Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Peralta Gold Glove?

If you think a defensive Phenom should win it that's okay. But Peralta has better offensive and defensive numbers than Cabrera and has made his own spectacular plays. Between the two, honestly Cabrera doesn't have a chance in hell.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]If you think a defensive Phenom should win it that's okay. But Peralta has better offensive and defensive numbers than Cabrera and has made his own spectacular plays. Between the two, honestly Cabrera doesn't have a chance in hell.
except that everyone hates detroit.

Nah. It will go to Jeter. He has 3000 hits.
grin.png

What about Austin Jackson in center? Whos played that position better than him defensively this year????

jdeb said:
thehippo73 said:
I think Asdrubal Cabrera has the SS gold glove wrapped up. He has made a ton of spectacular plays along with swinging a very good bat. Jhonny has clearly been greater than any of us expected.

You are probably correct. The writers are going to want to give him something for his good year. Peralta has been way under the radar.

Writers do not vote for Gold Gloves, Managers and coaches do, and they can't vote for their own players.

I suspect some trading goes on, such as you vote for my guy, I'll vote for yours......rather then them just voting the person they believe most worthy.

All awards in the end are popularity contests, and Acab has been popular this year.

mhughes0021 said:
What about Austin Jackson in center? Whos played that position better than him defensively this year????

Then you have to figure nout the offense. Grandy maybe.

mhughes0021 said:

Ellsbury, hasn't had a error all year.

mhughes0021 said:
ellsbury and bourjos have been as good or better. dollars to donuts ellsbury wins it.

All I know is that when Jeter' won last year, anything can happen. So I have no clue, about this :)

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]All I know is that when Jeter' won last year, anything can happen. So I have no clue, about this :)
I think all that tells us is Jeter still has a chance to win this year.

I don't think Jhonny will win the GoldGlove. 'He has played much better' at shortstop than we were led to believe from last year, and before the Tigers traded for him.
Maybe there was something to it while he was with the indians before the trade, his weight, loss of range, anything else like affecting his hitting, and snatchface wedge the manager.
Peralta did go on a better conditioning program before this years ST. He has soft hands, fields everything he gets to, and does have better range as said than we were led to believe.
We know that some of the GoldGlove awards are a travesty (palmiero at first base playing 20? games), tied to hitting or a player liked by many for a storied team (Jeter), or named backflipswizard or omar v. where the hitting doesn't matter.
He probably gets some/few votes, but another player will probably win.

I don't think he should ever win a gold glove with Andrus and A. Escobar in the same league. That is just eye test. Those guys make more errors, but they get to more balls, and yes, do the spectacular far more often.

Offensive numbers count for a defensive award, it's always been that way for some reason, so I think Peralta will get some consideration, especially because of the low error total, but he isn't the best defensive SS in the league. Alexei Ramirez probably is.

FYI....Range Factor is a very misleading stat. It is not a measurement of lateral movement at all. Range Factor stat is dependent on the team's pitching staff and based on balls in play. So a high strikeout staff will diminish the number of balls in play. Then we have the difference between groundballs versus flyballs and left versus right pitchers.

rebbiv said:
FYI....Range Factor is a very misleading stat. It is not a measurement of lateral movement at all. Range Factor stat is dependent on the team's pitching staff and based on balls in play. So a high strikeout staff will diminish the number of balls in play. Then we have the difference between groundballs versus flyballs and left versus right pitchers.

Right on Rebbiv! Thanks for pointing that out.
grin.png

thehippo73 said:
I think Asdrubal Cabrera has the SS gold glove wrapped up. He has made a ton of spectacular plays along with swinging a very good bat. Jhonny has clearly been greater than any of us expected.

Agreed.

Peralta has been terrific, but he doesn't have very good range. But, what a great surprise season overall.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Peralta is loads better than the last years of Jeter. He doesn't have great range like the guy from Cleveland but its not bad. Certainly above average.

He's a mediocre fielder.

His range is below average but he's good at converting the balls he does get to.

Cabrera doesn't have great range either.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Its a bit misleading.

It is a very misleading stat if you really understand the dynamics.

Range Factor = ((Put Outs + Assists)*9)/Innings Played

2006 Playoff Teams

2006 OAK Pitching
1451.6 IP = 4355 Outs - 1003 Ks = 3352 - 41 CS = 3311 Outs

2006 DET Pitching
1448.0 IP = 4344 Outs - 1003 Ks = 3341 - 35 CS = 3306 Outs

2006 NYY Pitching
1443.6 IP = 4331 Outs - 1019 Ks = 3312 - 47 CS = 3265 Outs

2006 MIN Pitching
1439.3 IP = 4318 Outs - 1164 Ks = 3154 - 31 CS = 3123 Outs

Overall Groundball outs
DET = 2843 (17.67 per game)
NYY = 2547 (15.88 per game)
MIN = 2498 (15.62 per game)
OAK = 2483 (15.39 per game)

DET saw almost 300 more groundballs than NYY. That is almost 2 more a game.

SS Range Factor
DET = 4.48
MIN = 4.45
OAK = 4.28
NYY = 4.19

3B Range Factor
DET = 3.41
OAK = 2.99
MIN = 2.67
NYY = 2.50

2B Range Factor
DET = 5.19
NYY = 5.14
OAK = 5.11
MIN = 4.79

1B Range Factor
DET = 10.35
MIN = 9.37
OAK = 9.29
NYY = 9.16

TOTAL Range Factor
DET = 23.43
OAK = 21.67
MIN = 21.28
NYY = 20.99

The difference of 2.44 in infield range factor between DET and NYY is made up largely due to the difference in amount of groundballs faced.

You could have stopped after /innings played. No way I can read all that.

Back