Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

OT Riley Reiff

schles192

ALLEN PARK -- There's something different about Detroit Lions offensive tackle Riley Reiff.

It's more than the 12 pounds he packed on this offseason as he prepares to enter the 2013 campaign as the team's starting left tackle. It's the way he's carrying himself in the locker room and on the practice field. Reiff is exuding confidence.

"You'll see that pretty consistently from guys going from year one to year two," offensive line coach Jeremiah Washburn said. "When you're a rookie, you're the low man on the totem pole, especially in our room, which is full of vets. Just through the natural maturation process, he's certainly changed his demeanor."

Reiff's confidence on the field is translating into raw aggression. He's shown flashes of physical dominance, occasionally bullying Detroit's defensive ends. In the first week of training camp, he's put Willie Young and rookie Ezekiel Ansah on their backs during one-on-one drills.

"He was born nasty," Washburn said. "He hasn't changed that since the day he came in."

Guard Rob Sims, who lines up next to Reiff on the left side of the offensive line, agreed with his coach's assessment, but feels there's a reason the mean streak wasn't as evident last year.

"The thing about playing nasty, if your technique is not right, you don't really get to use it," Sims said. "Now that his technique is coming together, he's using it and hitting his landmarks right. If he gets you, it's going to be trouble."

Reiff is slated to replace long-time starter Jeff Backus as the Lions' blindside blocker. After three years as teammates, Sims publicly pleaded with Backus to return for another season before the veteran decided to retire. Despite the change, Sims is confident with his new arrangements.

"I'm completely comfortable," Sims said. "Of course I'll miss Jeff. We had a really good thing going on. But if I can't play with him, give me Riley Reiff."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/07/detroit_lions_riley_reiff_play.html

Last edited:
you don't hear much from sims over the years....I love the vote of confidence. Reiff is probably the single most important person on the team going into this season imo. With Stafford or Bush probably being a close 2nd

His arms are 1/8 of inch too short. No way will he ever be any good with that deficiency.

Back