Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

OT Question

batcave76

Does anyone know why when a team moves to another city, they sometimes keep the team name, ex., Dodgers,Rams or Colts, sometimes change it; Jets to Coyotes, Browns to Ravens, etc. Utah Jazz makes no sense.

Cheapskate Utah Mormons, I suppose, always thought that a nickname change to the Utah Tumbleweeds, Polygamists, Tabernacle Choirboys, or Borax would have been much more appropriate.

As far as the Browns, the franchise owner Modell had to surrender the team nickname as one of the conditions of being permitted to move to Baltimore from Cleveland, along with the franchise/team history, IIRC.

Baltimore Browns would be a dumb name. And I suppose some teams don't want to reminded or put as part of the previous franchise.

Turok said:
Cheapskate Utah Mormons, I suppose, always thought that a nickname change to the Utah Tumbleweeds, Polygamists, or Borax would have been much more appropriate.
I bet you'd be hard pressed to find a Ram wandering around in St Louis.

batcave76 said:
Turok said:
Cheapskate Utah Mormons, I suppose, always thought that a nickname change to the Utah Tumbleweeds, Polygamists, or Borax would have been much more appropriate.

St. Louis Racists?

When was the last team that didn't change their name? I think they all change now.

batcave76 said:
Turok said:

Or in LA and Cleveland, I met a guy who once played for the "Cleveland Rams" when I worked for the Penn Central Railroad @ the old and now abandoned Michigan Central Station in the mid-70s.

Perhaps we can instead now picture a "Ram" as being a tool used by a SWAT team, to smash in the front door of a crack or meth dealer's house in certain parts of St. Looie, instead of said animal represented..heh!!

JimRice said:
When was the last team that didn't change their name? I think they all change now.

The NBA Hornets to NOLA from Charlotte?

The NHL Dallas "Stars" just had to drop the "North" from their nickname, after they moved from Minn.

I seem to remember that the NBA's LA "Lakers" franchise originated in Detroit, but with a different nickname (not absolutely certain of that btw) then became the more appropriate Minneapolis Lakers, (Minn being the so-called land/state of 10,000 "lakes") before moving to LA.

Back