Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Pistons Off season grade

While I don't doubt that Jennings wants to succeed, I always wonder, did he somehow not care about being better in Milwaukee? There's a difference between following a bad coaching plan and flat out overestimating your abilities. He's a poor shooter off the dribble who sucks at finishing in the paint. And yet, he loves taking shots off the dribble and forcing incredibly difficult shots in the paint. Even if Milwaukee's offensive system is bad (which it is), a lot of his struggles are on him. He is very quick to say he won't have to take bad shots here, but that's neither true nor pertinent. He didn't have to take most of the bad shots he took in Milwaukee, and it's not like the Pistons are going to create any better spacing.

Jennings strikes me as a very Stuckey-esque player. He is skilled and talented, but has such huge glaring holes in his game that his ceiling is limited. He's better the less he's asked to carry, but his need to force himself into the action hurts the whole team. It's one thing for a rookie to carry himself like a superstar and find out that isn't the case. It's another for a 5th year guy to suddenly decide he's going to stop being the person he's been his whole career.

Time will tell. I disagree with your assessment of Stuckey.....I don't think he is skilled or talented. He is nothing more than a bench player.

Time will tell. I disagree with your assessment of Stuckey.....I don't think he is skilled or talented. He is nothing more than a bench player.

That seems a little harsh. He has a very high assist rate for a SG, and is a good passer if you aren't comparing him to PGs. He had two years of above average efficiency and well above average PER. Drawing fouls is a either a skill or talent, and he's always been near elite there.

Now, I'm not saying any of that makes him a starter. I think he could start on the right team and be solid, just as I think he is better off as a bench player more often. If you are so down on Stuckey (which is understandable after the worst year of his career), that's fine, but you should probably also keep in mind just how low the bar really is for most players that aren't all-stars or superstars. Role players easily outnumber stars overall in starting lineups.

That seems a little harsh. He has a very high assist rate for a SG, and is a good passer if you aren't comparing him to PGs. He had two years of above average efficiency and well above average PER. Drawing fouls is a either a skill or talent, and he's always been near elite there.

Now, I'm not saying any of that makes him a starter. I think he could start on the right team and be solid, just as I think he is better off as a bench player more often. If you are so down on Stuckey (which is understandable after the worst year of his career), that's fine, but you should probably also keep in mind just how low the bar really is for most players that aren't all-stars or superstars. Role players easily outnumber stars overall in starting lineups.

That's true....I just never thought much of him as a player. I hated him as a PG and didn't think he was a good shooting guard.

That's true....I just never thought much of him as a player. I hated him as a PG and didn't think he was a good shooting guard.

I still hate him as a PG. Joe has tried way too hard these last few years to put square pegs in round holes. I think Stuckey is better as a SG, but a terrible fit with what Joe has constructed now. Ugh, I'm really not a fan of Joe anymore. It seems ever since the championship breakup, he's been throwing darts at a wall with player acquisition, never having a sense of the big picture.

I'm not a blind homer like many on these boards. I never said I agree or disagree with what the panel had to say about the players. It is just a list of UNBIASED people who's job is involved with the NBA.

and you NEVER seem to disagree with ANYTHING they say. like i said you copy and paste their shit like its the god damn bible of sports and u follow it like a religion. you ahve yet to prove other wise

I'm not a blind homer like many on these boards. I never said I agree or disagree with what the panel had to say about the players. It is just a list of UNBIASED people who's job is involved with the NBA.

your a blind ESPN homer. plain and simple

your a blind ESPN homer. plain and simple

you're a blind Pistons homer! I post a few links to ESPN that don't reflect your "sunshine and roses" view if the Pistons and you get your panties in a bunch. In another thread you predict that the Pistons will be a 4 seed in the east....I say 9th seed and you get all upset and cry like a little bitch.

you're a blind Pistons homer! I post a few links to ESPN that don't reflect your "sunshine and roses" view if the Pistons and you get your panties in a bunch. In another thread you predict that the Pistons will be a 4 seed in the east....I say 9th seed and you get all upset and cry like a little bitch.

I call, you out and u call names.

Actually on the espn pistons board I agreed with most that joe dumars muffed up when he failed on ben gordon and charlie v. or don't you remember my. off season/amnesty clause thread. Hoping they would amnesty charlie v. Though did save that for josh smith our jennings now. With charlie and stuckey gone after this season.

I call, you out and u call names.

Actually on the espn pistons board I agreed with most that joe dumars muffed up when he failed on ben gordon and charlie v. or don't you remember my. off season/amnesty clause thread. Hoping they would amnesty charlie v. Though did save that for josh smith our jennings now. With charlie and stuckey gone after this season.

I don't remember the thread but I do agree that those moves sucked. I also think they should have Amnestyed (is that a word?) CV but I'm guessing it had something to do with the sale of the team.

I don't remember the thread but I do agree that those moves sucked. I also think they should have Amnestyed (is that a word?) CV but I'm guessing it had something to do with the sale of the team.

I liked both signings when they happened because those two were among the top free agents at the time.

Told ya....should have tanked this year. Were in the midst of losing 7 of 8 to a bunch of below .500 teams lmao. We paid big salaries to a bunch of players that will make us mediocre at best and lose us our first round pick for the best draft since LeBrons. Joe dumars is soooo fucking dumbbbbb.....

Last edited:
This off season was what we all thought it would be. Joe D's last gasp.

As of now I have to give it an F. Hopefully they continue to suck so they can get into the draft lottery. Maybe they can get a lucky ping-pong ball and get a top 4 pick!

Yeah right I give it an A+ Jennings and Smith are the truth........ .... ... . .. .

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but part of me thinks Dumars made the acquisitions this offseason knowing they weren't a good fit, thinking that adding Smith would make Moose expendable in a deal. Obviously, he has made some horrible moves over the last 5 years or so, but we know he isn't completely clueless about the importance of team chemistry and roles...

I will officially reserve judgment until after the trade deadline at least. He has some valuable trade chips in Monroe, Stuckey (good 6th man, expiring), and Villuaneuva (expiring). We need a 3 who can hit outside shots and play defense, and a decent big to come off the bench if we move Monroe. Not sure if Joe can pull off a trade (or trades) for those kind of guys, but let's see what happens. Like I said, Joe ABSOLUTELY knew this core of talent did not compliment each other very well, but adding talent to the team was his only move considering the owners mandate (and I think Smith was only slightly overpriced for what he brings to the table WHEN HE IS IN HIS PROPER ROLE).

Jennings appears to have not learned what "shot selection" is, and is a somewhat failed gamble so far. And to add insult to injury, apparently got outplayed by Knight tonight lol. -EDIT- not true, he actually had a pretty good game and most definitely outplayed Knight, but he still took too many shots.

As of right now, it's a D... a good trade for one or two players that fill needs, and it could look a lot better. If that doesn't happen (and remember we could still work out a sign and trade with Moose during the offseason), then I'll bet Dumars is gone.

Last edited:
Back