Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

QB decision today

I'm guessing he's thinking Stanton, Hoyer and Cousins. But it's actually 4 straight. Smoker was with St. Louis for 2 seasons.

I know but didnt we have dowdell for a year between them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

To be fair this is Michigan's first season with a viable quarterback since 2007.

I was not asking about Michigan, but thank you nonetheless. But since you brought up the subject, the offense in place at the time at Michigan was, in fact, in direct contradistinction to the properties of the sort of quarterback that Michigan had produced previously to 2007. I blame the previous athletic administration for that and not so much the coach it hired, but that's all in the past now.

If you're going to use big words to make yourself sound like an intellectual it's important that you avoid obvious grammatical errors, particularly in the sentence with the big word. I would also suggest that you avoid using the same word so close together - repetition like that is awkward and it may make the reader suspicious that your vocabulary is not as extensive as you represent by using the aforementioned "big word" - they might think you just heard that in class and are "frontin".

If you're going to use big words to make yourself sound like an intellectual it's important that you avoid obvious grammatical errors, particularly in the sentence with the big word. I would also suggest that you avoid using the same word so close together - repetition like that is awkward and it may make the reader suspicious that your vocabulary is not as extensive as you represent by using the aforementioned "big word" - they might think you just heard that in class and are "frontin".

It was a post, Mr. Chips. Right from my brain to the keyboard.

And that's why my advice is so relevant. You may want to proof read the things your brain puts on your keyboard lest readers think it came from your posterior (that's your butt). I'm familiar with the book but I'm not an English teacher, I just thought in the future you would like to avoid grammatical errors that are in direct contradistinction to the intellectual superiority you're attempting to assert in your arrogant, patronizing posts.

I don't see a problem with the use of the phrase "direct contradistinction"

contradistinction is a word. there could be contradistinctions that are maybe not so direct; so while it may not be an ideal way to say what he's trying to say, it is not grammatically incorrect.

but like you said, you are not an English teacher.

I forgot to capitalize a few words there, and the previous sentence should probably be connected to the prior one via a comma, instead of on its own, but you won't give me crap for that. right?

And that's why my advice is so relevant. You may want to (1)proof read the (2)things your brain puts on your keyboard lest readers think (2)it came from your posterior (that's your butt). I'm familiar with the (3)book but I'm not an English (4)teacher, I just thought in the future you would like to avoid grammatical errors that are in direct contradistinction to the intellectual superiority you're attempting to assert in your arrogant, patronizing posts.

You are really reading too much into my response. And, by the way, consider taking your own advice.

(1) "Proofread" is one word.

(2) Subject "things" and antecedent "it" do not agree.

(3) Need comma between "book" and "but."

(4) Missing word or need semi-colon. "I'm not an English teacher; I just thought..."

I don't see a problem with the use of the phrase "direct contradistinction"

contradistinction is a word. there could be contradistinctions that are maybe not so direct; so while it may not be an ideal way to say what he's trying to say, it is not grammatically incorrect.

but like you said, you are not an English teacher.

I forgot to capitalize a few words there, and the previous sentence should probably be connected to the prior one via a comma, instead of on its own, but you won't give me crap for that. right?

I don't see a problem with the use of the phrase or the word either.

You are really reading too much into my response. And, by the way, consider taking your own advice.

(1) "Proofread" is one word.

(2) Subject "things" and antecedent "it" do not agree.

(3) Need comma between "book" and "but."

(4) Missing word or need semi-colon. "I'm not an English teacher; I just thought..."

1 & 2 - good catch. I guess those went right from my brain to the keyboard.

3 - no, I don't need a comma. The coordinating conjunction "but" is adequate separation. However, using a comma there would not be incorrect.

4 - A word is not missing, nor is a semicolon needed (note the optional use of a comma before the conjunction - happy?). That comma is a typo. It should be a period.

Last edited:
Then I suppose I misunderstood why you were criticizing him.

