Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Preseason Game 3: Lions @ Jaguars Thread

Good to see Tomlinson with enough speed to get to the next level for a block.

Chad Henne. One of my favorite Michigan QBs who didn't do shit in the NFL. Which is pretty surprising, dude has a cannon for an arm. Think he's had the bad fortune of being stuck on a loser for his career.

I'm surprised at the number of complaints about Lewis, yet Tully is getting no complaints. He was the one being continually exposed in the passing game sans the one hit he had that injured Robinson. Jags keyed their passes to whomever Tully was covering with all those 3rd down conversions. Maybe he just had an off night, or maybe he has lost another step (was never stellar in pass defense but was flat out exposed by Jags). Regardless, the lack of complaints there astounds me as the impression I had was his PFF score for pass defense would be worse than -10. Yes, he is solid vs run...but they definitely need to bring in a new MLB next year who has some ability in pass defense.

I'm surprised at the number of complaints about Lewis, yet Tully is getting no complaints. He was the one being continually exposed in the passing game sans the one hit he had that injured Robinson. Jags keyed their passes to whomever Tully was covering with all those 3rd down conversions. Maybe he just had an off night, or maybe he has lost another step (was never stellar in pass defense but was flat out exposed by Jags). Regardless, the lack of complaints there astounds me as the impression I had was his PFF score for pass defense would be worse than -10. Yes, he is solid vs run...but they definitely need to bring in a new MLB next year who has some ability in pass defense.

You're right. Tulloch wasn't good. However, I think the Lions played a LOT of basic man coverages last night. Very little blitzing. No Levy.

I think Levy and Whitehead will man obvious passing situations......with Tulloch becoming more of a 2 down LB.

EDIT: Lewis is TRASH. If at any point we have to rely on him during the regular season.....we are fucked. Hope Van Noy can find a way to get 100% healthy......quickly.

Last edited:
Didn't mean to imply Lewis doesn't deserve criticism. He should be cut IMO. I would amend your Tully is a 2 down LB though and say that he should only be ay LB during obvious rushing situations. Even then, if I'm the opponent and I see Tully is on the field, I audible to a pass and throw to whomever Tully is supposed to cover for an easy 1sy down. Dude was that brutally exposed last night. Lions will need to double team whomever Tully is supposed to cover, or just have him blitz every time there is a pass.

Lol, well that sucks. No Levy, no Ngata, not much Whitehead from what ive read. Was that really our first team defense? Did Ansah play much?

Lol, well that sucks. No Levy, no Ngata, not much Whitehead from what ive read. Was that really our first team defense? Did Ansah play much?

No Ansah, Jones, or Ngata. That's 3 of 4 starters on the D Line out. It really isn't surprising to me that they couldn't get a pass rush going. Run defense still looked great. Hopefully they're back for week 1.

No Ansah, Jones, or Ngata. That's 3 of 4 starters on the D Line out. It really isn't surprising to me that they couldn't get a pass rush going. Run defense still looked great. Hopefully they're back for week 1.

God, I hope so. Looks like Bortles torched the 1st team

The starters on DL are not going to make a difference if all a QB has to do is think, "Who is Tully covering?" and throw it to that guy. It's a single read. Even a 3rd string QB could have completed the passes because the guys Tully was trying to cover were that wide open. I think last year's injury has resulted in him losing a step...and he didn't have much to lose before the injury.

Tully is the leader of that defense. He'll be out there all the time. Not too worried about what Bortles did, with 5 of our front 7 out. Zenner can play, he'll make the team.

They were fine without Tully last year. Leader or not, when you lose a step and can no longer perform at the necessary level, you no longer play every down.

Back