Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Please don't resign Cleary

tigersofjustice

I have liked the guy all these years he has been with the Wings, but he was abysmal this past season. Father time has clearly caught up with him and if he were going to be resigned it should be as a fourth liner or a guy with a two way deal. The roster is taken up as it is and there is no room on the fourth line. Rumor has it that there is a multi year deal being discussed which I am severely hoping is not true. If they were to sign him at all it should never be more than a on year deal.

Danny was looking like a guy playing pick-up out there at times. Trailing his guy, lunging for the puck and just meandering in circles out there. Especially in the Ducks' series. After game one of the Hawks' series, he actually looked more like an actuall NHL player who was merely a step behind the play.

As with any contract, it will only be as bad as the terms. Cleary has clearly lost a step, but his experience in the system still has value. If we sign him to 3rd/4th line money, so be it, he can still grind when asked. But I also don't see much point in signing him for more than a year or two (and preferably with an option on that second year).

What I think the Wings should do to finish with the best possible roster for next season:
1. DO NOT resign Cleary, Brunner, or White. The last two are no-brainers, but please don't resign Cleary. He is old, slow, can't score, can't skate, etc.

2. We need to clear up some cap space so we can give (in order), Smith, Nyquist, and Andersson new contracts. Currently we have 2.3 mill, and ideally we would want 6 mill for all three. In order to clear up the necessary space, we will have to try and package Emmerton with 1 of Tootoo/Bertz/Sammy, and in return get either draft picks or a couple minor league players.

2 cont. Smith should get around 2.75-3 mil, Nyquist and Andersson should be happy to sign a 3 year 4.5 mil contract (1.5/year), prove themselves, and then renew for around 3 per year.

My best possible lines:
1. Hank - Dats - Abs
2. Mule - Weiss - Alfie
3. Miller - Helm - Eaves
4. Nyquist - Andersson - (Tootoo/Sammy/Bertz)

1. Smith - Kronwall
2. Ericsson - Kindl
3. DeKeyser - Quincey
4. Lashoff

Howard

^^^^^^^^Tootoo/Sammy/Bertz barely make up one decent hockey player, so if your intent was to have all three playing at the same time with Nyquist and Andersson, I support that.

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^Tootoo/Sammy/Bertz barely make up one decent hockey player, so if your intent was to have all three playing at the same time with Nyquist and Andersson, I support that.

I still don't even think we could take the best qualities from all 3 and have someone worthy enough to skate with Nyquist and Andersson

What are your plans for Tatar?

Personally, I'd love to see a Nyquist-Helm-Tatar 3rd or 4th line. Tatar still need work defensively (as does Nyquist), but all that speed would be awesome. They could be a good spark plug line that can skate circles around opposing low-liners.

What are your plans for Tatar?

Doesn't he still have a 2-way option? I think he is definitely NHL ready; but it's just something we'll have to wait on. Once we lose the contracts of Tootoo, Bertz, Sammy, and Alfie (and possibly Eaves), that opens up space for our GR boys:

Tatar
Mursak
Sheahan
Jurco
Glendening

The future is bright.:nod:

I wish Bertuzooozi and Sammulessossssson would do the honorable thing and retire.

Wow, nobody was even willing to give him a NHL contract and of course the wings come in and let him take up a roster spot which would have been much more valuable for one of the younger players to have.

Now, hold on, Danny Cleary will be inherently valuable as a player we can rail on all season. Every team needs such a player.

Now, hold on, Danny Cleary will be inherently valuable as a player we can rail on all season. Every team needs such a player.

Yup every time he falls down or easily looses the puck, which will be like 4 times a shift, I will be there to rail on him.

terrible signing if Tatar or Nyquist get left off the roster for an over the hill Cleary.

the guy is done like dinner, he cant even bury a wide open net anymore.

Back