Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Paterno will retire at end of season

MichChamp02 said:
Ercole... I was kidding.

Oh Ok, I thought you were serious because this is a VERY VERY serious topic that can bring out a lot of emotion in people.......but I should of known you were kidding with your method of justice (stoning?).

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
Ercole747 said:
He might be a scumbag, but Im not rushing to judgement on JoPa until all the facts are out, and waiting until guilt has been proven in court isn't a bad idea either. But regardless, I think this decision is the right answer right now......I could change my mind on that down the road.

Read the grand jury brother. Makes me sick. He might not be guilty by law but moraly, damn skippy he is.

I was at Duke during the lacrosse thing...I'm not expecting the story to change enough to justify Paterno's or McQueary's inaction, but I know grand jury reports aren't the end of the story.

Ercole747 said:
MichChamp02 said:
Ercole is defending him.

STONE HIM TOO!

Yeah......you're smart

I'm not defending him. I think PSU should clean house and maybe Paterno shouldn't finish the season(he definitely needs to go) but the man is in his 80's and is practically just a figure head (i'm surprised he knows his own name when he wakes up in the morning). I blame the higher ups more than I do Paterno at this point and that includes the assistant that witnessed the assault and did nothing about it until the next day when he reported it.

I'd put Paterno and McQueary on leave immediately, fire after the investigation.

Fucking Sandusky should be strung up by his balls with piano wire.... As far as Joe Pa. I don't know what to think... Every time I see him it reminds me with dealing with my 83 year old father.. Now I am sure Joe is a tad sharper then my dad but when you get that age you get confused a tad more easily then younger guys. I just do understand why he did not act way back when this started. This is so terrible.... I feel so bad for the kids and their families...

Red and Guilty said:
[quote="Mitch":dcafxb36]

Read the grand jury brother. Makes me sick. He might not be guilty by law but moraly, damn skippy he is.

I was at Duke during the lacrosse thing...I'm not expecting the story to change enough to justify Paterno's or McQueary's inaction, but I know grand jury reports aren't the end of the story.[/quote:dcafxb36]

I understand that. But it can only get worse. Man, he just did nothing. Bare minimum. Pisses me off.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Honestly, this is probably good for PSU - JoePa was really holding them down and they might actually be great with a decent coach (assuming they hire one). I'm not sure if the NCAA comes down on them with anything, that could hurt them, but I don't think there's ever been a case like this to compare how the NCAA might act.

No. There is nothing good that comes from this for anybody. The NCAA has nothing to do with this and should not do a thing about it. An NCAA penalty would be inappropriate in this situation because it would imply that these crimes are somehow analogous to sporting infractions.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
[quote="Red and Guilty":5xlb3wc1]

I was at Duke during the lacrosse thing...I'm not expecting the story to change enough to justify Paterno's or McQueary's inaction, but I know grand jury reports aren't the end of the story.

I understand that. But it can only get worse. Man, he just did nothing. Bare minimum. Pisses me off. [/quote:5xlb3wc1]

It's a matter of what he knew and when. There is a remote possibility that we've got that all wrong. McQueary talked to Paterno and to Paterno's higher ups. Maybe it says in the grand jury report, I didn't read it. While unlikely, it is possible that McQueary went into less detail with Paterno and Paterno did say something about Sandusky fooling scores of experts. I don't know what that means yet. If the story unfolds in a way that leaves Paterno unaware of the details or assured by experts or investigators that McQueary's story wasn't true, then there would be an out for him. ...but I'm not holding my breath.

Penn State out of the Big 10. That's a good start for them getting what they deserve for allowing this to happen and then harboring this monster on campus. The head of their athletic department dropped the ball on bringing justice and then lied to try and cover it up. Their vice president did the same. They no longer deserve to reap the rewards of being in a prestigious conference. The Big 10 is about more than sports and a university that allows such horrific acts and lies about them does not deserve to remain in the conference.

This won't happen, but Penn State does deserve it.

Red and Guilty said:
[quote="Mitch":ekouqzok]

I understand that. But it can only get worse. Man, he just did nothing. Bare minimum. Pisses me off.

It's a matter of what he knew and when. There is a remote possibility that we've got that all wrong. McQueary talked to Paterno and to Paterno's higher ups. Maybe it says in the grand jury report, I didn't read it. While unlikely, it is possible that McQueary went into less detail with Paterno and Paterno did say something about Sandusky fooling scores of experts. I don't know what that means yet. If the story unfolds in a way that leaves Paterno unaware of the details or assured by experts or investigators that McQueary's story wasn't true, then there would be an out for him. ...but I'm not holding my breath.[/quote:ekouqzok]

I just think its morally responsible to go to the police rather than the "boss". In a situation like this.

TheWolverines24 said:
Penn State out of the Big 10. That's a good start for them getting what they deserve for allowing this to happen and then harboring this monster on campus. The head of their athletic department dropped the ball on bringing justice and then lied to try and cover it up. Their vice president did the same. They no longer deserve to reap the rewards of being in a prestigious conference. The Big 10 is about more than sports and a university that allows such horrific acts and lies about them does not deserve to remain in the conference.

