Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

pistons dumb

Maybe they can trade their pick this year to a really horrible team (Charlotte?) for a pick next year. Just forget about this years draft and throw in a random couple of second rounders to make it happen.

Here's hoping!

Maybe they can trade their pick this year to a really horrible team (Charlotte?) for a pick next year. Just forget about this years draft and throw in a random couple of second rounders to make it happen.

Here's hoping!

Ehhh I'm not too keen on pretty much sacrificing the entire 14' season for the next years draft in which we will likely lose our pick to Charlotte in the Gordon trade anyways, getting only one 1st pick instead of 2 like you're assuming.

I'd rather take Burke or whoever they think is the best forward this year and then throw money at whichever position we didn't pick in free agency and then make a playoff run. I don't think we are too far off from the playoffs. We wouldn't have even been in the lottery if Drummond doesn't get injured, and not even mentioning Maxiell got all the minutes this year.

I agree with jrange378. For one, I just don't see how we keep the pick without a devastating set of injuries to Monroe and Drummond (which could be worse than any pick we get the following year). Joe is adamantly anti-tanking, which is why we always seem to lose 3-5 draft spots at the end of each year. With a draft full of talent, and a superstar caliber player at the top, other teams are going to tank hard. We simply aren't bad enough to out-lose those teams when we don't actively tank.

Also, we do have a relatively high pick and a lot of money. I'm as concerned as anyone about how we will use that money, but I can't disregard the fact that we may use it wisely. With a healthy (and more experienced) Drummond next to Monroe, plus Burke/Oladipo, and a good wing (Redick, Iggy, Kirilenko-transitional SF), we could possibly push for playoffs. Milwaukee really isn't that strong, Boston is only getting older, and there a lot of teams in the East we could fill up on to get to 38 wins.

Ehhh I'm not too keen on pretty much sacrificing the entire 14' season for the next years draft in which we will likely lose our pick to Charlotte in the Gordon trade anyways, getting only one 1st pick instead of 2 like you're assuming.

I'd rather take Burke or whoever they think is the best forward this year and then throw money at whichever position we didn't pick in free agency and then make a playoff run. I don't think we are too far off from the playoffs. We wouldn't have even been in the lottery if Drummond doesn't get injured, and not even mentioning Maxiell got all the minutes this year.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about acquiring a first next year to replace the one we'll (likely) lose. I wouldn't have a problem with that if the deal was right, and the right guy didn't fall to us in this draft. It's not like they'll be gunning for a championship next year. If the talent difference really is that stark this makes some sense.

Yeah, Drummond and Monroe are going to crash the boards hard next year in the starting lineup IMO, we just need a facilitator and some shooters. Preferably a PG with a shot and great driving ability in combination with a athletic forward who has a great shot as well. We already have some good role players.

I would love a Burke pick, but I see nobody available in FA for 2013 that suits what I would look for in a SF...

EDIT- And it does make sense, but at the same time I want to see improvement, not tanking for next year.

Last edited:
EDIT- And it does make sense, but at the same time I want to see improvement, not tanking for next year.

Under that scenario they wouldn't have to tank, the pick they trade for wouldn't be tied to their record. Though I'm sure if they did make a trade it would be protected to some degree, and the whole plan could backfire if it gets turned into a 2015 pick.

Trading this years 1st round pick for next years in a more talented group according to scouts is pretty similar to throwing away this season to me.

But what about Tyreke evans? It says G/F so he can play forward. Hes pretty good.

Trading this years 1st round pick for next years in a more talented group according to scouts is pretty similar to throwing away this season to me.

Not sure I'm following your logic. According to you the current squad was a playoff team if Drummond didn't get hurt. Now, with Andre hopefully healthy, some experience with he and Monroe playing alongside each other, and an offseason ahead with plenty of money to spend...this team is a lost cause if they don't select a first round pick in the draft?

To me they're a borderline playoff team with our without the pick next year. If Joe feels he can make a bigger impact on the long term talent level of this team by trading this year's pick, go ahead. Of course considering his current situation it's probably doubtful that he does.

