Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

OK Football rules People...

FC is player specific, just cause one guy calls for a FC it doesn't mean the ball can't be returned. I've seen guys call for a FC and peter out only to have the ball bounce to someone else and they returned it. Not a 100% on this but isn't that what happened last year against Dallas.

Right but it can't be caught by someone else and not returned. FC in effect.

elrod said:
Right....isn't that what schles said too, just kind of worded differently? Let's make it simple, now I know this won't solve hellifino's issue since we're just a bunch of assholes on a message board. But we're all agreeing a valid fair catch consists of a player waving his hand to signal a fair catch and that same player must be the one who catches it. Player A cannot signal a fair catch and have player B catch it. That's what we're saying right?

If not, then I'm not lost...which wouldn't be surprising. Hahahaha

right, on a kick return, you can't have 4 or 5 guys signalling for a fair catch. in order to trick the punting team. it has to be something like a deception rule.

That'd be cool though, 11 guys with a fair catch signal. Lol.

hellifino said:
elrod said:
Right....isn't that what schles said too, just kind of worded differently? Let's make it simple, now I know this won't solve hellifino's issue since we're just a bunch of assholes on a message board. But we're all agreeing a valid fair catch consists of a player waving his hand to signal a fair catch and that same player must be the one who catches it. Player A cannot signal a fair catch and have player B catch it. That's what we're saying right?

If not, then I'm not lost...which wouldn't be surprising. Hahahaha

right, on a kick return, you can't have 4 or 5 guys signalling for a fair catch. in order to trick the punting team. it has to be something like a deception rule.

Hester signaled for a fair catch and Knox took it to the house (although called back on a terrible hold penalty) just a few weeks ago. I don't think there is a rule against deception, in fact most big play returns thrive of it.

But Knox couldn't FC the ball without his own hand up. That's the discussion we're having.

after further review of the play where Hester so called for a fair catch and Knox ran it in. I believe Joe Buck blew the call in the booth, he had everyone believing that Hester called for a fair catch, when to me he didn't. watch where his hands and arms are actually at, at no time did they ever raise above the helmet. if anything it was a great acting play by Hester, but he never actually called for a fair catch. look at the highlight and tell me what ya'll think. http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/09/25/phantom-holding-call-in-bears-packers-game-nullifies-one-of-the-best-punt-returns-in-nfl-history/ 1:35 sec. mark

Two things:

1. I thought the discussion we were having was the same one Mitch thought we were having.

2. I do not believe that Hester called for a fair catch on that play. He just made it seem as if the ball was coming to him...

Back