Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Rebuilding the Wings

everyoneneedsasmil

I think all of us can agree this has been a pretty disappointing season, and there is little reason to suspect it will get much better. Given that, I think it is fairly obvious the team should finally turn their attention to rebuilding. This is even more important now, as the upcoming expansion draft is likely going to stretch the team just to protect all the young players they have.

This team has a lot of needs, so I'm not suggesting trades made before the deadline would fully restock the cupboard. And honestly, its probably better if the team did not improve from trades (or got worse) to ensure a high pick in the draft.

The most obvious trade candidate to me seems to be Hank. He's still really good on both ends of the ice. He's still got a lot of name recognition, and his actual salary after this year is minimal. He could boost a contender in a big way, or he could be a leader on a young team that's trying to move from rebuilding to contender. I wouldn't expect a huge haul given his age, but one blue chip defensive prospect shouldn't be too hard to find.

I think Howard should be shopped, but I don't expect any takers unless we keep a good portion of his salary.

And then, of course, we should be looking to find if any if our expiring contracts can fetch a pick.

I think all of us can agree this has been a pretty disappointing season, and there is little reason to suspect it will get much better. Given that, I think it is fairly obvious the team should finally turn their attention to rebuilding. This is even more important now, as the upcoming expansion draft is likely going to stretch the team just to protect all the young players they have.

This team has a lot of needs, so I'm not suggesting trades made before the deadline would fully restock the cupboard. And honestly, its probably better if the team did not improve from trades (or got worse) to ensure a high pick in the draft.

The most obvious trade candidate to me seems to be Hank. He's still really good on both ends of the ice. He's still got a lot of name recognition, and his actual salary after this year is minimal. He could boost a contender in a big way, or he could be a leader on a young team that's trying to move from rebuilding to contender. I wouldn't expect a huge haul given his age, but one blue chip defensive prospect shouldn't be too hard to find.

I think Howard should be shopped, but I don't expect any takers unless we keep a good portion of his salary.

And then, of course, we should be looking to find if any if our expiring contracts can fetch a pick.

Completely agree. Let the youngsters play now and learn, shop the veterans, and scout like hell to produce a strong draft. Prepare this team for life after the streak and after the Joe.

Completely agree. Let the youngsters play now and learn, shop the veterans, and scout like hell to produce a strong draft. Prepare this team for life after the streak and after the Joe.

Yes, exactly. I think "the streak" has been holding the team back for a few years now. I think more aggressive approaches could have been taken to make something sustainable, but the risk was to high that would lose the streak in the process. The team cared more about getting that last playoff spot than having a real chance at winning it all. And that's not a bad thing, necessarily. There's no question the streak has been impressive.

But the team is in a different place now. The playoffs are little more than a pipe dream. And even selling the future may not be enough to get the team to a playoff level.

Doubt Detroit would trade the caveman. Considering the loyalty they have shown to their veterans over the past they will let him retire as a Wing.

Zetterberg could always decide to retire early and leave the Wings stuck with the cap recapture penalty.

That being said, the Wings NEED to start the rebuild and trading Vanek would be the first move because there is 0 chance Detroit can afford the cap hit of the fat contract he will sign in July.

That being said, there is only a 5 point difference between 3rd place in Atlantic and 8th place where Detroit find themselves now. Playoffs can still happen, however, the roster needs a change and a potential coach swap to get them there.

Justin A. and Helm should be back soon. No sure how much it helps but I agree with everything you guys have said .. Wings have to try something just not sure Holland is up to the task ..

Espn has a article on insider about wings play off chances .. anyone have insider ?

This is only a paragraph. .

http://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/sto...ed-wings-get-back-track-make-playoffs-2016-17

It's actually a pretty long article. It breaks down the issues in the categories. First, it shows how the awful power play is likely to improve because almost everyone is playing well below their career numbers there (and regression to the mean is the most likely outcome). Second, it breaks down how our goalies can actually play really well despite Mrazek's swoon as of late. Third it talks about how we have huge holes at the top of our defensive pairings - everyone on the blue line is better suited to play a line lower, and we are getting blitzed with shots because everyone is stretched beyond what they are capable (we have too many depth players and no stars).

The tone is that the power play and goalie situation can definitely improve and keep the team afloat, but the blue line has no real path to improve and is likely to remain a major weakness the rest of the year. The team "could" improve and make the playoffs because how weak the lower tier playoff teams are in the east, but it's statistically very unlikely that the streak continues.

Copying and pasting would have been a novel.

An interesting note is that the entire article is about how the Wings can make the playoffs (ad others have been lately). I've seen very little addressing the likely reality that the team needs to focus more on next year than desperately hoping to keep the streak.

Back