I disagree. If they drop the hammer on every person that knew but did not act however it can be dropped, then I wouldn't pin it on the institution. If they protect people that are shown to have acted immorally, then I also doubt it would happen, but would like for the Big Ten to dissociate with them. The vast majority of them had no idea and do not deserve this, but they need to rise up and make it clear that they will not stand for this. Including the president.

Ercole747 said:
MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Honestly, this is probably good for PSU - JoePa was really holding them down and they might actually be great with a decent coach (assuming they hire one). I'm not sure if the NCAA comes down on them with anything, that could hurt them, but I don't think there's ever been a case like this to compare how the NCAA might act.

What coach is going to want to come into this mess? I think this is going to be devastating for PSU recruiting too........we'll see.

It depends on what "mess" is left behind. It seems like everyone involved will be long gone after this season - and who knows what the NCAA will do. Heck, they might do nothing because it's a legal matter that's taken care of in the court system. If they get a big name coach it might even improve their recruiting.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
[quote="Red and Guilty":hfbktgkn]

It's a matter of what he knew and when. There is a remote possibility that we've got that all wrong. McQueary talked to Paterno and to Paterno's higher ups. Maybe it says in the grand jury report, I didn't read it. While unlikely, it is possible that McQueary went into less detail with Paterno and Paterno did say something about Sandusky fooling scores of experts. I don't know what that means yet. If the story unfolds in a way that leaves Paterno unaware of the details or assured by experts or investigators that McQueary's story wasn't true, then there would be an out for him. ...but I'm not holding my breath.

I just think its morally responsible to go to the police rather than the "boss". In a situation like this. [/quote:hfbktgkn]

I agree. It depends on what McQueary said to him. Is Paterno lying when he acts like this came as a surprise to him years later? I think we're all under the impression at this point that the answer is yes. If he's not lying, then there's a side to this story that we don't understand yet.

Don't they have the Stagg- Paterno Championship Trophy now? Cluster fk. Gotta change that.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Don't they have the Stagg- Paterno Championship Trophy now? Cluster fk. Gotta change that.

Yeah, the Stagg family is already talking about that. Also it looks like PA's Governor is getting involved and there are rumors about replacing the university president.

Personally having Paterno in the trophy name never made much sense. Why not use a name of a coach that has been in the B1G for a longer time. Schemblecher. I could understand Staggs, 1st coach ever.

Red and Guilty said:
TheWolverines24 said:

I disagree. If they drop the hammer on every person that knew but did not act however it can be dropped, then I wouldn't pin it on the institution. If they protect people that are shown to have acted immorally, then I also doubt it would happen, but would like for the Big Ten to dissociate with them. The vast majority of them had no idea and do not deserve this, but they need to rise up and make it clear that they will not stand for this. Including the president.

I put a lot of this on the institution. What type of institution finds out about these horrible acts and then decides to just force the guy to retire with a great retirement package? One that keeps him in his own office on campus and around kids? So it all can happen again? Prosecutors have a firm belief that Sandusky continued to abuse children after 2002. I believe them because why would he have stopped? Penn State practically rewarded him for his actions with continued access to campus and its facilities. This continued access aided him in his assaults. The university is at great fault here. That's why I believe the Big 10 should be done with Penn State.

TheWolverines24 said:
Red and Guilty said:

I put a lot of this on the institution. What type of institution finds out about these horrible acts and then decides to just force the guy to retire with a great retirement package? One that keeps him in his own office on campus and around kids? So it all can happen again? Prosecutors have a firm belief that Sandusky continued to abuse children after 2002. I believe them because why would he have stopped? Penn State practically rewarded him for his actions with continued access to campus and its facilities. This continued access aided him in his assaults. The university is at great fault here. That's why I believe the Big 10 should be done with Penn State.

You won't have any argument from me. But I'm not sure the B1G has recourse to be able to do this. Legally any way.

TheWolverines24 said:
Red and Guilty said:

What are we talking about? 5 people involved in the cover up? The institution is governed by few, but it is defined by many. If the masses of Penn State people not involved with the cover up react appropriately, I don't think it's fair to hold it against them. I don't know what organizations you are a part of, but I wouldn't hold you accountable for the missteps of the leaders of those organizations, just your reaction. If the institution cleans house, the damage to the reputation of the institution is more than enough punishment for the remaining, completely innocent people.

To me if what is being said is true. Paterno and especially McQueary needs to go now. I am sorry but how on earth he did not remove that poor child from that situation and protect him is beyond me. Imagine being that kid and you are being assaulted by someone you trusted. You are scared and praying that he will stop or that someone will come help you and someone does show up but instead of helping you he leaves. McQueary should be done and never work with kids again.

Red and Guilty said:
TheWolverines24 said:

What are we talking about? 5 people involved in the cover up? The institution is governed by few, but it is defined by many. If the masses of Penn State people not involved with the cover up react appropriately, I don't think it's fair to hold it against them. I don't know what organizations you are a part of, but I wouldn't hold you accountable for the missteps of the leaders of those organizations, just your reaction. If the institution cleans house, the damage to the reputation of the institution is more than enough punishment for the remaining, completely innocent people.

Who is innocent here? How many of the higher ups allowed this monster to stay on their campus with his own office? How many decided it was ok for him to have continued access to Penn State facilities all the way up to last weekend? Anyone involved in those decisions is not innocent in my eyes. They made a terrible mistake that led to more terrible actions.

Back