Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

OT: Deadly Friday

TheVictors

So when will we finally put an end to the stupid/relatively new invention, Black Friday?

Woman in LA maces people trying to buy some 'doorbuster' and a guy in WV at a Target collapses and dies while other shoppers literally step over him ...?! My sister, and her Sparty wisdom decides to go out at midnight on Thanksgiving and gets shoved by two 20-somethings at a WalMart, pushing her away from some electronic gadget she was trying to buy for her son?!

People are so fucking stupid.

I went out that morning and almost got in 3 car accidents with people that were driving all crazy.

Its a mess every year. I really don't understand why they do it. The stores say they have to do it so that they make a profit for the year, but that really makes no sense. They could just do it all week and make even more money.

I think it's Darwinism at it's best. Survival of the fittest. If you are dumb enough to endanger yourself to save a few bucks, then it's your own damn fault if you get injured.

On a slightly more serious note, I do not condone the violent and inhumane activities that occur. But, if you go, maybe bring a baseball bat or a stun gun to combat the mace, shoving, etc. Everyone should know by now that people in mass are complete fucking morons.

It's the season of Christmas inverted and this is the logical outcome.

Heh, I enjoy BF shopping. Got a Nikon for $99 and I love that camera. I go out with my 2 sisters in law, mother in law, and we have a good time. I've been going for 10 years now and I have yet to see anything crazy. Damn it. ;)

jesndave said:
Heh, I enjoy BF shopping. Got a Nikon for $99 and I love that camera. I go out with my 2 sisters in law, mother in law, and we have a good time. I've been going for 10 years now and I have yet to see anything crazy. Damn it. ;)

yeah, I think a lot of it is just hype. the retailers and their lobbying associations push these stories in the media to generate buzz.

I had the news on that morning and they were interviewing the Toys R' Us CEO on what the "must-have" toys were for that season, as if that was somehow newsworthy.

TheVictors03 said:
So when will we finally put an end to the stupid/relatively new invention, Black Friday?

Woman in LA maces people trying to buy some 'doorbuster' and a guy in WV at a Target collapses and dies while other shoppers literally step over him ...?! My sister, and her Sparty wisdom decides to go out at midnight on Thanksgiving and gets shoved by two 20-somethings at a WalMart, pushing her away from some electronic gadget she was trying to buy for her son?!

She should not have gone to wal-mart.

jesndave said:

When I was a younger, single man, I liked to go to the mall on Black Friday. It was filled with thousands of women. I'd just sit on a bench for a while or walk around for a while and look at all the scenery.

Iowa vs. Nebraska is an even newer invention, and even though it was one sided this year, it looks like it could be a pretty good natural rivalry.

LSU vs. Arkansas has been around a little bit longer.

I think I'll stick with my Friday after Thanksgiving football and leftovers, and leave Black Friday shopping to someone else.

I did a little bit of shopping on "Black Friday."

Had to buy a new tire for the Champmobile (noticed on the way back to Michigan, one had a huge bulge in the sidewall after I hit a pothole). Now I have 3 tires w/25K miles on them, and one new one...

I also went to the MDen to buy a new Michigan coffee mug (my last one broke), and picked up a maize and blue scarf. It was crowded, and I waited in line for 20 freaking minutes, but that was it.

Bummed that it was 60 degrees for the ohio game, and I didn't even need the scarf.

MichChamp02 said:
I did a little bit of shopping on "Black Friday."

Had to buy a new tire for the Champmobile (noticed on the way back to Michigan, one had a huge bulge in the sidewall after I hit a pothole). Now I have 3 tires w/25K miles on them, and one new one...

I also went to the MDen to buy a new Michigan coffee mug (my last one broke), and picked up a maize and blue scarf. It was crowded, and I waited in line for 20 freaking minutes, but that was it.

Bummed that it was 60 degrees for the ohio game, and I didn't even need the scarf.

I'm surprised they let you walk out with one tire...

Yeah, I've gone with my friends a couple times to Walmart on BF, but i haven't seen anything crazy yet there. Didn't let my friends sucker me into going this year though.

yeah wal-mart sucks on black friday. I don't know if all of the wal-marts out there are the so called super-walmarts or not, but they are out here in Cali. I went with my wife, her uncle and his wife last year on black friday. The store is huge of course, and when we finally got inside I had to ditch my cart because literally there wasn't enough room to move around. Then when we finally grabbed a few things, we saw that the line wrapped nearly around the entire store. Fuck that, we left.

Then, when we were pulling out of the parking spot two cars honked their horns at each other and tried to cut each other off so they would get the spot. Needless to say, we had to wait for them to back off before we could get out. Once we did, they nearly crashed trying to get into the spot.

Worst scam I heard personally was some deal at Radio Shack (yes, I was surprised its still in business too) where my Bro-in-Law (Buckeye, granted) went in for some electronics deal. Being a gentleman, ha apparently let a woman go ahead of him. The woman apparently knows the store manager and chats him up, asking for this doorbuster electronics item. She walks off, my Bro-in-law steps up and says, "I'd like one of those also..."

"Oh, sorry, we only had the one unit in stock"

Are you fucking kidding me?!

TheVictors03 said:
Worst scam I heard personally was some deal at Radio Shack (yes, I was surprised its still in business too) where my Bro-in-Law (Buckeye, granted) went in for some electronics deal. Being a gentleman, ha apparently let a woman go ahead of him. The woman apparently knows the store manager and chats him up, asking for this doorbuster electronics item. She walks off, my Bro-in-law steps up and says, "I'd like one of those also..."

"Oh, sorry, we only had the one unit in stock"

Are you fucking kidding me?!
That's the classic move, and the cause for all the craziness. I remember back in the 80's people fighting over cabbage patch kids. I was maybe a teenager, and I remember asking myself WTF is wrong with people? It's the same today. People willing to fight over $5.00 worth of savings. Totally not worth the effort in my opinion, but I guess some people love it.. Nothing gets me in the holiday spirit like a fist fight in a department store over some stupid gadget..
angry.png
:(" title=":mad:" border="0"/>

I just don't understand

they're supposed to disclose on the ad how many of each doorbuster will be in stock.

fucking skeezoids.

TheVictors03 said:

Typical West Virginia. Those poor white trailer trash will do anything for a good sale. Lol

Also, I have no clue how Radio Shack is still in business. Who goes there?

Back