Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Possible Smith trade

Stan Van Gundy's first trade as the new president and coach of the Detroit Pistons might prove to be a whopper.

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com on Tuesday that the Pistons have engaged the Sacramento Kings in trade discussions this week that would potentially land Josh Smith in the same Sacramento frontcourt as DeMarcus Cousins and Rudy Gay.

Sources say that Smith being swapped in exchange for the combination of Sacramento's Jason Thompson and Derrick Williams is one trade construction that the teams have discussed. Although one source insisted Tuesday that no deal is imminent, another source told ESPN.com that the teams have continued to exchange proposals, with Williams potentially being replaced by another Kings player such as Jason Terry or Carl Landry.

Skeptics will inevitably question whether the Kings should indeed take the gamble of trying to fit Smith in alongside Cousins and Gay, especially with three years and $40.5 million remaining on Smith's contract from the Pistons last summer and in the wake of his struggles playing alongside Detroit big men Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe.

Sources say that the Kings, though, have been giving the swap serious consideration, largely because the deal would not cost them any players in their long-term plans and would also add a versatile and athletic defender to a roster that badly needs one, answering coach Mike Malone's call for more help on that end.

Another potential bonus is Smith's close relationship with Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo, whom Sacramento has reportedly been targeting in trade talks for some time.

One source said that the Kings' focus, for the moment, is Thursday's draft and perhaps swinging a trade involving the No. 8 overall pick. Sources told ESPN.com's Andy Katz on Tuesday that Sacramento has narrowed its potential draft pick trade partners down to Boston, Phoenix and Philadelphia -- three teams that have multiple first-round picks.

But rolling the dice on Smith would not be dissimilar to the Kings' trade last December for Gay, which to date has worked out better than most outsiders projected.

looks like it could involve an expiring contract whether its terry or williams

i'd take terry over williams though. give us depth at Guard for the one year

I'd take whatever they want to give lol.

But, if they also move that #8 pick and change for Rondo. That starting 5 has lots of skill.

Miami could end up dropping like a rock. they have 11 FAs 13 in Bosh and Wade both opt out like James did. i doubt they keep everyone

Reading a few threads on a Kings forum, seems like a lot of their fans would welcome a move like this....and I'm sure most Piston fans would love to get rid of him for anything. Seems like a good move for both teams (or at least both fanbases).

Bizarre how one team can covet a player, the other wants to wash their hands of him. Personally, if SVG can get rid of him for a few players, I'd be praying at his temple. When you have a guy set the all time record for worst 3pt percentage in a season, and he's a SF/PF, time for him to go bye-bye.

Not a chance. I'm not a big fan of either. The game is too much of a perimeter game nowadays. An un-athletic center who can't hit from 10 feet out does not work in today's game, as does a freak of an athlete who can get to the rim at will, but chooses to jack up thousands of threes doesn't work either.

nbatrade_zps062aa849.png

The new rumor according to twitter. I guess Boston also receives the Kings #8 pick.

All that so sac can be -11 wins and lose a top 10 pick lol....awesome gm they got!

All that so sac can be -11 wins and lose a top 10 pick lol....awesome gm they got!

The trade machine undervalues Rondo because it bases the numbers on last year only, in which he was recovering from injury. It also doesn't take into account defense, in which Rondo can be (though hasn't really been lately) elite, while Thomas is a non-factor.

That's still a home run for the Celtics. The 6th and 8th picks plus a very underrated scoring PG is a hell of a starting point. The fact Rondo is so difficult to deal with in general and wouldn't be sticking around after his contract expires just eases the transition.

I don't care what kind of return the Pistons get as long as it's not as bad or worse contract than Smith, his contract is terrible.

That SAC deal would have been great for the Pistons, too bad it fell through, they probably wanted Drummond or some stupid shit.

please just get that bum the fuck outta town, anyway, anyhow.

Last edited:
Kings have likely tabled talks until after the draft. They are still trying to figure out whether to trade the pick or who to take otherwise. None of the players mentioned in trade talks is affected by the draft, so they can pick up after. But there's no real point continuing right now since we don't have a pick and Sac isn't going to be offering theirs in a deal for Smith.

Back