Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Quinn says keeping Caldwell "easiest and best decision Ive made so far"

tbone413

Lions GM calls keeping Caldwell his “best decision”

First-year Lions general manager Bob Quinn said Tuesday that retaining Lions head coach Jim Caldwell “was probably the easiest and best decision I’ve made” since being hired in January.

Quinn left the Patriots to take control of the Lions’ football operation as part of a complete restructuring of the team’s front office, but he chose to keep Caldwell on the sideline.

His praise for Caldwell came in an interview Tuesday with SiriusXM NFL Radio.

“I really have a great working relationship with Jim,” Quinn said. “All of the sets of meetings we had, whether it was when I first got there figuring out our team, leading into free agency, leading into the draft meetings… really felt comfortable with Jim and his staff and their ability to take a player that has a certain skill set and make that fit into the schemes that they’re running.

“Offense is offense, in my opinion, but defensive scheme-wise you’ve got to have good fits. In New England, we liked big linebackers, we liked big defensive linemen, we played a two-gap style defense. But here in Detroit, I’m really learning how to evaluate the one-gap players. It’s really exciting. It’s something that I’m listening a lot to, to our scouts, our personnel guys and our coaches about what they see and then was able to kind of put those into the decision making process for the draft and free agency and I’ve felt like we’ve added good players on the defensive side as well.”

The Lions went 11-5 in Caldwell’s first year in 2014 and 7-9 last season. He’s 44-36 in five seasons as an NFL head coach and has won two division championships. The Colts went 14-2 and lost in the Super Bowl in 2009, his first season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/21/lions-gm-calls-keeping-caldwell-his-best-decision/
-------------------------------------------------

While I'm not sold on Caldwell, and still think he is one of the worst in game decision makers in the league, I am glad Quinn kept him around this season, as there were no 'obvious' upgrades available. That being said, I dont think Quinns endorsement means much, as if the team goes under .500 this season, he will cut ties Caldwell so fast his head will spin.

Last edited:
Considering the coaching pool was slim pickens for the most part in the off season, keeping Caldwell was the right choice. I am guessing he is waiting for Matt Patricia or Josh McDaniel. Personally I would go for Matt Patricia. But, if the Lions have a good season this year then I am not sure what Quinn would do?

First-year Lions general manager Bob Quinn said Tuesday that retaining Lions head coach Jim Caldwell “was probably the easiest and best decision I’ve made” since being hired in January.

The heads of thousands of Lions fans just exploded.

Made sense. Switched OC and went 6-2 the last 8 games. Keeping the coordinators was a priority and if you bring in a new coach chances are you lose one or both.

Plus if they start off too slow, you fire the coach this year and start over

Both caldwell and mike zimmer have 18 wins and playoff loss the last two years. Zimmer just got extended

Back