I think you did. He should have either ended the sentence after "previously" or said "previous to 2007". Also, I think it would sound better if he used some combination of previous/prior/before instead of the back-to-back "previous". And I'm not a grammar cop. I just think it's fun to point out the mistakes some dork makes in his patronizing, snarky posts. It's all in good fun. Who talks like that on a sports blog anyway? If I want to be condescended to by some faux intellectual, I'll go watch YouTube videos of Keith Olbermann on MSNBC or Current TV.

Last edited:
I think you did. He should have either ended the sentence after "previously" or said "previous to 2007". Also, I think it would sound better if he used some combination of previous/prior/before instead of the back-to-back "previous". And I'm not a grammar cop. I just think it's fun to point out the mistakes some dork makes in his patronizing, snarky posts. It's all in good fun. Who talks like that on a sports blog anyway? If I want to be condescended to by some faux intellectual, I'll go watch YouTube videos of Keith Olbermann on MSNBC or Current TV.

oh.

1 & 2 - good catch. I guess those went right from my brain to the keyboard.

They weren't exactly 95-mile an hour fastballs with movement.

3 - no, I don't need a comma. The coordinating conjunction "but" is adequate separation. However, using a comma there would not be incorrect.

Actually, you do need a comma, because the coordinating conjunction "but" is introducing an independent clause, "I'm not an English teacher."

4 - A word is not missing, nor is a semicolon needed (note the optional use of a comma before the conjunction - happy?). That comma is a typo. It should be a period.

If you agree that a period is proper, than so is a semi-colon, which can be used to connect two independent clauses if appropriate.

And Keith Olbermann is actually a pretty bright guy. He makes me crazy, but he's no faux-intellectual.

I acknowledge the misuse of "previously." Thanks for the correction. I liked the word "contradistinction" because it so accurately described the differences between the QBs Michigan had under Rich Rodriguez and the offense that was in place before his arrival and what was gradually adapted by Borges and Hoke after Rodriguez's departure. I was looking for the term to summarize all that ... "stuff."

1 & 2 - I was acknowledging the errors, not complimenting your grading skills. Besides, my "fastball" was never clocked at more than high-sixties.

3 - the comma is still optional when connecting independent clauses. See rule 2 here: http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/commas.htm Of all punctuation, the comma is the most over-used. It is the punctuational equivalent of the word "that".

4 - I'm not "agreeing" that a period is proper, nor am I saying that a semicolon is not correct. I'm "saying" a period is proper and the error was a typo that I didn't catch - the "comma" is right next to the "period" on the keyboard and I hit the wrong key. By the way, since we're being pedantic a$$holes, it's "then so is a semicolon" not "than" and semicolon is one word and is not hyphenated.

Keith Olbermann is a bully who never has an original thought and doesn't say anything that isn't scripted. Why do you think he never engages the opposition in a debate? It's because his writers can't get witty, eloquent responses to the teleprompter in real time.

Last edited:

Dowdell started the last 5 games for Smoker after he was suspended in 2002(Smoker's jr year). He also started a couple games for Stanton in 2004.

I was not asking about Michigan, but thank you nonetheless. But since you brought up the subject, the offense in place at the time at Michigan was, in fact, in direct contradistinction to the properties of the sort of quarterback that Michigan had produced previously to 2007. I blame the previous athletic administration for that and not so much the coach it hired, but that's all in the past now.

Just saying a UM fan should not be smack talking when it comes to QB play the past five years

Yes we did have Dowdell for a year, what a bum. Last I knew he was playing in a minor league arena football type league with the Saginaw Sting, but this was a couple years ago.

Yes we did have Dowdell for a year, what a bum. Last I knew he was playing in a minor league arena football type league with the Saginaw Sting, but this was a couple years ago.

Dowdell was a loser from the jls era.

Grammar aside:

Keith Olbermann is a bully who never has an original thought and doesn't say anything that isn't scripted. Why do you think he never engages the opposition in a debate? It's because his writers can't get witty, eloquent responses to the teleprompter in real time.

The guy was a 16-yr-old Cornell freshman. And I figure he had a major hand in his content on Countdown, though I could barely stand listening to it. Virtually everyone on TV news is prompted. Has to be that way to manage the information and keep it scheduled.

I think this is rather clever and accurate. Not all that "significant," but ... "here's ... Keith!".

Scroll to the video.

Last edited:
Back