Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Put The Calvin Garbage Time Argument To Rest

Slick

Cant recall the gimp or gimps who declared most of CJs yards come against prevent defenses or "garbage time" defenses....but this should disprove your asinine theories.

Calvin Johnson - WR - Lions
Calvin Johnson recorded 91 of his 122 receptions, 1,428 of his 1,964 yards, and all five of his 2012 touchdowns against defenses that played six or fewer defenders in the box.

While the statistics strongly hint at Detroit's lack of a viable run game, it also confirms Megatron's dominance versus "pass-stacked defenses." He beats double and triple teams on the regular. Still just 27 years old, Johnson has led the NFL in receiving yards and all wide receivers in fantasy points in back-to-back seasons. A better running game could actually make him more efficient.

Last edited:
I think most of know this just a few simpletons :nod:

It also tells us we can't run on a prevent defense.

No one has ever had 1600 yards in 3 seasons, 2013 is record breaking..

Gruden talks way too much.

I love the part of the record breaking game where Gruden "guarantees" that anyone with that many receiving yards has more than 900 yac yards. Johnson finished the season with 512.

Gruden is an idiot.

To be fair he was targeted 187 times and his qb broke the record for attempts...you can't say he doesn't benefit heavily and his numbers aren't inflated due to the current state of the NFL. (Rules, strategy etc) He's great but I definitely think much like Brees qb record doesn't hold up to Marino's, this one doesn't hold up either. Great season either way no matter your opinion.

I posted this in another thread before. I was curious and went and looked up the info for myself.

CJ only had 4 games where you could say he may have had "garbage time yards."

We beat J'Ville 31-14 and he caught 1 pass with 8 minutes to go in the 4th Q when we were up 24-8. That catch was for 18 yards and lead to us scoring again to make it 31-8. He caught no more passes that game.

In the very next game against Minnesota on the road we were down 34-17 with 4:30 to go. He caught 3 passes (including a TD) on our final scoring drive to make it 34-24. Those 3 passes went for 11, 19 and 11.

In the Arizona game we fell behind 31-10 with 5 minutes to go. CJ caught 1 ball for 8 yards after that.

In the Atlanta game, we fell behind 31-16 with 3 minutes to go...technically i'll count this as garbage yards even though we have a chance to score and recover an onside kick. CJ catches a pass for 26 yards (record setter). We give the ball back and end up getting a safety to make it 31-18 with 1:21 to go. CJ catches 1 more pass for 20 yards.

So that's it guys.....every other game we were in it until the very last drive. Either us or our opponent could win it, lose it or tie it on the very last possession of the game. There were no other "garbage time yards." He caught 7 balls for 113 yards during times where we really had no chance to win, lose or tie the game. That's it.

Moral of the story...next time someone brings up garbage yards use this post and tell them to go fuck themselves.

Most targets since 2008

11 Welker -194 in 19 games
08 Fitz- 188 in 20 games
12 Calvin- 187 in 15 games
11 R.White- 187 in 17 games
10 R.White- 183 in 17 games

Last edited:
To be fair he was targeted 187 times and his qb broke the record for attempts...you can't say he doesn't benefit heavily and his numbers aren't inflated due to the current state of the NFL. (Rules, strategy etc) He's great but I definitely think much like Brees qb record doesn't hold up to Marino's, this one doesn't hold up either. Great season either way no matter your opinion.

It's been posted before but the receiving yards numbers from Jerry's year were rediculous. So lets not act like Jerry did his in a time where WRs were struggling.

Most targets since 2008

11 Welker -194 in 19 games
08 Fitz- 188 in 20 games
12 Calvin- 187 in 15 games
11 R.White- 187 in 17 games
10 R.White- 183 in 17 games

You don't seem to get it, who cares how many times he was targeted. He had very little garbage time which is what this thread is about, NOT that he may have been targeted more than someone else so he may have gotten more yards.

And the fact, which is already been stated, the Lions get played in pass defense more than anyone else. And those other guys didn't get close to 1900+ yards so gtfo with that shit.

You don't seem to get it, who cares how many times he was targeted. He had very little garbage time which is what this thread is about, NOT that he may have been targeted more than someone else so he may have gotten more yards.

And the fact, which is already been stated, the Lions get played in pass defense more than anyone else. And those other guys didn't get close to 1900+ yards so gtfo with that shit.

Ok Mitch

ok , what ? why does it matter if Stafford throws in 1,000 times....point is CJ is doubled and tripled everytime he run downfield , his YAC is nowhere close to where that idiot Gruden claimed...not other WR in the NFL draws the attention Calvin does.

Back