Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

OSU OC Hartline hospitalized following ATV accident

Michchamp

Riding his ATV (apparently one of the ones that's more like a off-road golf cart, or as I call them "Redneck Maimers") on his property at 1:20 AM on a Sunday morning. Presumably after a long night of studying... game film. And drinking according to the 911 call.

His film-watching buddy was also seriously injured.

Hope he recovers soon. Link

Not sure if that's an offense on private property.

no, but drunken driving that injures another could be. Someone commented there's a vehicular assault statute in Ohio, and injuring a 3rd party while driving drunk are elements of it.

not sure how it shakes out on private property (shouldn't matter), but I doubt his drinking buddy will seek to press charges or cooperate.

Not a great look for Ohio State, especially after the Zach Smith issue.

Why are they repeatedly hiring drunk dumbasses? Not like drunk 24-year-olds... guys old enough to know better...

Not sure if that's an offense on private property.

Yes its a charge on private property. You can get a DUI on your own property if it is warranted.

Its a BS charge IMO most of the time, but different circumstance may arise. (at least it is in Indiana. Its been 8 years since I've studied Ohio law. Disclaimer - not an attorney)

Last edited:
Yes its a charge on private property. You can get a DUI on your own property if it is warranted.

Its a BS charge IMO most of the time, but different circumstance may arise. (at least it is in Indiana. Its been 8 years since I've studied Ohio law. Disclaimer - not an attorney)

I did some "legal research" and according to all the handful of Ohio DUI attorneys' websites I read, yes you can get a DUI/OVI in Ohio on private property, including your own.

I don't think it's likely in this case, unless the other guy dies unexpectedly, or there's some big outcry.

Still a Bad look for the team... plus it's tough to discipline players when your drunken antics are national news.

This is what happens to a program when you get away with cheating for years, and go 16-5 against your rival this century.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now this is the sort of content I come here for - this is excellent. Lord knows I?m no attorney but I do recall a bit of an issue UpNorth with drunk snowmobiling on private property. Lots of rednecks get maimed on snow machines too, eh?

"Let's drink and go on an ATV in the dark" ... not a prudent decision.

"Let's drink and go on an ATV in the dark" ... not a prudent decision.

I rode ATV's in the dark once (completely sober) on a rural property, and it was SOBERING how slow you had to go to safely travel without flipping it over or getting tossed over the handlebars like a ragdoll. Even small-ish looking bumps that wouldn't be much to ski over become launching pads at speed.

and those things aren't very stable either... center of gravity feels way higher than a car

I can only imagine how stupidly fast Hartline was going, and wonder whether either of them felt even a modicum of concern...

When I grew up in Michigan and in my years after college, there wasn't a year that went by that someone didn't lose their head, either by snowmobile or atv. Barbwire is unforgiving.

Last edited:
When I grew up in Michigan and in my years after college, there wasn't a year that went by that someone didn't lose their head, either by snowmobile or atv. Barbwire is unforgiving.

Yeah, unless it's my own property and I'm thoroughly familiar with it, I'm not doing either of those things.

Nothing wrong with WALKING in the woods, snowshoeing, or cross-country skiing, and all of those are much better for your health...

Yeah, unless it's my own property and I'm thoroughly familiar with it, I'm not doing either of those things.

Nothing wrong with WALKING in the woods, snowshoeing, or cross-country skiing, and all of those are much better for your health...

you do a lot of snowshoeing and cross country skiing in Houston?

Back