Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

OT: ESPN forums shutting down

mjsb2

Sorry if a thread has already been made, didn't see any, but this is also the only board I really post on here.

Anyways, just noticed that ESPN will be permanently shutting their boards down on July 17th. Hopefully some of the better posters that stayed back on ESPN will finally make their way over here.

That place was a graveyard mostly anyhow.

Yeah, I wouldn't have known if not for another poster mentioning it on another forum.

Haven't been there since they overhauled the board and fucked it all up.

This was just posted over there sometime this afternoon. I was over there at the mlb home this morning for any new story links, and then I look at the message board, and it wasn't there this morning.

Effective July 17, ESPN will be shutting down forums permanently. We hope you will move your communities to our game conversations, blogs and stories. A Facebook account will be required to post comments on new articles.

The people that ruined it the 3 years ago? have already started with the facebook for the writers if you want to comment on any articles. In fact, most of the Detroit media sites have done the same.

Anyone here have facebook? I would guess many do.

I have avoided facebook like it's a plague. Some like it, but that kind of exposure is just not for me.

I have a facebook account but I would never in a million years use it to post on any forum like espn. I wouldn't trust arguing with people on a random sports forum like espn. I would consider doing it here since there are some controls, but not there.

I guess the plus might be it actually may cut down on the trolling.

I tried to sign in 3 times with my old KC account over there and wasn't able to.

Did they already make it so you had to have facebook account to get on right now?
If one of you read this and don't have facebook, will you try to sign on with your old espn account?

espn blows so bad. Feel sorry for all that stayed there.

Same here Ron, seems they already locked out non-facebook logins.

I tried to sign in 3 times with my old KC account over there and wasn't able to.

Did they already make it so you had to have facebook account to get on right now?
If one of you read this and don't have facebook, will you try to sign on with your old espn account?

espn blows so bad. Feel sorry for all that stayed there.

I couldn't get in either....probably just a glitch for right now.

Thanks guys.

Not sure if it is a start now or not.

I wanted to go and make another post on the Tigers board to check with me at my inbox over there to inbox them back to give them the link for here.

Just thinking if some over there do in fact come over and read as guests, maybe they will sign up here.
That angerboard is a proboards like the previous one we had.

Last edited:
And just in case anyone is interested, it sounds like a lot of espn posters are going to migrate over to this board...so bookmark it for future consideration.

http://angersports.boards.net/

Never in a million years.
Sorry!

The Facebook sign-in format works fine at newspaper websites. It's interesting participating in all the Tigers articles. Instead of responding to threads like we have here, we just respond to stories written by the likes of Kurt Mensching, Tom Gage, Lynn Henning, Tony Paul George Sipple, Drew Sharp, Mitch Albom....etc...etc.

I do not participate in Facebook beyond responding to newspaper articles. Like most here, I want nothing to do with chatting with friends, relatives and strangers on the internet. Same with Twitter... no thanks.

Last edited:
If anyone here that has Facebook would like to post over there that 90% of the old espn Tigers and Lions message boards are here from the initial format changes to the espn boards from 3 years ago, and just post the words Detroit Sports Forum without a link would be appreciated.
Maybe a portion of them will come over and sign up with us.
Thanks.

I broke down and got a my facebook account working again a few months back and it takes some getting used to but its ok.. Not sure how I feel about nonstop posting on it though... This board is the best for what we want it to be... Be interesting to see if we many espn posters over here.

The biggest dumbest mistake ever, not only ESPN but others as well - and that's Facebook. It just cuts some of the public out. There were some apps for my tablet where you need Facebook as well. So fuckin' stupid.

Just looked over at the Tigers board 2pm. At least two posters from here had posted in threads today.
Do any of you want to add our Detroit Sports Forum site name to the board closing thread or to add it in a new thread over there?

If anyone here that has Facebook would like to post over there that 90% of the old espn Tigers and Lions message boards are here from the initial format changes to the espn boards from 3 years ago, and just post the words Detroit Sports Forum without a link would be appreciated.
Maybe a portion of them will come over and sign up with us.
Thanks.

Bump for a poster here with facebook to post Detroit Sports Forum in a new thread or existing thread at the espn Tigers board so the ones still there can sign up here as an option.
Thanks in advance to whoever does this to help out our old poster friends that stayed there these past 3 years.

Back