Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Pick'ems Warning

GoBlueInAtlanta

Some of the so-called "Final" spreads have changed. The reason I checked them this week is because last week there were several that were different than what I had written down and I didn't think I could have recorded that many of them incorrectly.

Yesterday afternoon, after the Finals were posted, when I made my picks the Michigan-Iowa game was listed as Off (as in, four Off's across the board). Now it is Michigan -17. Also, the Utah-Arizona game went from Off to Utah -1 and there are several minor changes to other games.

Why are these Finals changing after being posted?

Last edited:
I sent this message to Yahoo!

Why are the Final spreads in College Football Pick'ems changing after they are posted? ex: Yesterday, Michigan v Iowa showed a "Final" of Off, but now is MI -17. This change is proven by the 95% choosing MI when it was listed as Off. Why isn't it set in stone if it's "Final?"

Awaiting the answer.

Here's their "answer":

Thank you for being a Yahoo! user since 2007. We appreciate you choosing to use Yahoo! and truly hope you continue to use Sports, Mail, and Messenger, as you have been.

I want to apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused you. I assure you that I will do what I can to help resolve your issue.

Yahoo! Sports uses the point spreads provided by the Associated Press. These spreads will be updated each day, with Thursday's lines serving as the game's official spread.

To which I responded:

Did you actually read my question, Wes? I understand everything you said, but none of it answered my question.

Let's try this again: Why did the spreads change after they were listed as "FINAL?" Final should be Final.

Everybody is probably aware of this, but just in case, notice that there are Friday games this week-week 13-I think this is the first time this season.

not that it matters. Some chump is way out in front.

I wouldn't say way out in front, not by a longshot.

I will say that I'm 99.9% sure that everybody knows that there are games on Friday, so I took the opportunity to look like a good guy, and a good sport, without really doing anything positive for anybody else.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say way out in front, not by a longshot.

I will say that I'm 99.9% sure that everybody knows that there are games on Friday, so I took the opportunity to look like a good guy, and a good sport, without really doing anything positive for anybody else.

Maybe he said that because you're way out in front of HIM! :)

Here's the latest communication from Yahoo! about the original problem:

I understand that you experienced an issue with the Final Spread changing after being posted. I tried to view the issue you reported, and unfortunately I was not able to replicate the issue you experienced.

Which spread is changing? I would need to see a Final spread and then the spread changing. If you could please show me what your screen looks like when this problem occurs, it will help a lot.

My reply (because I know you're dying to know):

I explained in the original message that the Michigan v Iowa game showed a Final of "Off" which caused 95% of participants to choose Michigan simply to win. The Final then changed to Michigan -17. I know how to take a screenshot but don't have them showing the two "postings" because I didn't expect that a Final spread would change. Again, the proof is that 95% of the participants chose Michigan due to it being Off, because it wouldn't be nearly that high with Iowa getting 17 points. As you can see from my standings in the three groups, I completely understand the game and how it works.

There were several minor changes to other games, including another Off game changing to Utah -1 (which is insignificant when choosing a team, but that's not the point). I could try to find the sheet where I recorded the other scores and the changes if you need.

When this week's Finals are posted I will take a screenshot and see if any spreads change again this week.

Okay, go blue in Atlanta, here's the thing-I can never pick against Michigan to cover; no matter what.

So, whether it's off or whether it's Michigan giving 17-it doesn't matter; I'm going with Michigan, no matter what.

Now, everybody is free to make their own choice; but-if you pick against Michigan; and Michigan loses-it's on you-you fucked it up.

Okay, go blue in Atlanta, here's the thing-I can never pick against Michigan to cover; no matter what.

So, whether it's off or whether it's Michigan giving 17-it doesn't matter; I'm going with Michigan, no matter what.

Now, everybody is free to make their own choice; but-if you pick against Michigan; and Michigan loses-it's on you-you fucked it up.

I always take Michigan. It's the only time I go against my system. Even though there have been some goofy picks on other games this year, I stick with the numbers. I can't argue with 1st, 2nd, and 4th in my groups so far.

I always take Michigan. It's the only time I go against my system. Even though there have been some goofy picks on other games this year, I stick with the numbers. I can't argue with 1st, 2nd, and 4th in my groups so far.

Yeah you're great and you're having a great season. I wasn't talking about you; I was talking about others I've seen going against Michigan.

Anyway, I said my piece.

(on a side note KAWDUP, I've said my piece is PIE CE not PE a CE as I had thought before you corrected me.)

So I stand corrected, but as I recall from that time; I did then anyway).

Wow-Siri got all of that-pretty handy, on a handheld device.

Last edited:

i too never go against michigan in these games either

i picked against michigan when they played msu, so i get credit for the win

I don't think so. I think me and Mich Lady just barely out Karma'd you.

Edit: if you had just picked Michigan Hungry, Michigan would have covered easily; and then none of us would have had to to suffer so much.

I hope this is a learning experience for you, going forward.

Last edited:
Back