Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

"Probable, mild concussion"

Bacon on Lucy ann lanz show now

I like what he is saying abs sharing about atmosphere and history

Lucy will probably release recording later

See Gulo, there's a pretty recognizable event involved in a concussion which actually
catches everybody's attention - Head Coach, neurologist, the announcers,
everybody in the stands, everyone - play stops.

Why?

Because there's a fucker laying on the ground, that's why.

Why?

Because the fucker is knocked out, that's why.

Kind of an attention grabbing thing.

This is the first clue that a concussion has occurred.

Brandon and Hoke both gotta go?

I'm fine with that; don't know who to replace with, or that it should happen tomorrow, but fine.

But there was really nothing unusual about the hit on Morris, or the response to
it.

See Gulo, there's a pretty recognizable event involved in a concussion which actually

Why?

Why?

I'm fine with that; don't know who to replace with, or that it should happen tomorrow, but fine.

But there was really nothing unusual about the hit on Morris, or the response to
it.

Like I said before, Hoke could be replaced by a shoe today and there wouldn't be any difference except the shoe wouldn't say stupid shit.

Last edited:
I expect the regents to drop the hammer soon. They can't let this carry on, can they?

I expect the regents to drop the hammer soon. They can't let this carry on, can they?

They've probably taken a "wait and see" approach to see whether or not things cool down. Everyone needs to continue applying the pressure and even ramp it up until Brandon is fired. The event in the Diag tonight helps, but they should hold it every night and make sure it grows each night until it happens. When they see the issue is growing instead of shrinking, that is when they will drop the hammer. Only question is how big does it have to get?

Will it require the student athletes forfeiting games??? Let's say the field hockey and other "smaller" athletic events were forfeited and the football team was threatening the same...would THAT get their attention? How long would it take to drop the hammer then? Sure the university could threaten to revoke those players' scholarships, but can you imagine the media shit storm that would create? No way they even make the threat, but if they did...well, I can only imagine what that would result in. Zero ticket sales? Rioting? Those seem minimal to me compared to what revoking player scholies would result potentially result in. The entire university might have the students stop attending classes too.

Just getting petitions going and giving the university a deadline date saying on that day all athletes will stop playing their sport and all students will stop attending classes...I think an organized threat like that would be enough for the powers that be to say it is in everyone's interest to fire Brandon immediately.

No, it should not have to get to that point, but the real question is, will the Student Body be willing to go to such an extreme? Will they beat the drum and start making it seem like they are willing to go there if something is not done?

20yrs ago ...hell, 5yrs ago a coach would have told the player to "rub dirt on it" and get back in the game.

but times are different.

pitchforks and torches?? no. and there is HYSTERIA as Rumsey points out - fallacies by folks at ESPN and others, describing a situation they didn't see, didn't know about and don't know about other than what they've read themselves..

the "endangering a player" angle is a red herring, IMO and is merely the classic "last straw."

I like Brady Hoke but I do not like, nor do I respect Dave Brandon.

Bill Martin is sort of a dick and not a very personable guy, but he's looking a lot better in hindsight as AD and whoever comes in next needs to understand that there is more to MICHIGAN than the Block M and winged helmet.

And no, sbee, that's not "falling back," that's the way it has always been

Have hard time believing it will quiet down

It has been all over national news
Fans fleeing stadium
And folks will keep asking about it

Why?

Why?

it.

Concussions can happen without loss of consciousness. That used to be one of the things they looks at it categorizing concussions as mild or severe, whether or not there was loss of consciousness. But the categories are only useful if they predict something or point to differing recommended treatments. Turns out, those classification didn't hold any predictive value. So they dropped the classification.

Even though Dave Brandon, M.D. still uses the term.

Victors, it's not really hysteria when the stuff is right in front of them. They aren't watching tape of a claim that someone saw a vampire on the field. They have the tape. It's pretty cut and dry to see what we all saw.

This is a huge story. And it gets worse to hear that the kid actually DID have a concussion.

It was different just five years ago. That's when the neurologist started getting involved. Didn't go to every game until 2012.

I approve of the changes. I hope we can put acceleration sensors in helmets someday to notify the coach and med staff whenever someone's head gets hit that bad. The game can still be hard hitting and players can still tough out leg and arm injuries. But I'd draw a line at brain injuries. That's not a character-building element of sports.

20yrs ago ...hell, 5yrs ago a coach would have told the player to "rub dirt on it" and get back in the game.

but times are different.

pitchforks and torches?? no. and there is HYSTERIA as Rumsey points out - fallacies by folks at ESPN and others, describing a situation they didn't see, didn't know about and don't know about other than what they've read themselves..

the "endangering a player" angle is a red herring, IMO and is merely the classic "last straw."

