Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

OT: Polian's out of Indy.

MalFunkShun

Colts vice chairman Bill Polian and general manager Chris Polian are out in Indianapolis, a source told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

wow this is a bit of a shock. I can see this leading to the end of Peyton in Indy and the start of the rebuild with Luck at QB.

Peyton will get offers up the wazoo if he's let go. And Indy with Luck will struggle for awhile, their team is old.

Polian wanted to keep Manning....Indy is moving on.

no way you pay a guy 28 million with a fucked up neck.

If they were to keep Peyton and draft and sign Luck. They would have something like 40+ million on the cap next year for just QB. Thats a third of the cap for one position and 2 players.

Wonder if the Visqueens will get in on potentially bidding for Peyton's services, as they have a very long history of doing similar to that, even if they recently drafted their alleged QB of their franchise's future in the first or early rounds just a year or two prior.

This enticingly juicy veteran SB-winning QB situation is exactly why I just couldn't believe that they drafted Ponder in what most thought was a huge and mystifying reach in the first round last year.

SLICK said:
Polian wanted to keep Manning....Indy is moving on.

no way you pay a guy 28 million with a fucked up neck.

Yup. Now is the perfect time anyways. You get to draft Luck and the fans already got used to not seeing Peyton play for an entire year. They actually come out gold in this situation. They don't have to have a Favre/Rodgers situation. Tell him thank you and let him go. Indy has a lot of old players that need to be replaced.

interesting tidbit.....

SI's Peter King reports that Colts owner Jim Irsay views the payment of Peyton Manning's March 8 option bonus as a "family decision," unrelated to football or business.
Explained King on NBCSportsTalk, "It means to me that Jimmy Irsay is going to give Peyton Manning his $28 million bonus unless one of two things happen: Manning absolutely can

What does Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck have anything to do with Irsays family?

Polian out is more of a tell imo....im guessing he wanted no part in making that decision.

mhughes0021 said:

Polian out is more of a tell imo....im guessing he wanted no part in making that decision.

I assume football family.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
mhughes0021 said:

I assume football family.

yet the decision has nothing to do with football lol....you can see why im confused. After all the dumb stuff Irsay has said this year i tend to just not believe a word he says.

Manning to the Redskins lol. I don't see him back in Indy and Washington makes as much sense as anywhere.

They'd have to be stupid to pay that cash to bring Manning back. He's nearly 36y/o and just had MAJOR neck surgery that's almost exactly the same as has ended other player's (e.g., Sterling Sharpe) careers. This is the perfect opportunity to take the next franchise QB with Luck and to turn the page. Manning will go down as one of the greatest ever to play QB, but you pay players on the future, not the past.

I agree with the move.

Mainly because the Polian's havent drafted well. Look at this team without Peyton just a sad bunch. You have 5-7 players that are good besides Manning and a couple of those could be products of him. And of those players none of them are very young besides Bethea

To me it still seems that Polian wanted to cut ties with peyton and Irsay wants him to finish his career as a Colt. If he is going to pay Peyton which in my opinion is a mistake because he is one solid hit from being done than you can't draft Luck. You try and auction the pick and build around him for one last run full well knowing if you do that and peyton gets hurt you may have set the franchise back a few years. And if Luck turns out to be as good as everyone thinks you will be kicking yourself.

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]I agree with the move.

Mainly because the Polian's havent drafted well. Look at this team without Peyton just a sad bunch. You have 5-7 players that are good besides Manning and a couple of those could be products of him. And of those players none of them are very young besides Bethea

that tends to happen when you dont draft in the top half of the first round for THAT MANY years in a row. Bottom line is Indy has been a top team for over a decade...polian deserves the credit for that moreso than he deserves to get canned cause manning gets injured. He has no control over that. Its ver easy to miss on picks when youre drafting at 28-32 for so many years.

Irsay has said repeatedly that Manning will return to the Colts if he's healthy and can earn his hefty salary, while Bill Polian seemed eager to position the team to make the drafting of Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck the team's top offseason priority. Irsay is very loyal to Manning and had talked often of making a decision that reflected how important the Colts quarterback is to his franchise, his family and to the Indianapolis community in general.
While there's no guarantee of which direction a new Colts general manager will head in regards to the team's up-in-the-air quarterback decision, it's hard to imagine Irsay hiring any replacement for Polian who doesn't share his commitment to make Manning the team's priority this offseason. Perhaps Polian's enthusiasm for that approach waned, or perhaps Irsay just felt after 14 years together their working relationship had out-lived its usefulness.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/01/02/colts.polians/index.html#ixzz1iPD4M4EH

mhughes0021 said:
[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]I agree with the move.

that tends to happen when you dont draft in the top half of the first round for THAT MANY years in a row. Bottom line is Indy has been a top team for over a decade...polian deserves the credit for that moreso than he deserves to get canned cause manning gets injured. He has no control over that. Its ver easy to miss on picks when youre drafting at 28-32 for so many years.

The draft isnt just the first round. Almost every other team hits on picks that aren't 1st rounders. I mean do any of these guys ring a bell?

Ben Ijalana
Drake Nevis
Jerry Hughes
Kevin Thomas
Donald Brown
Jacques McClendon
Fili Moala
Mike Pollak
Philip Wheeler
Jacob Tamme
Marcus Howard
Anthony Gonzalez
Tony Ugoh
Dante Hughes
Quinn Pitcock
Brannon Condren

These are just some of their 1-4 round picks since 2007. Just horrible. I believe the only two left out from that list are Anthony Castonzo and Pat Angerer because both look like NFL starters. Looking back farther you can make the case they havent "really" hit on a player in the draft since 2002 and nabbing Bob Sanders. Thats 10 years ago.

Lots of other teams that always pick late still get their players. The NFL talent pool isnt just from 1-27 in the first round. Steelers, Patritos, Packers, etc all continue to add talent via the draft. The Colts just forgot how.

Back