Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

OT - laptop recommendations

Right . . . so, when you are posting advice to someone wanting to buy one, which is more helpful do you think?

<<dells computers suck. >>

or something like . . .

<<In my experience, I found Dell's to have low quality, but my Sony (model needed) is the best one I ever had.>>

I was disagreeing with your opinion, as your sample size is pretty damn low for a statistical opinion on the overall quality of any particular brand of computer.

. . . but I agree in at least one thing, there are always good and bad ones.

In my opinion, determining what you will use it for is the one largest factor in buying one, and I think Michlady was pretty clear about that part. <off soapbox>

I am not being the internet police here, just offering my differing opinion, which you are free to call out as not being very helpful too.

I like Linux, so my next laptop will likely be a refurbished older model of some kind yet again. I am currently limited to only using an ancient '02 Pentium IV 1.6 GB Sony VAIO desktop, that I rebuilt with a new case, additional physical memory newer/larger PATA HDDs in a RAID 0 config and more case fans. new heatsink, and power block. I HATE proprietary software..err...bloatware that comes with most name-brand computers, however, I don't want their frigging 5+ CD set restore disks, or probably nowadays a restore DVD, instead of just the Windows OS alone on CD/ DVD. But hey, that is what Bart PE is for, to get rid of their bloatware by creating a personalized Windows OS install disk. Sony also had the nerve to include a limited-functionality BIOS that they wanted 29 bucks to permit me to download the upgrade flash version for the BIOS. Haven't used Vista, and didn't miss anything by being stuck with XP Home and XP Pro, but unfortunately for me, I am going to have to move onto Win 7 soon, b/c XP is closing in on its end of life support from Micro$oft...meh. I know XP inside out.

Heck, I would just get another PIII IBM ThinkPad M with Windows 2000 Pro on it, IF it was hardly used, like my last one, kept using it for 8 years, the final two running with just a live CD with "Puppy" Linux burned onto it, using physical memory only, once the internal HDD died, (was too cheap to replace or copy the Windows 2000 Pro installer on it) and got another couple of years of use out of it too, until its internal electronics finally overheated and bit the dust. But it would need an IEEE/FireWire 400 port (could live w/o the faster 800) and at least a couple of USB 2.0 slots, (could live w/o the faster 3.0) instead of the single USB 1.1 slot that the '00 vintage ThinkPad model had.

I also have a gently-used 1 1/2" thick manual that I bought about six years ago from a seller on Amazon, that minutely details how to build a laptop from scratch. and although I am very confident that I could build a desktop from scratch, I am not quite as confident with building a laptop, considering the much smaller and tighter dimensions of its internal electronic "guts." But if I could, I would obviously be able to far more cheaply construct a much more faster and better laptop by buying the case, monitor display, and motherboard, ect... separately, and that is b/c most major brands will often include several pieces of hardware that are more cheaply made, in order to increase their profits. So maybe if you will get a "state of the art" cutting-edge CPU, the included DVD player/writer is crap...or maybe something else like the memory stick(s) or the internal SATA HDD are smaller in size, or from a "knockoff" mfg brand.

icepick1982 said:
I didn't write a review. I was giving my opinion on the subject. The dell I had was about 3 years ago and so many problems and so did a friend of mine. I only spent about 500 on it for school. Maybe they are getting better. But one thing I have found out about computers is no matter what brand you get there is always a few bad apples. Everybody has had different experience with computers. I just wanted to give my experience on the subject.

But you didn't give your experience, it was just a short post that says "Dell Sucks". And MC, I was brought up with Pong, pinball, and the other arcade type games. I'm 46 so as I always said, once a gamer always a gamer. Or so I thought :) . Good luck with whatever you get.

Turok said:
I like Linux, so my next laptop will likely be a refurbished older model of some kind yet again. I am currently limited to only using an ancient '02 Pentium IV 1.6 GB Sony VAIO desktop, that I rebuilt with a new case, additional physical memory newer/larger PATA HDDs in a RAID 0 config and more case fans. new heatsink, and power block. I HATE proprietary software..err...bloatware that comes with most name-brand computers, however, I don't want their frigging 5+ CD set restore disks, or probably nowadays a restore DVD, instead of just the Windows OS alone on CD/ DVD

Ironically, my 6 week old laptop has no bloatware. Its actually nice not having to delete 40g worth of stuff from the get go.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Has anyone suggested Asus yet? http://usa.asus.com/

They make great products and you might want to take a look at them.

Never owned an Asus box but plenty of motherboards from them over the years. They were my favorite.

MichChamp02 said:
Red and Guilty said:
I've been pretty disappointed with my Toshiba.

HA! HA!

It's killing me. The screen flickers on and off...which encourages me to smack it around. Also, it's as loud at a small jet engine and will probably cook food left by the vent, even when it's not doing anything.

...and I was so excited with my Black Friday score...

I meant to post the pic of Nelson pointing at you and saying "HA HA" but you'll have to settle for the text

You should've gotten a Dell.

Side note: Dell shouldn't have gotten rid of their spokesman. Or at least give him a second chance.

Stupid thing is only 2 and a quarter years old. At least it was only $280.

I'm reading online that that model often had video connector shorts...maybe I can fix it.

I didnt write a review of dell I just called a spade a spade. I think most of them have bad ergonomics, and I know the majority have heavy plastic cases (or chassis if you will). Plus they are overpriced for what you are getting.

Windows 8 is funny looking, although you can change it back to w7 style with a couple a few regedit code changes. I would like to see how it performs with the this "hack" in place.

suh said:
Windows 8 is funny looking, although you can change it back to w7 style with a couple a few regedit code changes. I would like to see how it performs with the this "hack" in place.

I think you can switch back just by changing a preference setting.

I just bought two laptops one for myself and one for my folks. Mine was a $300 lenovo theirs a $300 toshiba. So far i really like my lenovo. Good battery life, decent processing speed, and above average video card. My parents toshiba is pretty middle of the road but by no means bad. Although they are only a couple months old so we will see how they last. BTW the laptop I had before this was a 03 toshiba satellite and that thing lasted a good 6 years. Just dont buy a gateway, Ive had one pc and my folks had a laptop and both were beyond garbage. The laptop broke in under two years and we went through 3 power chords and eventually the charge port fried.

Back