Last edited:
Not sure I'm following your logic. According to you the current squad was a playoff team if Drummond didn't get hurt. Now, with Andre hopefully healthy, some experience with he and Monroe playing alongside each other, and an offseason ahead with plenty of money to spend...this team is a lost cause if they don't select a first round pick in the draft?

To me they're a borderline playoff team with our without the pick next year. If Joe feels he can make a bigger impact on the long term talent level of this team by trading this year's pick, go ahead. Of course considering his current situation it's probably doubtful that he does.

I said they would have missed the lottery, not the playoffs. If they traded this 1st round pick without even knowing if they will be able to get any significant talent in this already weak FA pool, then yeah, I consider that throwing the season for next year. Drummond and Monroe can't do it alone.

Opps, then I just mean out of the top ten. They only focus on the top ten anyways lol.

No team in their right mind would trade a pick of expected equal slot next year for one this year. That's like trading down in the draft without getting extra picks. This year is very weak on top prospects.

No team in their right mind would trade a pick of expected equal slot next year for one this year. That's like trading down in the draft without getting extra picks. This year is very weak on top prospects.

According to analysts. For all we know, this years class is the best class to ever come out and next years top prospects will all bust.

According to analysts. For all we know, this years class is the best class to ever come out and next years top prospects will all bust.

That could be true, but I don't think projections have ever been that far off. This year's class is considered very weak (as in 2000 draft weak), while next year is being touted as one of the best ever. Even if we ignore the actual long-term production of either draft, perception will affect trades. Maybe everybody is wrong, but they certainly aren't going to make a trade banking on that.

It takes time to rebuild guys, I can't be the only one that sees we're going in the right direction...Its going to be a tough ass team with Drummond and Monroe down low, and I love the way Dumars is rebuilding, hes done everything right since Gores took over and hes had more freedom.

Joes been here for how long now and we still need a 1 a 2 and a 3?!?! Soooooo all this time of suck and he has a 4 and a 5 to show for it and hes lucky as hell he got the 5.

Joes been here for how long now and we still need a 1 a 2 and a 3?!?! Soooooo all this time of suck and he has a 4 and a 5 to show for it and hes lucky as hell he got the 5.

Well it takes a while to hit rock bottom after being a championship team, and then rise to the top with totally different pieces. I look at his body of work starting at Drafting Greg Monroe and ending eith Jose Calderon so far. The only questionable move was dumping Gordon to get rid of salary for a conditional 1st we still haven't paid up for.

Drummond and Monroe make up one of the best frontcourts in the NBA, both capable of putting up double doubles every night. Knight is still only 21 after his 2nd year and his production isn't as bad as people think. He can still improve and its not like anybody picked after him is lighting it up. The Tayshaun trade is good in my book.

Hes made a lot better moves since Gores came in.

Well it takes a while to hit rock bottom after being a championship team, and then rise to the top with totally different pieces. I look at his body of work starting at Drafting Greg Monroe and ending eith Jose Calderon so far. The only questionable move was dumping Gordon to get rid of salary for a conditional 1st we still haven't paid up for.

Drummond and Monroe make up one of the best frontcourts in the NBA, both capable of putting up double doubles every night. Knight is still only 21 after his 2nd year and his production isn't as bad as people think. He can still improve and its not like anybody picked after him is lighting it up. The Tayshaun trade is good in my book.

Hes made a lot better moves since Gores came in.

sure would be nice to have carmello or wade right about now.

thats my point....you said it takes a long time lmao......its been 10 years. How long are you giving him?

The pistons won the championship that year, so he didn't need much time. And then the pistons went on to go to the finals, conference finals multiple times, and the playoffs for like 5 consecutive years after the championship. Then they went into rebuild mode in 2009.

But how much time does he have now? The only way he gets more than this year to make the playoffs is if he makes a good pick in the draft and then doesn't blow the FA money on bad players, in wait for a better pool next year. If he blows the FA money and we don't make the playoffs, boot him.

Back