Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Pre-schooler has her lunch taken away.

Isn't it supposed to possibly have lead, pesticides, and other non-organic material in it?

Pesonally I love milk (now skim of course - I'm an old fart), and if I go because of drinking milk, well then so be it.

I figured as long as we are derailing the thread, I would join in. :*)

It's not a derailment; the kid was "missing" milk, according to the nutrition agent at the school.

lol...my kid takes a Dr Pepper everyday along with 2 slim jims , a bag of brownies and a peanut butter granola bar.

anf those are on the days he doesn't ask for 5 or 10 dollars to hit Burger King or Taco Bell.

I guess I'd much rather hear about how this is all some conspiracy theory by the Republicans to put Obama in a bad light. Sure it is. :*)

. . . and sorry, I guess it is on topic, but even if the school lunch did actually turn out to be healthier, I would still be blinded with rage at the administrator that made that mistake. . . . if it was a mistake.

Although after reading more, it seems the district may be standing behind their "policy".

I was genuinely pissed - so I thought would vent. It is a political issue, but somehow I didn't think this one would come down along party lines.

What was I thinking?!?

SLICK said:
lol...my kid takes a Dr Pepper everyday along with 2 slim jims , a bag of brownies and a peanut butter granola bar.

anf those are on the days he doesn't ask for 5 or 10 dollars to hit Burger King or Taco Bell.

. . . and it should stay your right (although I use that term loosely in this forum) to decide what they eat.

I wouldn't want anyone telling me what I must (not should or could) feed my kids.

OMFG call DEFACS - I gave my kid a bag of chips and some apple juice.

KAWDUP said:
I was genuinely pissed - so I thought would vent. It is a political issue, but somehow I didn't think this one would come down along party lines.

What was I thinking?!?

if you follow the media with a objective view, and don't believe everything you read, you'll definitely start to notice some interesting trends.

this is just the sort of story gasbags on the right love to blow way out of proportion. and of course, they never focus on the real issue, namely why a school would have a dietary agenda that forces kids to drink milk...

MichChamp02 said:
KAWDUP said:

What was I thinking?!?

if you follow the media with a objective view, and don't believe everything you read, you'll definitely start to notice some interesting trends.

this is just the sort of story gasbags on the right love to blow way out of proportion. and of course, they never focus on the real issue, namely why a school would have a dietary agenda that forces kids to drink milk...

I deliberately stayed away from the obvious right-wing sites when I reported it, hoping that folks wouldn't think I was trying to put some party-line spin on it, but you are correct, inasmuch as it looks like an intrusion that would get the right trying to use it for political gain.

. . . but why is the fact that it was actually unhealthier more important than you not getting to decide what your child should eat?

MI_Thumb said:
smayschmouthfootball said:
I can't apologize for you if you've gulped down the notion that cow's milk is healthy for humans. It's not.

/leavesgullibleville

Oh, how I love conspiracy theories.

Do tell, aside from the small amount of fat in the Milk, why it's unhealthy for humans.

Also, baby cows (or any mammal for that matter) don't quit drinking milk by choice, once they develop teeth the mother weens them, so they can eat a diet more suited to adolescent/adult of the species, since Milk is not a complete diet after infancy, and I don't think anyone ever claimed otherwise.

Google the reasons why cow's milk is not healthy for humans yourself. You could spend hours on the topic. And, listen, Fred Ziffel, cows have no front teeth, they nurse for up to three years and they have most of their baby teeth after one month of birth.

SLICK said:

Just make sure he grabs the right brownies, or you're really in trouble.

DR said:
SLICK said:

it's Canada ;) the laws are leniant.

SLICK said:
DR said:

it's Canada ;) the laws are leniant.

In that case throw some mushrooms in his bag. If he can get through a day of school on mushrooms he's ready for the real world!

smayschmouthfootball said:
MI_Thumb said:
Oh, how I love conspiracy theories.

Do tell, aside from the small amount of fat in the Milk, why it's unhealthy for humans.

Also, baby cows (or any mammal for that matter) don't quit drinking milk by choice, once they develop teeth the mother weens them, so they can eat a diet more suited to adolescent/adult of the species, since Milk is not a complete diet after infancy, and I don't think anyone ever claimed otherwise.

Google the reasons why cow's milk is not healthy for humans yourself. You could spend hours on the topic. And, listen, Fred Ziffel, cows have no front teeth, they nurse for up to three years and they have most of their baby teeth after one month of birth.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&sclient=psy-ab&q=why+is+cow%27s+milk+bad+for+humans&pbx=1&oq=why+is+cow%27s+milk+bad+for+humans&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=1540l10061l0l10919l32l26l0l6l6l8l777l11446l2-3.6.9.5.2l31l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=d272a33775ff33c4&biw=1280&bih=885

I don't see a single thing on the first page that has any real merit.

Couple thing spouted by vegans, and a few others claiming the hormones etc. which is in beef, pork, and poultry meat too, so once again we're back to being vegans.

But I'll take your word, and those a a few people with blogs, for it.

And for the record, I don't drink milk, not because I think it's unhealthy (that would be stupid) but because I don't like it.

And as far as the Fred Ziffle bit, that was funny I give you credit, but you said that baby cows don't even drink milk, then later said they nurse for 3 years......which is it?

And for the record, I don't drink milk, not because I think it's unhealthy (that would be stupid) but because I don't like it.

And as far as the Fred Ziffle bit, that was funny I give you credit, but you said that baby cows don't even drink milk, then later said they nurse for 3 years......which is it?

It's both. When a cow gets pregnant again, all bets are off with junior.

Here's a link that is not tied to Vegans and it's a pro-con list:

http://milk.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000656

That link is just a bunch of opinions v. the counter-opinions.

If you want to say your opinion is you think milk is unhealthy, fine.....I wont argue it with you.

If you're saying it's a fact, then that's different, and in no way supported by solid data.

http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v58/n5/full/1601869a.html

Abstract

Objective: Milk consumption is considered a risk factor for vascular disease on the basis of relevant biological mechanisms and data from ecological studies. The aim was to identify published prospective studies of milk drinking and vascular disease, and conduct an overview.

Design: The literature was searched for cohort studies, in which an estimate of the consumption of milk, or the intake of calcium from dairy sources, has been related to incident vascular disease.

Main outcome measures: Ischaemic heart disease and ischaemic stroke.

Results: In total, 10 studies were identified. Their results show a high degree of consistency in the reported risk for heart disease and stroke, all but one study suggesting a relative risk of less than one in subjects with the highest intakes of milk. A pooled estimate of relative odds in these subjects, relative to the risk in subjects with the lowest consumption, is 0.87 (95% CI 0.74

Where are the links to these studies? Not that I care whether it is unhealthy or not, but it seems like I could go and spout all that crap too, and as long as no one challenges me on it, people like some here will take it as fact.

I'm just saying - it is still unsubstantiated words on a web site.

Back