Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Phillies sign delmon young

http://www.freep.com/article/201301...llies-change?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Detroit Tigers
Ex-Tigers DH Delmon Young looking to 'make a change' with Phillies.

According to MLB.com, Young, the top pick in the 2003 draft, can earn an additional $3.5 million in incentives in his contract.

“I’ve done some things where there is a reason for it,” said the 27-year-old Young, who is suddenly the odds-on favorite to win the Phils’ starting rightfield job. “If I went out there and was an All-Star six years in a row and was healthy and a model citizen, that wouldn’t have happened. That’s where I’m looking to make a change.”
Young was suspended by Major League Baseball for seven days and just recently completed community service in New York.

“I didn’t like cleaning up dog poop,” Young said inside the Phillies clubhouse. “It was a dog park and people don’t clean up after their dogs sometimes and we’re left to. A lot of times, I just stared at it, because it was too soupy. But that put some perspective on things, too.”

If he’s healthy — he did have microfracture surgery on his right ankle in November — Young would at least give the Phillies a proven bat in the corner outfield, something they didn’t have before Tuesday. If Young is slated to play right every day.
Young is still rehabbing from surgery, and Amaro allowed that there was at least the chance he could start the season on the disabled list if he’s not fully recovered.
by "proven", im assuming they mean "proven to be god-awful". honestly im shocked anyone signed him at all, let alone an NL team who is planning on making him an everyday player. im sure [insert name of random AAA outfielder here] could do better than young.

Last edited:
A quick re-cap:

750K base salary

250K if he is on the active roster for just 1 day, 100k per 40,80,120 and 160 days on active roster

600k if he makes weight

600k if he has 400 Plate Appearances (900k more if he gets to 600 Plate Appearances

Total = $3.5 Mil

I see a minimum of $2.2 Mil if isn't cut by the All Star break.

I liked his contract much better when it was $750,000. At $3.5 Mil, I would be pissed if I was a Phillie's fan

And none of those incentives say "don't suck". What happened to "bat .280, hit 30 home runs, take a walk now and then and catch the ball/"

Right, because $1.6 million makes all the difference huh?

Glad you're thinking with your wallet.

well...I really don't want either one of them on my team but since they both pretty much suck I would rather have the guy that is cheaper.

After reading the other posts in the thread about Young's incentives I will go back to my original thought...I don't want either of them.

In a few years, he could be an interesting trivia question...who holds the Tiger postseason record for career home runs.

Someone just needs one big postseason (paging Miggy...or Prince...)

Young's contract looks like a deal to me when compared to what the Tigers have payed for bench players that can't hit or catch. I wish that we would have kept young on the bench for that amount. Victor is going to get injured during the year and Young's bat would be nice insurance.

From 2011
The Tigers signed left fielder Ryan Raburn to a two-year, $3.4 million contract Wednesday.

According to The Detroit News, the 32-year-old Santiago inked a two-year, $4 million contract.

Last edited:
Young's contract looks like a deal to me when compared to what the Tigers have payed for bench players that can't hit or catch. I wish that we would have kept young on the bench for that amount. Victor is going to get injured during the year and Young's bat would be nice insurance.

From 2011
The Tigers signed left fielder Ryan Raburn to a two-year, $3.4 million contract Wednesday.

According to The Detroit News, the 32-year-old Santiago inked a two-year, $4 million contract.

If Victor gets injured I'm happy with almost anyone but Delmon Young replacing him. Mr. GIDP would have been a nice bat to have on the bench?

Yeah, nice for the opposing pitchers.

From 2011

2 year DET stats before contract:

Raburn 99.59 RC/650 .846 OPS

Young 70.14 RC/650 .718 OPS

Santiago 67.68 RC/650 .677 OPS

Santiago can play defense at SS, 2B and 3B. Raburn can at least play decent LF and we can argue defense at other positions (2b, 2b, etc). Young has no defense and cannot be an effective DH. There is no way at any cost Young should be on this team.

Last edited:

Could have had any Joe or Joan Blow watching the game in the stands make that turribel toss into the turf. Young looked like he closed his eyes and bowed his head down as he began to wildly fling the baseball. Guess that b/c he likes to flail away @ pitches that bounce into the dirt in front of the plate...why not do likewise in the OF? :no:

Dullmon looks like he is getting his very last shot @ remaining a MLB player next season while in his "prime". Otherwise his older brother Dimitri will have had a much better baseball career than he will.

2 year DET stats before contract:

Raburn 99.59 RC/650 .846 OPS

Young 70.14 RC/650 .718 OPS

Santiago 67..68 RC/650 .677 OPS

Santiago can play defense at SS, 2B and 3B.
Raburn can at least play decent LF and we can argue defense at other positions (2b, 2b, etc). Young has no defense and cannot be an effective DH. There is no way at any cost Young should be on this team.

I believe Santiago can also be used as an emergency catcher.

Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Delmon Young (ankle) is "likely" to start the season on the disabled list.
Gelb says it's "unknown" when Young will be ready to play in Grapefruit League games, "or if he will at all." The 27-year-old underwent ankle surgery in November to remove bone spurs as well as smooth out cartilage, and while it was reported at the time that he would be 100 percent by February, it's clear that his recovery is going slower than expected. That means that two, rather than one, of Domonic Brown, Darin Ruf and John Mayberry Jr. will likely start on Opening Day.

Back