Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Open QB competition

Monster

Forum Manager
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
Sacramento Kings
Michigan Wolverines
Detroit Pistons
Do we start taking bets on Harbaugh doing this? Cade put up good numbers and made good choices with the ball and is clearly better than Milton at this point, but does anyone doubt that Harbaugh will split snaps in practice between them?

In the game thread, i brought this up as a joke, but the more i think about it, the more realistic it seems. Milton wins the practice week and Jim forgets everything he just saw in this game and gives him the start.

The competition is over. McNamara has got to be the starter. If Jimmy can't see that, then he is done coaching at Michigan. The offense just runs better with McNamara at the QB position. We all saw it in this game, and the last game. Compare how the offense was playing with Milton as QB vs with McNamara as QB. It was like two different offenses. I don't know what happens in practice, but what is happening in practice is not translating into what is happening in the game. What happens in the game is what counts.

yeah, i think the idea that it's "open" can't be fully honest. milton responded well to McNamara's play, which is good, but his confidence looks shattered while Cade looks like a "Baker Mayfield" out there running around. seemed contagious to the rest of the offense, too. Coming home to play penn state over thanksgiving with some momentum while psu comes in to the game in horrible shape.

I start Cade all day long and leave him in until he deserves to be pulled (if then).

I just hope Cade doesn't forget his check downs like past UM quarterbacks the past 5 years. Check downs have to be quick. If the 1st couple reads aren't open, get rid of it to the back or get 3 or 4yds yourself. If you wait looking for the longer routes, your check down is irrelevant. The linebacker or corner has had time to adjust. When pressured, Milton lost focus and couldn't decide until too late. He thought his strong arm could make up for a late decision.. He was wrong and it produced inaccurate passes. The one thing that is definitely in Cade's favor is that he was pressured from the get go and he made plays. Upon making those plays the oline actually tightened up and played well.

I hope the much improved offensive play will benefit the defense. But it didn't seem like it did with Rutgers being able to come back. But who knows what could have happened if the offense had been playing the whole game like it was after McNamara came in. We shall see this weekend vs PSU.

Back