Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

RedWings Legendary Goalie Terry Sawchuk

Thanks KC... I never knew this. About how he died... I need to be more up to date on my Wings history.. Now this is one tough dude..

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Thanks KC... I never knew this. About how he died... I need to be more up to date on my Wings history.. Now this is one tough dude..

That scar over on the left side of his forehead, I might have been at that game at the boston garden back in 1960 or 61. Memory is good, but sometimes years get blurred. Anyways, dad got tickets 3/4 rows back of the RedWings bench, I was psyched. Watching all the Wings stars Gordie, Terry, Alex, and Bruins iirc were always sucktastic back then,
so I expected the Wings to win. All of a sudden a slap shot hits Sawchuk and knocks him down. Play stopped, he finally got up with blood pouring down his face, skates from the goal back to the Wings bench. Here I am few rows back at a perfect angle watching all this as a 13 year old that never saw that kind of blood in real life. The Wings doctor takes this large needle probably of some novacaine/numbing agent, it was huge and stuck it in his forehead. Then he starts stitching it up. The game had gone on with the Wings backup goalie. Terry is stitched up, and in real time say about 15 minutes, Sawchuk goes back out to finish the game.

I never got to see him play but I have seen some videos of him playing and have heard many stories about him from my grandpa..that dude was an absolute freak of nature, he had some of the quickest reflexes in the history of the sport and was extremely dedicated to his craft. Plus he had Balls of steel to play for over 15 years without a mask..

Back