Your guess is as good as mine.
TV: Fox
Sex?: YES PLEASE!!!!

7a0c5b922c428e5115b79f09aee3c678.jpg

Line: MICHIGAN -16.5 / o/u 65.5

So there's the basic info.

Maryland is currently 3-0, having played a tougher schedule than we have (which admittedly isn't saying very much); they have beaten Buffalo 31-10, played road game @ Charlotte (LOL) and won 56-21, and beat SMU at home 34-27.

1594_logo.jpg

Some are saying the Maryland offense is "high powered" but you won't hear that from me. Buffalo and Charlotte are in the realm of toughness of Colorado State and UConn, and they only put up 31 on Buffalo. SMU might be decent-ish, but that was only a 7 pt win at home, they trailed in the 4th, and SMU had a chance to tie it late, but couldn't convert on 4th and goal. MD had 15 penalties at home...

Sagarin ranks Maryland 45th and predicts a 15 pt. Michigan home win.

Maryland is coached by "Mediocre Mike" Locksley in his 4th Season there (MD record: 16-23), and their offense is helmed by Former Spartan QB Dan Enos, but for how long nobody knows, since he just kinda wanders around and takes new jobs here and there. He might not even still be there Saturday, he might be in Arizona or Nebraska.

hobo+stick+11.jpg

(above) Dan Enos contemplating his next career move

Stats Watch!
192-128.png

Honestly, we're comparable in the important Team Offensive Stats (YPG, Passing Eff, Rush Offense), although when you compare points scored, we're significantly better.

Their lack of solid defense is the big difference, specifically their pass defense which is lackluster (but not as lackluster as a Mel Tucker Pass defense); they've given up a lot of yards to mediocre opponents.

MD has also turned the ball over 7 times in 3 games (compared to 1 in 3 games for us).

I think this game may present more of a challenge for us, just because we've been able to coast to three easy blowout wins, while they've actually had to grit out a close win last week, but we seem so solid & well-drilled that I think this should not be much of a battle. If they make dumb mistakes, it could get out of hand early.

SOOOO using all that valuable information, make your picks and post a bit of analysis if you so choose, but as always, SAVE THE WOOFING AND BARKING FOR THE OTHER THREADS!!!

30b5be7c2f4b4a30d381e46c8781f96b-original.jpg

Looks like you put in some nice work on this thread!

UM will crush them, easily covering the 17 point spread.

UM 48
Mary 17

First real test of the season. Marieland has gotten most of their yardage by passing. They have also given up most of their yardage on defense to passing. So, it is going to be a test of the Michigan defensive secondary. But JJ is going to throw throw throw. The first half will be telling. My gut tells me to go Michigan 42, Maryland 15. But I'm gonna go for Michigan 56, Maryland 21.

Well done, Champ. I'm pretty sure this is the first time we've had to pleasure of seeing September Maryland, which is typically a far better team than October or November Maryland. I do think Talia is the best QB we're going to face all season outside of Stroud (Clifford is too inconsistent) but they have no run game.

Predictions:
JJ has a bone-headed int but throws for 300 and 3 TDs.
Maryland moves the ball early during their scripted plays but gets very little after the first quarter.
Corum runs for 150 yards and 3 TDs and becomes the leader in Heisman talks.

Michigan - 49
Maryland - 17

Last edited:
Maryland looks strikingly similar to the team they were last year. A team that Michigan went on the road and beat 59-18.

Michigan - 52
Maryland - 20

I just heard that Erick All is out for the rest of the season. Back injury needing surgery. Saw it on FaceBook. Anyone hear this. If it is true I need to change my score prediction.

I just heard that Erick All is out for the rest of the season. Back injury needing surgery. Saw it on FaceBook. Anyone hear this. If it is true I need to change my score prediction.

Heard the rumor, but Newsome has been interviewed on Wednesday and yesterday. He never mentioned any injury. On Wednesday, he said this:

?I think that?s one of the things that we?re really, really lucky to have,? tight ends coach Grant Newsome said on Wednesday. ?We have five, six maybe even seven deep who can go in at tight end and can win us games. Obviously, Erick and Schoonie are the two top dogs but, behind them, Joel has done a heckuva job. He absolutely dominated a guy at the goal line at UConn. He?s playing his tail off. Max Bredeson is playing really, really well. Colston Loveland, Matt Hibner, Carter Selzer. We feel like, in that group, we have a lot of guys who we can win a lot of games with.?

Heard the rumor, but Newsome has been interviewed on Wednesday and yesterday. He never mentioned any injury. On Wednesday, he said this:

?I think that?s one of the things that we?re really, really lucky to have,? tight ends coach Grant Newsome said on Wednesday. ?We have five, six maybe even seven deep who can go in at tight end and can win us games. Obviously, Erick and Schoonie are the two top dogs but, behind them, Joel has done a heckuva job. He absolutely dominated a guy at the goal line at UConn. He?s playing his tail off. Max Bredeson is playing really, really well. Colston Loveland, Matt Hibner, Carter Selzer. We feel like, in that group, we have a lot of guys who we can win a lot of games with.?

I haven't seen any other reports. When I pressed they just said his back was injured. No details. I think it is bullshit. I'm stickin with my score prediction.

I haven't seen any other reports. When I pressed they just said his back was injured. No details. I think it is bullshit. I'm stickin with my score prediction.
I think losing All would be a bigger deal against a better opponent. I don't think he'd have much of an impact on the score of this one, and certainly not the outcome! Hope he's okay. I didn't realize he's a senior this year.

I think losing All would be a bigger deal against a better opponent. I don't think he'd have much of an impact on the score of this one, and certainly not the outcome! Hope he's okay. I didn't realize he's a senior this year.

I still think Michigan wins even without All, but I am not so sure they would score in the 50s. Not just because of the loss of All as a receiver, but also because of the loss in blocking for the run. Anyway, I don't believe it is a true report.

Offense rolls. Not sure on the D yet. Hard to know if they're legit or not. I'll go with the D being legit, but I have a feeling they'll score a couple touchdowns and a couple field goals, but my official prediction is...

62-10 michigan.

We do have a good TE group. Some young and untested, but very talented.

Well... none of us came close.

I guess twentythree and b311j came closest with the lowest predicted spreads (24 pts) of anyone.

After 4 weeks, there's now a 5 way tie for 1st place:

1, Rumseyhouse, Michchamp, TomDalton, twentythree, and b311j

methinks we're all going to get a participation trophy at the end of the year, like the olds are always complaining about these days.

Back