Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Old Timer's Game

tycobb420

Anyone know when the first Tigers Old Timer's game was? I found the last one was in 1999 (Forbes article). Nothing about the first. I recall a reference somewhere way back when about one in the 50s. But maybe that was more of a reunion as opposed to a game?

I found something in Ty Cobb's wiki page that references a 1947 old timers game but I don't think that's the very 1st one either.

At the 1947 Old Timers' Game in Yankee Stadium, he warned catcher Benny Bengough to move back, claiming he was rusty and hadn't swung a bat in almost 20 years. Bengough accordingly stepped back to avoid being struck by Cobb's backswing. Having repositioned the catcher, Cobb cannily laid down a perfect bunt in front of the plate and easily beat the throw from a surprised Bengough.[3]

That was at Yankee Stadium. I found several references to that game. Nothing about the first one in Detroit though.

You'd think it would be readily found with a google search!

The 1958 game was the only thing I could really find when I searched earlier.

The 1958 game was the only thing I could really find when I searched earlier.

Yeah this is amazing really. Is it too much to find out what year the first one was? lol At least I know it ended in 1999.

Back