I like Brady Hoke but I do not like, nor do I respect Dave Brandon.

Bill Martin is sort of a dick and not a very personable guy, but he's looking a lot better in hindsight as AD and whoever comes in next needs to understand that there is more to MICHIGAN than the Block M and winged helmet.

And no, sbee, that's not "falling back," that's the way it has always been

I understand that UM athletics has a long and proud history, come on, I'm not going to deny that.

I've met Bill and Sally a number of times, never thought he was a dick by any means. never met Brandon personally but i've seen him on the course a number of times. I talk have a lot of friends who are UM alumni and they really, really don't like him. they don't like the fact that he jacked the prices up for everything and then tripled the AD salary. The branding and marketing focus is ok if you're winning games, but they're not so I understand why they're pissed.

Hoke is Bobby Williams, a guy who's a good position coach but completely over his head as the CEO of a major d1 program. BW has been the running backs coach at Bama for years, Brady should find a similar landing spot.

I think that this wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal if they were 5-0, he'd say that they're putting new processes in place and everyone would go about their business. this may be the final straw

personally, I think the Gibbons cover up/lie was way worse than this. this is just incompetence which I can forgive a lot easier than intentionally misleading the public on a serious issue in order to save face.

Holy shit. How and why did Brandon not communicate this to Brady? Why did Brandon let him go out there like an idiot at the press conference, and let him release that horrible statement yesterday? Isn't this the exact thing Brandon is *supposed* to be good at?

I'm almost as confused now as I was before. And I'm thinking neither Brady nor Brandon are departing amicably.

Well, rumor is that Brandon tried to get the neurolgist to lie or not release the report about the concussion and the neurolgist kept his integrity and refused, that's why this took an extra day to come out. If this is even close to true, Brandon will be fired today or tomorrow.

If Brandon somehow survives this thing, there is no coach in the country including any from pee wee football who would come play for him after him offereing up Hoke as a sacrifice.

How not to handle a minor scandal? David Brandon and Brady Hoke are experts in how not to handle situations like this. Wow.

Well, rumor is that Brandon tried to get the neurolgist to lie or not release the report about the concussion and the neurolgist kept his integrity and refused, that's why this took an extra day to come out. If this is even close to true, Brandon will be fired today or tomorrow.

If Brandon somehow survives this thing, there is no coach in the country including any from pee wee football who would come play for him after him offereing up Hoke as a sacrifice.

How not to handle a minor scandal? David Brandon and Brady Hoke are experts in how not to handle situations like this. Wow.

maybe not a head coach that's doing well right now but I know a lot of people who would put up with Brandon in order to make 3-4 mil a year for 3 years. You can win at Michigan and you'd have the resources and facilities to compete, if it didn't work out, you end up being a very rich man who did his best. It might not be ideal for the brothers harbaugh or miles but that's a good opportunity for an assistant or MAC level HC

Victors, it's not really hysteria when the stuff is right in front of them. They aren't watching tape of a claim that someone saw a vampire on the field. They have the tape. It's pretty cut and dry to see what we all saw.

This is a huge story. And it gets worse to hear that the kid actually DID have a concussion.

The Hysterical part is the media misrepresentation of events - esp ESPN.

A SportsNation article said Hoke 'forced Morris to stay in'
Accounts say Morris took a helmet/helmet hit which isn't true ...
Countless 'experts' are grandstanding about player safety ..
MGoBrian has gone off the deep end a bit, IMO..

There is hysteria.

Dan Patrick is devoting this am to the story ...and the details are changing again.

I was at the game and WE ALL saw the hit (sorry hailhail) but that doesn't mean Hoke is a bad guy.

Last edited:
somewhere Roger Goddell is thanking Brady Hoke for this

Oh wow.

No sarcasm at all.

Kid is playing football:'kid is not dancing White Swan.

Kid got right back up; kid wanted to stay in and compete.

"Mild concussion" is bullshit; if you get concussed, you have a period of unconsciousness.

As a youth league football coach, I ma required to take concussion awareness courses. They tell you clearly that this is not true. A concussion can happen without losing consciousness.

So take that for what it is worth.

Also, a very close family member is a neurologist. In fact, as a result of this relationship I know many neurologists. They assure me the same. A concussion does not require loss of consciousness.

Home and buss has bad control of team

Bad decisions and loss of control

Coach needs to be more informed, involved and firm with players

I posted several opinion pieces
All clear Brady is judged on performance and not his integrity

Back