Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

OT (kind of) - Jerseys

elrod817

So I was listening to sports radio today while cruising around my territory again and I caught part of a Donovan McNabb radio show. He made the comment about how anyone over the age of 25 should not be wearing jerseys, and if they do it shouldn't have another man's name on the back. I remember back in the ESPN days a guy who had "undercover" (I don't remember the full name) in his name had a similar stance.

What say you?

I personally don't understand the harm. I think if I put my last name on a jersey that's kind of cheesy and blank jerseys can go either way depending on the team.

So I was listening to sports radio today while cruising around my territory again and I caught part of a Donovan McNabb radio show. He made the comment about how anyone over the age of 25 should not be wearing jerseys, and if they do it shouldn't have another man's name on the back. I remember back in the ESPN days a guy who had "undercover" (I don't remember the full name) in his name had a similar stance.

What say you?

I personally don't understand the harm. I think if I put my last name on a jersey that's kind of cheesy and blank jerseys can go either way depending on the team.

I don't see what the problem is and I bet most of the public would agree because all I see at games are 25+ year old wearing team jerseys.

For me, it's kind of the opposite.

If you are older than like 14, don't have your own name on the back unless you actually play professional sports.

Just my $.02

I'm not a big jersey guy myself and probably wouldn't get one to wear with another guy's name on it. The personalized ones are a little cheesy too (kinda like vanity plates on cars), but I get why people like them. If I buy a jersey, it's probably gonna a signed display piece or just a blank one to wear to games or something. To each their own though... do whatever floats your boat. I really don't have a big issue with it either way.

Grown men probably shouldn't care as much as we do about the outcome of a children's game but we do, the whole premise of professional sports is childish and irrational when you get right down to it (and some would include the pay scale, which Donovan probably wouldn't argue against). So is it kind of childish to wear a football jersey of your favorite team/player, probably. I have a CJ jersey, wear it to the games and don't give it a second thought.

I think what Donovan is getting at is that we shouldn't have role models/sports heros as grown men and that we should grow out of that by the time we are 25. Which I think does happen, for example I idolized Barry when I was a kid, CJ I am just a fan of him and want to support the team in general. So I think the reasoning for owning/wearing a jersey change as well. If you are forty and idolize CJ it's a bit weird.

I just have one more thing to say to McNabb...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V0EZobdiJ4M

cheeno, that was a well thought out and nicely written response. A+

The vibe that I got from Donovan and the poster on ESPN before they went robust, was that we demean ourselves as men to put another man's name on our back. Which baffles me. I mean yeah if I got a cheeno jersey that would be odd, but as you said, the reason we, or I rather, wear a jersey is from a fan perspective only. And of course the jerseys I have the lay football and baseball fans in Pennsylvania have no idea who they are so I get the "Who the fuck is that?" often or when I sport the Lem Barney jersey songs about purple dinosaurs.

king's got the right idea, I think...who gives a shit.

There are exceptions. Like a Tigers' Higginson jersey. That's a classic that anyone can don.

I'm okay with adult Lions fans wearing a jersey of a now retired star player who they idolized as a kid, for me that would be Lem Barney, Mike Lucci, Alex Karras, Greg Landry or Bill Munson, for example, but I could see older folks wearing a Moore, Sanders, or Sims jersey (who would wear a Scott Mitchell or Joey Harrington jersey, unless for the shits and giggles?) especially if they purchased it or they got it as a gift during their playing days, and of course if it still fits...haha!!

But as far as active players....nope!!

So its okay to wear a Young Sr. Jersey, b/c he is an ex-Lion as well as quite probably ex-NFL, since it would likely be a controversial convo-starter, and could increase in value, if Titus manages to turn his private life into a higher-profile, albeit criminally notorious one, and it certainly looks like he is well on his way of doing just that...dlol.

I wonder how much a used but excellent condition #10 Colts Art Schlichter, a #16 Chargers/Cowboys Ryan Leaf, or a #32 Bills Simpson jersey would sell for on eBay?

Last edited:
I have never worn or bought a Jersey. I think the older you get the dumber it looks when that person is wearing one. I really think it looks stupid when you see someone wearing one if they aren't at the game or watching it (like at a bar on a non-game day).

Only custom jersey I'd ever get is a #10 Mike Hawk jersey just so people would talk about Mike Hawk. And by the time the lady's figure out it should be #3 not #10 who cares I'm getting some.

I'm okay with adult Lions fans wearing a jersey of a now retired star player who they idolized as a kid, for me that would be Lem Barney, Mike Lucci, Alex Karras, Greg Landry or Bill Munson, for example, but I could see older folks wearing a Moore, Sanders, or Sims jersey (who would wear a Scott Mitchell or Joey Harrington jersey, unless for the shits and giggles?) especially if they purchased it or they got it as a gift during their playing days, and of course if it still fits...haha!!

But as far as active players....nope!!

So its okay to wear a Young Sr. Jersey, b/c he is an ex-Lion as well as quite probably ex-NFL, since it would likely be a controversial convo-starter, and could increase in value, if Titus manages to turn his private life into a higher-profile, albeit criminally notorious one, and it certainly looks like he is well on his way of doing just that...dlol.

I wonder how much a used but excellent condition #10 Colts Art Schlichter, a #16 Chargers/Cowboys Ryan Leaf, or a #32 Bills Simpson jersey would sell for on eBay?

But eventually these active players will be retired so what's the difference? Are we suppose to wait?

In my whole life, as an adult - I've owned 3 Jerseys. All recent, Justin Verlander, Delmas and LeShoure and I'm just as cool as anyone else ..

Fuck ESPN and anyone else that thinks differently.

I own several football, baseball and hockey jerseys. I wear them often. I dont care what anyone thinks.

blank football jerseys just don't work. the designs demand a number, so you might as well get one that represents a player you like as a fan.

unless you create one that has a meaning to it. i almost bought a Lions 00 jersey with the "name" on the back being WINSIN0ATE, but decided against it. why would i want that? to let others know i was a fan through the worst time when they finally win a super bowl and all the bandwagoners come around. but in the end, just didn't seem worth the price, so i didn't do it.

this is not the same with hockey, and i imagine baseball as well. those jerseys have the logo, so a blank one still looks solid, IMO.

as for what McNabb said...really? are we really going to listen to McNabb????? WHY??? following his opinion is no different than adult men following any other celebrity or pro athlete, it just doesn't make sense. you're an adult, do whatever the fuck you want! wear one, don't wear one...noodle, don't noodle...it doesn't matter.

Back