Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Possible Tigers/orioles/cubs 3 way trade

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2013/1/8/3850484/orioles-tigers-cubs-talking-3-team-trade
Orioles, Tigers, Cubs talking 3-team trade?
from mlbdailydish

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/tigers-cubs-orioles-discussed-three-way-deal.html
Tigers, cubs, orioles discussing three way trade.
mlbtraderumors

Porcello and JJ Hardy main parts.

http://www.freep.com/article/201301...chicago-cubs?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Detroit Tigers
Tigers discussed 3-team trade with Orioles, Cubs.
from the freep

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2013/1/...rade-discussions-rick-porcello-jj-hardy-rumor
Tigers, Cubs, Orioles in three-way trade discussions involving Rick Porcello, J.J. Hardy.
from blessyouboystigersblog

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2013/01/report_detroit_tigers_discuss.html
Detroit Tigers discuss 3-team trade with Baltimore Orioles, Chicago Cubs; targeting shortstop J.J. Hardy.
from Mlive

Last edited:
So Porcello for JJ Hardy? Not sure I feel about that. And what to do with Jhonny P.?

So Porcello for JJ Hardy? Not sure I feel about that. And what to do with Jhonny P.?

Sorry, Porcello for Hardy straight up is us getting ripped off.

Even if we sent Peralta to one of them in exchange for Soriano, it's a bad deal because of Soriano's paycheck.

It might be okay if we sent Porcello and Peralta in exchange for Hardy and Soriano, and a boatload of cash, which is unlikely.

I'd still rather keep Rick until a deal for a piece we actually need evolves.

It doesn't really sound like Baltimore wants to part with Hardy. Mybe DD is floating this out there to light a fire under another team??

I'm gonna be seriously mad if we trade Porcello and Peralta away for Hardy and Soriano (with the Cubs eating most of the salary).

Man I wish the season would start. I'm tired of these rumors that don't help us at all. Tha constant dealing of Porcello and Peralta for players that aren't any better is ridiculous

Man I wish the season would start. I'm tired of these rumors that don't help us at all. Tha constant dealing of Porcello and Peralta for players that aren't any better is ridiculous

Based on stats I think Hardy is an upgrade over JP. It appears he is better offensively & defensively. I just don't how you pull this trade off with Porcello, Peralta and Hardy. If they get Soriano but don't have to pay most of his salary I guess it would make sense. He would be a similar liability in the OF as Boesch but he would be a huge upgrade in the lineup.

This would be a great lineup

A Jax
T Hunter
Miggy
Prince
V Mart
Soriano
JJ Hardy
Infante
Avila

Hardy would be a significant upgrade over Peralta. Offensively they are both poor, with Peralta having a slight advantage. Defensively the difference is huge, as Peralta has no range and Hardy is one of the best defenders of all SS. So we throw Hardy at the bottom of the order, no biggie - we weren't getting much out of Peralta anyway. And obviously this frees us to trade Peralta for something else we could use.

Porcello isn't providing much for a team with a defensively challenged infield anyway.

Based on stats I think Hardy is an upgrade over JP. It appears he is better offensively & defensively. I just don't how you pull this trade off with Porcello, Peralta and Hardy. If they get Soriano but don't have to pay most of his salary I guess it would make sense. He would be a similar liability in the OF as Boesch but he would be a huge upgrade in the lineup.

This would be a great lineup

A Jax
T Hunter
Miggy
Prince
V Mart
Soriano
JJ Hardy
Infante
Avila

There is no way Hardy is an upgrade over Peralta. NONE.

2010-2012 Away

Peralta .258 BAVG .322 OBP .407 SLG .729 OPS

Hardy .241 BAVG .281 OBP .398 SLG .679 OPS

2010-2012 UZR/150

Hardy 11.1

Peralta 9.5

They both are 30. Hardy will make at least $7 Mil in 2013 and 2014. Peralta is signed through 2013 at $6 Mil.

The irony for Porcello in this trade, would be the notion that we would be upgrading the infield defense.

Reading more about this it makes even less sense. The Cubs have already signed 4 pitchers this offseason so there is no need for Porcello and I'm not convinced Hardy is that much of an upgrade on Peralta. Why would we just give Porcello away.

There is no way Hardy is an upgrade over Peralta. NONE.

2010-2012 Away

Peralta .258 BAVG .322 OBP .407 SLG .729 OPS

Hardy .241 BAVG .281 OBP .398 SLG .679 OPS

2010-2012 UZR/150

Hardy 11.1

Peralta 9.5

They both are 30. Hardy will make at least $7 Mil in 2013 and 2014. Peralta is signed through 2013 at $6 Mil.

The irony for Porcello in this trade, would be the notion that we would be upgrading the infield defense.

But JP had that great year in 2011. Watching the Tigers he just looks bad. I would much rather have the better defensive player who I think will be better over the next 2 years.

Edit: Looking at Hardy he had a good year in 2011 too. I would still rather have JJ than JP.

Last edited:
So Hardy won't take a trade of Castellanos and Rondon to make it happen???? I guess Schoenfield was wrong.

But JP had that great year in 2011. Watching the Tigers he just looks bad. I would much rather have the better defensive player who I think will be better over the next 2 years.

Edit: Looking at Hardy he had a good year in 2011 too. I would still rather have JJ than JP.

Peralta Away

2010 = .777 OPS

2011 = .752 OPS

2012 = .647 OPS

Career = .738 OPS, Last 3 Years = .729 OPS

Hardy Away

2010 = .768 OPS

2011 = .752 OPS

2012 = .571 OPS

Career = .711 OPS, Last 3 years = .679 OPS

Both players suffered from a sub-par 2012 and their home stats are what carried their 2011 seasons. The difference between the two, is that Peralta walks far more often than Hardy.

This is a bad trade idea. Hardy is basically Peralta. He's a slightly better defender but they are similarly valuable. Porcello really is more valuable than both. Why would the Tigers make a value trade down to get out from a over stock of SP to have an overstock of SS? That makes no sense if anything, you want more behind at SP.

If the Tigers want to trade Porcello so bad, trade him for Jim Johnson.

If the Tigers are so worried about improving their defense, Worth is already on the roster and he is exceptional defensively.

Back