Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

On pace for a record low upsets (since '02)

Michchamp

yesterday the higher seed won 14 out of 16 games

we're on pace for 4 1st round upsets, which would be the fewest number since I started tracking tourney stats in '02.

I felt weird picking the high seeds through after I was done, especially after the last couple years, but I hope my gut was correct and this holds up. I was 13 of 16 yesterday. Stupid UNLV. I still have all Sweet 16 teams in it, at least.

I can also discern no statistical correlation between the numbers of 1st and 2nd round upsets. For a couple years it seemed like if there were a high number of 1st round upsets, there would be fewer in the 2nd round, but that trend hasn't borne itself out.

Kinda sucks - I got VCU and Colorado, but missed on Iowa St and Gonzaga. Oh well.

I missed on ISU & Gonzaga too. And then UNLV.

I have 3 more upsets picked: Texas, Xavier, and Purdue.

I also have Xavier and Purdue.

Is Texas any good? I missed that one if they are.

Well, I picked Alabama over Creighton. Is that an upset?
I have Purdue, too
I have south florida, NC St, and Virginia

Yesterday, I didn't go with too many upsets, today I guess i did. I had Wichita St going to the sweet 16, but I don't think that pick is going to do me in. I figure that sweet 16 spot is probably spread out between IU, WSU, and VCU and then they'll lose to UK, so not much damage done.

Iowa st was an 8, so they don't count as an upset. I picked them. I had no faith in UConn this year.

I had Colorado

all in all, i'm doing all right, but my bracket has the potential to fall into the black hole easily with a couple of wrong results.

yeah, Iowa St. technically wasn't an upset.

The 8/9 seeds are close, but according to my calculations, out of the 40 8/9 games played since '02, the 9 seed has won 18/40 or 45% of the time.

I had Texas winning because I think Cincinnati is sloppy and the Big XII was better than the Big East. I could easily be wrong on that one. Texas was a bubble team all season.

It seems like most people have done well in the big pool I'm in, and most people have the favorites going far. The games that I REALLY need are K State beating Syracuse, and Baylor beating Duke.

I have Kentucky over Ohio* in the final.

It is bad to bet with your heart, but I couldn't bring myself to pick Ohio* - Picked Florida State instead. :*)

well, I guess I spoke to soon. 8 games remain. one more upset, and we have 5 total, including a HUGE 2/15 choke job.

Wow what a day I am very disappointed that UM lost but who saw both Duke and Missouri going down as well.

I accept the blame. I had a premonition after we laid an egg in the btt. And then another when we slipped to a 4 seed

I shouldnt have made this thread

Well if we had played New Mexico st, Montana or Davidson we would have had no problem...Ohio U was the best # 13 see??? I Thought we were the best # 4 seed.. Weird how it all works out...No one will even watch the USF verses Ohio U. game LoL.I know I won't.. I think USF wins by 10... I thought they would beat Temple after I watched them in the play in game...The play very good defense...

Back