Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Penn State should get the death penalty

The program benefited because normally a molestation scandal would scare away potential recruits, sponsors, donors, etc. But the cover-up allowed business to continue on as usual. Ticket sales, etc. like champ pointed out. Look at the kid who bailed on that school from Ohio because he found out he was in a picture with a sex offender.

As to your other point, red, football programs at universities are supposed to help mold boys into men. Teach discipline, respect...a coach and your coaches are father figures, role models over a (so long as you don't leave early) four or more year period. At a hospital, you're there for a short time. It's a completely different relationship. That being said, if a hospital did the same thing; covered molestation up all the way to the top, yeah maybe it should be shut down too...

The program benefited because normally a molestation scandal would scare away potential recruits, sponsors, donors, etc. But the cover-up allowed business to continue on as usual. Ticket sales, etc. like champ pointed out. Look at the kid who bailed on that school from Ohio because he found out he was in a picture with a sex offender.

As to your other point, red, football programs at universities are supposed to help mold boys into men. Teach discipline, respect...a coach and your coaches are father figures, role models over a (so long as you don't leave early) four or more year period. At a hospital, you're there for a short time. It's a completely different relationship. That being said, if a hospital did the same thing; covered molestation up all the way to the top, yeah maybe it should be shut down too...

Scaring the recruits, sponsors, and donors away is the image issue I mentioned before. I don't believe the fact that breaking the law is bad for your image should open the door for the NCAA to police everything under the sun. Same "where do yo draw the line" argument I made before.

Now your willingness to shut down a hospital, that's a surprise to me. I didn't think anyone would react that way. I wonder how common that reaction would be.

So what do you think should happen? Molestation not that big of a deal? People's lives were ruined before they ever got started because of this. Men who were supposed to protect and teach did the exact opposite for money and legacies. Pretty sick...

In regard to the hospital, if a place has covered up molestation of children for such a long period of time, be it a hospital or any other establishment, I'm not so sure I'd want that in my community. Do you? And "shutting down" a hospital would never happen, but gutting the place and changing the name from "Community Pedophile" to "Good Samaritan" wouldn't be too hard.

What if it were a daycare?

So what do you think should happen? Molestation not that big of a deal? People's lives were ruined before they ever got started because of this. Men who were supposed to protect and teach did the exact opposite for money and legacies. Pretty sick...

In regard to the hospital, if a place has covered up molestation of children for such a long period of time, be it a hospital or any other establishment, I'm not so sure I'd want that in my community. Do you? And "shutting down" a hospital would never happen, but gutting the place and changing the name from "Community Pedophile" to "Good Samaritan" wouldn't be too hard.

What if it were a daycare?

It's not that it's not that big of a deal. It's too big of a deal for the NCAA. That what I meant to express when I said that bit about Monopoly bans for billions in fraud. Football isn't so important that football penalties are an appropriate response. People going to prison is an appropriate response. This isn't about a game.

And no, I wouldn't shut down a hospital even if I could. It would punish the innocent for the acts of a few. That's fine when you're sending a message about cheating at sports. That's not appropriate for serious crimes. When dealing with serious crime, you punish the guilty. The image problems will impact the innocent anyway, but that can't be avoided.

In the case of a daycare, it's a pretty safe bet that the association would drive the daycare to shut down anyway. Daycares are small enough there wouldn't be enough innocent parties to keep the place going.

right, which is why the criminal justice system has also been involved.

No. It's not "has also been". Criminal law isn't an "also ran" here. Criminal law is the primary driver here. Whatever happens with the NCAA is an afterthought for secondary issues.

This article does a better job explaining.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/coll...7-17/penn-state-ncaa-death-penalty/56285588/1

Extra benefits are rules about the things and services you're not allowed to give to student athletes. It has nothing to do with how Penn State benefited by not having these crimes exposed. Loss of institutional control is a condition that enables a pattern of repeated violations. If these crimes don't constitute an NCAA violation in the 1st place, then there is no pattern.

That's how it played out with the ND kid that died videotaping in a storm wasn't it? There were OSHA fines, but nothing applicable to NCAA rules.

Not to say the NCAA won't act here. There's a ton of pressure to do something, but it would require changing the rules or finding some new, broad way to interpret them.

It seems the death penalty would have been for 3 years if thats what the decided. Kinda harsh. But if im being honest the sanctions they got might have been worse that the death penatly. Once the death penalty is over you get to go back out and recruit and rebuild....they cant do that right now....theres no chance.

Last edited:
Back