Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Phil Steele's preseason All Big Ten teams

True but even w/ a great defense you still have to have a good offense in order to be a great team. We did not have that last year and probably won't this year either but w/ the B1G in the state it's in and our schedule in particular, we should end up better than 3-5. Anything less than 6-2/9-3 will be a disappointment.

why? You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and if your reasoning is "because I say so" I don't have anything to add, but I've seen a few other spartans make this claim, and I'm not sure what will be the source of the improvement. they should be decent. could possibly be better... but more likely they'll drop a bit. they lost some solid players, didn't seem to replace them with anyone comparable, and it's not like MSU has a new coach coming in who could lead to improvement (like we did with Mattison).

I'm not as concerned with our losses, aside from our interior OL and losing Roundtree.

While we don't have any experienced wideouts with height or speed, I think Gardner's passing ability will more than make up for it. basically, Gardner with avg. receivers is a better passing game than Robinson with great receivers. Funchess could have a huge season.

as far as Vegas' odds, I'll take a look at those again when each team has played a couple games.

Well, Calhoun actually had more QB pressures than William Gholston last year in about a 3rd of the snaps. The DTs will be deeper and have a year more experience. The LBs all return with a year more experience, Norman lost his starting job to Jones midseason and never regained it. The DBs return 6 of their top 7 on the depth chart and Trae Waynes was outpplaying Johnny Adams by year's end. So yeah, the defense is clearly better and deeper on paper. Our defense is returning 17 of 22 players off our two deep and all of them contributed last year on the field. Only 1 player that is gone, William Gholston, started all the games for us last season. Narduzzi rotates all the players, we saw 6+ LBs get snaps every game, we saw 7 or 8 DBs get snaps every game, 9-10 D linemen, these guys have all proven they can play and produce for a top 5 defense in 2012. This year's defense is the culmination of a 6 year process, it's took 6 years and change to produce the kind of depth that you'll see in 2013 for the Spartan defense.

You're not worried about losing the only player that kept defenses honest in Denard Robinson? You're not worried about losing basically all of your consistent playmakers on defense? Don't tell me you've recruited well, you're losing proven producers all over that defense including arguably your 4 best player makers in Demons, Roh, Ryan (Unless you believe that drivel about him coming back in October from a blownout knee), and Kovacs, and other solid starters in Floyd and Campbell. On top of that 2 of the key players you are counting on are recuperating from catastrophic leg injuries in Toussaint and Countess, don't expect them to be who they were for another year. Heck, even Gardner is a question mark at QB, he;s only started a hand full of games and wasn't all that great on a few of them.

Basically, you're going off from what the guys at Rivals and Scout have to say about your players rather than what has been proven on the field. Good luck with that.

Michigan will be decent and an easier schedule will give you some wins, but don't think you can lose all you lost and just replace them with unproven guys and be just as good, just because those guys had a million stars next to their names in high school. You'll be decent because Hoke and Mattison appear to be good coaches, but that team is not close to the point of reloading yet.

Last edited:
Michigan's offense was much better after Denard got hurt.

Michigan's offense was much better after Denard got hurt.

Well, they didn't have to play 3 of the top 4 defenses in the nation without Denard either in ND, Bama, and us. Bound to improve your numbers playing Minnesota and Iowa.

Well, they didn't have to play 3 of the top 4 defenses in the nation without Denard either in ND, Bama, and us. Bound to improve your numbers playing Minnesota and Iowa.

it's a well known secret that Denard was terrible, he's run up huge numbers against teams with bad defenses but if he couldn't turn the corner he was terrible.

he was not a great passer; no argument there.

but he had value to the team as a leader, and in a time of transition, was key to the success and acceptance of the new coaching staff.

after all was said and done, he served his University well, won a BCS bowl, carried the torch, didn't get in any trouble and now he's in the NFL.

it's a well known secret that Denard was terrible, he's run up huge numbers against teams with bad defenses but if he couldn't turn the corner he was terrible.
I don't think it was that much of a secret...

Right now I see this team going 9-3. That does not mean MSU is good this year, it's because of how easy the schedule is and how weak the B1G has been the past few years. The 3 games I have us losing are @Notre Dame, @ Nebraska, and @Northwestern. We have 4 toss-up games IMO, Michigan being the 4th game. That may go either way, I am taking us because we are at home, just as I took Michigan last year only because they were at home.

Id put nw in the toss up category

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Never said he wasnt a good ambassador for the university but I doubt you miss him much on offense.

Should be a fun season to watch, ive been invited to pick my game, 50 yard line 15 rows up, going to the battle fr the Bunyan trophy.

Should be a fun season to watch, ive been invited to pick my game, 50 yard line 15 rows up, going to the battle fr the Bunyan trophy.

Nice, I bought season tix this year, sec 6. I opted for the 20 and a lot closer vs the 50 and 60th row

Nice, I bought season tix this year, sec 6. I opted for the 20 and a lot closer vs the 50 and 60th row

My family used to have season tickets, back row of Section 30, right under the scoreboard on the North endzone. It wasn't the closest of seats, but it was nice because the only thing behind you was the wall, nobody kneeing you in the back and screaming in your ears.

Ill see how I like these, being close is nice but it also means you wait a long time to get out of the stadium

Gonna try and get as many tix as I can. Going to the WMU game, for sure.

Gonna try and get as many tix as I can. Going to the WMU game, for sure.

WMU will be a great time, 10 hour tailgate, have to plan for lunch and dinner during that one. I already got a room for that night, no way am I driving back after that game

Heck, this is already more traffic than the MSU site has had in the last like 4 weeks.

Back