Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Panic Button

not quite saying don't whine about the bad performances, just trying to change some perspective and provide some hope.

where's Obi-wan when you need him?

not quite saying don't whine about the bad performances, just trying to change some perspective and provide some hope.

where's Obi-wan when you need him?

I know.

one thing I like about Hoke is he's kinda like that. he keeps calm. it's amusing reading his quips and retorts to the press when they try to draw these broad conclusions from a couple bad plays in each game. he knows that sometimes you get bad bounces and things get out of hand, and each week should be approached as a new challenge, un-burdened by the struggles of the prior one. also under no circumstances should you limit a player's potential in the press... just keep working on improving.

Did they RS Shane Morris?

I'm not saying to throw the kid in there, but he was a highly ranked recruit before the mono caused him to sit. I'm just wondering if DG has another game or two with 2+ TO's if they don't give him a shot.

only two things would justify playing Morris over Gardner:
1.) Gardner is physically injured
2.) Gardner suffers a complete mental collapse and cannot function

I hate seeing a QB get benched just because he makes a few mistakes each week, especially on a team that is otherwise winning games.

I don't know why you guys keep talking about our WRs. honestly, the way we've struggled, better receivers wouldn't make a difference.

Gardner just made poor decisions; there were a couple plays where he held on to the ball too long or ran for it, even though he had guys open.

anyways, all this talk of a panic button from some of you guys is premature.

why panic anyway? if you can't learn to enjoy watching your team and handling the possibility that they can and will lose some games, maybe you should take up something less stressful, like knitting, or stamp collecting.

though I wonder if maybe some of you guys wouldn't even be able to handle the intensity of those past times.. in which case, I suggest you take up watching paint dry.

I'm talking about WRs because the position is an issue. It's not the number one issue, but that doesn't make it something you can't talk about. I worry about the WRs for Big 10 play, which is coming up. Right now, we have one consistent threat. That's probably not going to cut it against better teams. It's not like we have a great running game to lean on.

Definitely young team

Almost a third of those who went to conn. we're freshman or redshirt freshmen

I wonder if there are more replies to this thread or more people who bothered to go visit this blog site named after me...?

Maybe it's not time to hit the panic button yet but it is not premature to at least know where it is. It is not the score of the games that bothers me but the way the games played out. DG is a problem but maybe a fixable one. His issues are between his ears. He looks scared to me and he is clearly aiming his throws because he lacks confidence in his ability. Sure he gets no protection but when he does he still doesn't seem to be staying in the pocket and going through the progression. The O-line is another problem all together. There is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be able to dominate against Akron and UConn. Even if every other aspect of the game is not working well they should just be able to dominate based on the fact that M has better size, athleticism and skill. The fact that it is not happening is scary. This problem will only get bigger when they face real competition. This may have something to do with the denard offense we have been running the last few years. There are other areas of concern but DG and the O-line seem to be the most glaring. Talk of panic time may be premature if 8 or 9 wins is ok. I am not so sure it is premature if the BIG championship is the goal.

only two things would justify playing Morris over Gardner:
1.) Gardner is physically injured
2.) Gardner suffers a complete mental collapse and cannot function

I hate seeing a QB get benched just because he makes a few mistakes each week, especially on a team that is otherwise winning games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that's the right action. 57% completion, 7 TD's, 8 INT's against weak opponents makes me worry though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that's the right action. 57% completion, 7 TD's, 8 INT's against weak opponents makes me worry though.

yeesh, he's also fumbled 4 times in the last 2 weeks and lost 2 of those.

I know what you're saying, but since we've seen him play much better than that, we know what he's capable of doing. it's like he's in a slump... if you're his coach, you just have to stick with him and see him through it. benching him would create much worse problems though.

No-Whining.jpg

This coming from the guy that whined nonstop for 3 straight years. Now no one else is allowed to voice their displeasure.

let's get a little perspective.

every year there will be a game or two where the team struggles by losing the turnover battle, the QB is out of sync, the line gets pwned, the D misses tackles, or countless other things that they have to overcome. thankfully the multiple struggles happened vs weaker teams and UM was able to overcome them and still win the game. especially the turnover battle when those turnovers are TDs by the D or happen where points could have been scored other wise.

so we can show a little hope, knowing that the team has demonstrated better play vs CMU and ND, that the timing of their off games happened when they did against the teams that they did. remember the Carr years and how frustrating it was when UM played down to the level of their opponent? maybe that has happened again this year and the team will rise to the occassion now that the BIG schedule is about to kickoff.

i'm not ready to write them off, and don't believe anyone else should either. these KIDS are a very young team and there were bound to be some struggles this year. better they happened early so that they can better learn from them AND since they happened when they did they can have confidence in overcoming future mistakes and still pull out wins.

no, not happy with the play at all. but the timing of this has been key. i'm happy it was the Akron and UConn games where they played like that as opposed to CMU and ND. Could be 2-2 if they played that way in the 1st two games. better to be 4-0 and have a Bye to get things fixed and have developed confidence that they can comeback from adversity.

Kids? 19 or 20 year olds at the youngest. Men...adults, not kids. Freshman and sophomores contribute all over the country. Cut it with the "their kids" excuse.

Did they RS Shane Morris?

I'm not saying to throw the kid in there, but he was a highly ranked recruit before the mono caused him to sit. I'm just wondering if DG has another game or two with 2+ TO's if they don't give him a shot.

No. People need to quit talking about bringing in Morris. His redshirt is shot unless he gets 'injured'

Michigan goes down 21-7. Do you think Morris would've led Michigan to a victory at that point? No. Stick with Gardner.

Regarding statements about them being kids, I think it's fair game to point to their youth to explain knucklehead behavior. It doesn't alleviate them from their adult level of responsibility for their actions, but it's not right to expect the same level of maturity from them as their coaches, for example. Whether or not you can get away with using the word depends on the reason you're bringing up their youth. They should know not to break laws because they're adults, but sometimes, some of them will pout on the bench with towels over their heads because they're kids.

Last edited:
I didn't whine... I pointed out that RichRod was a bad coach. and he was a bad coach... and he was fired and we got better.

Me = right.

You whined. You act like it somehow served a purpose, because you were right to whine, but he would've been fired whether you whined or not. You had nothing to do with him getting fired.

Back