Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Patriots probably deflated balls

brewer229

The NFL has found that it is probable that New England Patriots personnel deliberately deflated balls during the AFC Championship Game in January and that quarterback Tom Brady was probably "at least generally aware" of the rules violations.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story...-new-england-patriots-probably-deflated-balls

So it took an investigator about 4 months to figure out what common sense would tell you happened. They deflated balls to improve their chances. Wonder how much this investigation cost.

Punishment is expected within days. I still can't believe Goodell is actually going to punish the Pats for something.

Wow, hope Robert Kraft isn't still waiting for his apology.

I wonder how many fans are like me and don't give a single fuck about this. NFL is smart for waiting until May.

But how could it have possibly happened had the NFL been diligently inspecting the balls prior to the game as it was supposed to do?

I wonder how many fans are like me and don't give a single fuck about this. NFL is smart for waiting until May.

Same here, who cares what happens. This hardly seems like some major scandal.

Agreed. And not one official, who handles the ball on every single play of every game Brady has ever played, has ever noticed the ball felt different.

This is all anyone is talking about here in Pittsburgh. Any team that wins multiple Super Bowls becomes the enemy. Did you know the Steelers have the most Super Bowls? And did you know that NFL Championships don't count as titles won?

I know Indy got thumped but maybe with different balls Brady throws an early INT and the game changes? Nonetheless I suspect Brady getting a one game suspension for a exhibition game. And lose a 6th round pick at most. .

I know Indy got thumped but maybe with different balls Brady throws an early INT and the game changes? Nonetheless I suspect Brady getting a one game suspension for a exhibition game. And lose a 6th round pick at most. .

It's about the equivalent of a pitcher scuffing a baseball. Slap on the wrist and move on.

Steeler fans are calling for 8 games and a forfeited first round draft pick in 2016.

It's about the equivalent of a pitcher scuffing a baseball. Slap on the wrist and move on.

Agreed.

Though the Pats sure seem to endorse a culture of cutting corners, finding loopholes and cheating just enough to be cheaters ...but not cheating enough to really warrant severe punishment.

From VideoGate to scuffed balls to Josh McDaniels and the general atmosphere under Belichick ....it simply makes the Pats the team that everyone but their own fans hate.

And ..probably takes Brady down a notch for the bandwagon UM alumni fans who follow the Pats because of him.

And ..probably takes Brady down a notch for the bandwagon UM alumni fans who follow the Pats because of him.

Oh I don't know how much it will tarnish him in the eyes of fans like that.

They'll compare it to a pitcher scuffing a ball in baseball, and say he should be suspended for one exhibition game and the Pats should lose a 6th round draft pick.

Oh I don't know how much it will tarnish him in the eyes of fans like that.

They'll compare it to a pitcher scuffing a ball in baseball, and say he should be suspended for one exhibition game and the Pats should lose a 6th round draft pick.

...While others prone to hate and resent Tom for his M degree, superhot wife and success will compare him to Lance Armstrong

...While others prone to hate and resent Tom for his M degree, superhot wife and success will compare him to Lance Armstrong

I could be wrong, but at the time the story broke right after the conference title game, I thought I heard that there was specific penalty for equipment tampering and it wasn't that severe $25 K or something, that's it.

This has little to do with the Indy game. The Pats were suspected of doing this several times before, they just happened to get caught in the AFC Title game, they had likely been doing it since Brady lobbied the league to let teams use their own footballs. The Patriots went from middle of the pack in turning it over to far and away the least amount of turnovers in the NFL immediately after the NFL began letting teams use their own. Softer footballs = a lot less fumbles and a lot less dropped passes.

He's going to get 4 games, but he'll appeal and get it dropped to 2. He's a cheater.

in 2006, Brady and Manning lobbied for the rule change, prior to the rule change the Pats averaged 42 touches per fumble from 2000-2006, right about the league average. After the rule change the Pats averaged an astounding 74 touches per fumble. The probability of that happening is 1 in 5842. the Patriots were basically playing with a Nerf football, what a huge advantage.

Last edited:
Its a football.. The league should have both teams use the same ball like they did a few years back or just let players have it at any PSI they like as long as it is in-between a range agreed upon by the players union and owners.. I could care less what weight the balls are at.. Tackling, running and football skill and schemes have nothing to do with with the footballs.. Indy was butt hurt because they were getting smoked.. Don't get me started on how dirty the old time Steelers and Raiders were. But I guess that was good old fashion football used with stick-um, pain killers, cheap shots ect...

Back