Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Preseason Game 1: Bills @ Lions Thread

Im pretty sure your feed is behind mine. He had made 3 straight nice throws and then I saw your post about him looking lost lol

Im watching on nfl network. I posted right after the defense 1st series

Watched the replays. Little concerned about Goff staring down and still throwing to his 1st option. That was feel from replay I watched of almost every snap. Likely it is due to still getting comfortable with the offense. Hopefully next week shows some improvement.

Via Eric Woodward of ESPN.com, Lions coach Dan Campbell said Friday that the team has dismissed head athletic trainer Dave Grantino.

Watched the replays. Little concerned about Goff staring down and still throwing to his 1st option. That was feel from replay I watched of almost every snap. Likely it is due to still getting comfortable with the offense. Hopefully next week shows some improvement.

I thought he was OK. Tough to get a read on one quarter of the 1st pre season game with a new QB and new OC.

Thought Goff was accurate when he did throw. One solid mid range throw to Williams on the outside and ASB in the slot. Other than that, mostly easy check down throws. It looked more like they were interested in seeing how the OL was going to run block against a solid DL. Not that well was the answer.

Side note........I now realize just how good of an arm Matthew Stafford has. I mean, I knew it....but we saw it every week for 12 years. Then, you see somebody with just an average arm like Goff throw the ball.....and it's like he's throwing changeups out there.

You're right zxyt.....would like to see a little more of the playbook open next week and for Goff to go through a few progressions.

That almost TD pass was a nice through as well. Defense made a play. As a 1st preseason game he did absolutely fine.

The issue with Goff is he needs to be an above average qb in this league if we are to keep him. Otherwise we could find a game manager or draft one for much cheaper than what he?s making and use that money elsewhere on the roster.

The issue with Goff is he needs to be an above average qb in this league if we are to keep him. Otherwise we could find a game manager or draft one for much cheaper than what he?s making and use that money elsewhere on the roster.

So what's the point?

His reworked contract will keep him here 2 years. Year one will be as the unquestioned starter. This is his make or break year, honestly......which sucks for him because he'll be strapped with a bunch of no.2 and no.3 receivers. If he proves to be a good starter with this group.....he'll likely be extended a few years to lower his 2023 cap and extend the terms of his deal. If he can be above average with this group of WR there certainly would be hope for the future because we could then use one of our 1st rounders on a WR and have the cap space to sign a good FA WR.

If he fails, which i believe he will, he will be the transition guy next year for the quarterback we draft high in the 1st in 2022. Maybe he starts the season and gives way mid way though......maybe he just serves as a REALLY expensive back up for the entire year. In this scenario.....he is gone after 2022 with $20M+ in cap savings and a $10M cap hit for 2023 and a $5M cap hit for 2024.

Last year he had a 90 passer rating which these days isn't top of the line anymore but it's not terrible and when Matt was this young he had 3 sub 90 years (excluding his rookie year) and others still said he was a good QB (I don't get it). The difficulty is the unproven WR corps. If he can be accurate like he was last season I think he'll be a success. He doesn't need to be elite just decent-solid.

Hopefully the running game will prove worthy.

Could potentially trade him for a few picks, even mid round picks would be ok. Reload using all the picks they get from trading Staff and then Goff, reducing Cap along the way allowing them to acquire quality FAs.

Those FAs do not have to be the top money guys, because instead of getting 2 top money guys I would prefer 3 upper tier players for that same cost as those guys plus the high pick rookie contract players should allow them to build a very well rounded team.

Last edited:
His reworked contract will keep him here 2 years. Year one will be as the unquestioned starter. .

Year 2 when we select a top 5 QB, Goff begins the fight for his job. This is why i would have taken the picks this year and start the rebuild now. Hope it works out....but if the plan is to start a competition for starting QB in year 2 of a rebuild....i just never saw that as a good option.

After week 1 of the preseason i wouldnt have minded Sewell and Fields on the Detroit Lions after we pick back to back with the CAR pick.

Year 2 when we select a top 5 QB, Goff begins the fight for his job. This is why i would have taken the picks this year and start the rebuild now. Hope it works out....but if the plan is to start a competition for starting QB in year 2 of a rebuild....i just never saw that as a good option.

After week 1 of the preseason i wouldnt have minded Sewell and Fields on the Detroit Lions after we pick back to back with the CAR pick.

only time will tell...but they did have a chance to take Fields. It will be a double edged sword if he turns out to be a great QB...not only did the Lions pass on him but they will have to face him twice a year.

Back