Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Paterno will retire at end of season

An announcement from PSU will be made today making Paterno's retirement at the end of the season official.

He probably would have retired at the end of the season anyway after getting the record for most wins. The scandal just pushed the announcement up.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Scumbag.

He might be a scumbag, but Im not rushing to judgement on JoPa until all the facts are out, and waiting until guilt has been proven in court isn't a bad idea either. But regardless, I think this decision is the right answer right now......I could change my mind on that down the road.

Ercole747 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Scumbag.

He might be a scumbag, but Im not rushing to judgement on JoPa until all the facts are out, and waiting until guilt has been proven in court isn't a bad idea either. But regardless, I think this decision is the right answer right now......I could change my mind on that down the road.

Read the grand jury brother. Makes me sick. He might not be guilty by law but moraly, damn skippy he is.

MichChamp02 said:
Ercole is defending him.

STONE HIM TOO!

Yeah......you're smart

I'm not defending him. I think PSU should clean house and maybe Paterno shouldn't finish the season(he definitely needs to go) but the man is in his 80's and is practically just a figure head (i'm surprised he knows his own name when he wakes up in the morning). I blame the higher ups more than I do Paterno at this point and that includes the assistant that witnessed the assault and did nothing about it until the next day when he reported it.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
Ercole747 said:

Read the grand jury brother. Makes me sick. He might not be guilty by law but moraly, damn skippy he is.

I just can't bring myself to read it. Hits too close to home with me having a 10 and a 13 year old. But if half of what I have read so far in the news is true I cannot fathom how Penn State can allow anyone associated with this to work a single day more, let alone until the end of the season.

b311j said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

I just can't bring myself to read it. Hits too close to home with me having a 10 and a 13 year old. But if half of what I have read so far in the news is true I cannot fathom how Penn State can allow anyone associated with this to work a single day more, let alone until the end of the season.

I can't blame you on that. I have a 13 and two 7 year olds. Btw, I didn't read it either, lol. Just word of mouth.

PSU has only 1 loss at this point, no? Only loss is to Alabama. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't follow PSU that close.

Ercole747 said:
MichChamp02 said:
Ercole is defending him.

STONE HIM TOO!

Yeah......you're smart

I'm not defending him. I think PSU should clean house and maybe Paterno shouldn't finish the season(he definitely needs to go) but the man is in his 80's and is practically just a figure head (i'm surprised he knows his own name when he wakes up in the morning). I blame the higher ups more than I do Paterno at this point and that includes the assistant that witnessed the assault and did nothing about it until the next day when he reported it.

But this was almost 10 years ago. And the higher ups are certainly to blame and that damn assistent. But the assistent mentioned it right away and it was paterno who mentioned it to the AD the next day.

But this wasn't vandelism. It was molesting a little child, a little boy. Blame goes all around.

Honestly, this is probably good for PSU - JoePa was really holding them down and they might actually be great with a decent coach (assuming they hire one). I'm not sure if the NCAA comes down on them with anything, that could hurt them, but I don't think there's ever been a case like this to compare how the NCAA might act.

b311j said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

I agree with all of that including the word "IF" all those things are true. There is a lot of facts that still have to come out on this, and more still that have to be proven before I jump on an old man that may or may not have all his faculties.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Honestly, this is probably good for PSU - JoePa was really holding them down and they might actually be great with a decent coach (assuming they hire one). I'm not sure if the NCAA comes down on them with anything, that could hurt them, but I don't think there's ever been a case like this to compare how the NCAA might act.

What coach is going to want to come into this mess? I think this is going to be devastating for PSU recruiting too........we'll see.

I agree with Mitch. Rape is an awful offense. Raping minors in incomprehensible. The assistant that witnessed it should have hit Sandusky with a chair or whatever he could grab immediately. I wouldn't walk away in that situation. I mean seriously how the fuck do you let that continue???

From what I know, Paterno"heard" about some disgusting unlawful acts...not knowing if they were true he reported them anyway to be safe. The authorities seemingly dropped the ball. If this is true I believe Paterno did what he should have and people are being far too quick to judge because of the sensitivity of the topic at hand. If someone at work told you he saw your friend doing something like this and you told the CEO or head of HR about it, what more should you do. You don't know if the man did it or not but still came forth and said that you at least heard about it and thought it should be checked out. As far as I can tell, grouping Joe in with this monster is COMPLETELY unfair and immoral in it's own right. If you feel like Paterno could have done more thats fine but to say he's scum SEEMS very unfair. He did what he was suppose to do and entrusted the people who are suppose to take care of these things to do their job and the right thing. It was probably hard enough to have to turn in a friend. I don't expect him to go to war and become a persecuter to make sure things are handled, thats not his place. No love lost for Paterno so far for me SO FAR...I will read more in depth later though.

Beez said:
From what I know, Paterno"heard" about some disgusting unlawful acts...not knowing if they were true he reported them anyway to be safe. The authorities seemingly dropped the ball. If this is true I believe Paterno did what he should have and people are being far too quick to judge because of the sensitivity of the topic at hand. If someone at work told you he saw your friend doing something like this and you told the CEO or head of HR about it, what more should you do. You don't know if the man did it or not but still came forth and said that you at least heard about it and thought it should be checked out. As far as I can tell, grouping Joe in with this monster is COMPLETELY unfair and immoral in it's own right. If you feel like Paterno could have done more thats fine but to say he's scum SEEMS very unfair. He did what he was suppose to do and entrusted the people who are suppose to take care of these things to do their job and the right thing. It was probably hard enough to have to turn in a friend. I don't expect him to go to war and become a persecuter to make sure things are handled, thats not his place. No love lost for Paterno so far for me SO FAR...I will read more in depth later though.

He didn't say a thing until the next day and then just looked past it. Didn't follow up or nothing.

Back