Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Refs give us the shaft..........again

That blocked fg and forward lateral play was pretty pathetic. I dont like making the refs an excuse though. So Ill just take the high road and say if the Lions defense made any attempts to resemble an NFL defense, we wouldnt be sweating bad calls right now.

haha my dad and I talked about that play when it happened and were confused as to why it couldnt be reviewed. They gained so many yards extra because of it also that penalty pushes them back even farther probably changing the outcome of their drive afterwards.

Yeah, that play lead to a td, and changed the momentum of the game. Oh well, with how disgusted I am with the defense right now, I cant let calls on the field excuse how terrible this defense is.

Last edited:
Everyone sees this crap happen to the Lions. NFL games are tight and the Lions keep getting screwed. This unacceptable it keeps happening over and over in big games going against the Lions. Ted Ginn spot in 2011. Green Bay challenge fiasco in 2011. Houston game last year. Now this plus some bogus PI non calls on Bush/Johnson and an OPI on Johnson.

Blocked FGs are ruining a good season for the Lions. It's pure crap where this stuff comes from.

Could Houston have covered better sure. But AJ Green is AJ Green and does this to alot of teams. Dalton made an amazing throw to Eifert as well with Mathis in solid coverage. And then a short field on the other TD that shouldn't have been. The defense did enough and then the shanked punt happened. We seriously should be talking about the defining moment of Suh's career right now with a huge sack.

And the block happened becaus Riley Reiff got hurt and Hilliard have to move over and whiffed on Dunlap. No breaks whatsoever. The Lions make enough plays to win most games. It makes me sick their true talent doesn't show with their record.

Last edited:
that's right just more bad luck. LOL. maybe bad luck just happens to bad teams, maybe that's just the way it is. but yeah I do agree that it does seem that we get screwed more often than other teams. Maybe the NFL does it on purpose and just wants to drive the team to move out of town and let the city burn to the ground.

Everyone sees this crap happen to the Lions. NFL games are tight and the Lions keep getting screwed. This unacceptable it keeps happening over and over in big games going against the Lions. Ted Ginn spot in 2011. Green Bay challenge fiasco in 2011. Houston game last year. Now this plus some bogus PI non calls on Bush/Johnson and an OPI on Johnson.

Blocked FGs are ruining a good season for the Lions. It's pure crap where this stuff comes from.

Could Houston have covered better sure. But AJ Green is AJ Green and does this to alot of teams. Dalton made an amazing throw to Eifert as well with Mathis in solid coverage. And then a short field on the other TD that shouldn't have been. The defense did enough and then the shanked punt happened. We seriously should be talking about the defining moment of Suh's career right now with a huge sack.

And the block happened becaus Riley Reiff got hurt and Hilliard have to move over and whiffed on Dunlap. No breaks whatsoever. The Lions make enough plays to win most games. It makes me sick their true talent doesn't show with their record.

or the 3 dumbasses standing around blocking no one on the fg block could have put their fat ass bodies on someone?

Letting a block fg is unacceptable more then one time in a season.. I do not care if anyone is hurt it is the coaching staffs responsibility to get his players ready and that includes the second teamers.

Typical Jim speak on the forward lateral... "Hey dumbshit throw the red flag" Where were our guys in the both that were looking at the play?

Another thing> Seriously why is our two minute drill shitty?

But all turnovers are automatically reviewed....so isn't a blocked kick automatically reviewed? And if that's the case and he throws the challenge flag then it's the Houston situation all over again.

I got an idea. Adopt the college replay system already. Hmmm that play looked really close...maybe someone in the booth should take 30 seconds to look at that play and make sure the call was correct and then radio down and tell the ref what to do.

Stop giving grown men hankeys that they keep stuffed in their socks or crotches and chuck on the field every once in a while. You are a 10 billion dollar industry. Stop this embarrassing tactic. If a play looks like it needs to be reviewed then review it. It's actually really simple so stop trying to make it so fucking complicated.

Letting a block fg is unacceptable more then one time in a season.. I do not care if anyone is hurt it is the coaching staffs responsibility to get his players ready and that includes the second teamers.

Typical Jim speak on the forward lateral... "Hey dumbshit throw the red flag" Where were our guys in the both that were looking at the play?

Another thing> Seriously why is our two minute drill shitty?

Schwartz wanted to throw the flag but he was told not to by the refs because it wasnt reviewable. The refs were wrong. Hosed again....

Last edited:
But all turnovers are automatically reviewed....so isn't a blocked kick automatically reviewed? And if that's the case and he throws the challenge flag then it's the Houston situation all over again.

I got an idea. Adopt the college replay system already. Hmmm that play looked really close...maybe someone in the booth should take 30 seconds to look at that play and make sure the call was correct and then radio down and tell the ref what to do.

Stop giving grown men hankeys that they keep stuffed in their socks or crotches and chuck on the field every once in a while. You are a 10 billion dollar industry. Stop this embarrassing tactic. If a play looks like it needs to be reviewed then review it. It's actually really simple so stop trying to make it so fucking complicated.

Too easy ...lol

100% agree

Last edited:

I agree completely.

Yep, I always wonder how solutions that seem so easy are overlooked by the ones making the rules for these "fair" games. After the lights going out during the superbowl and these thursday night games, it seems like the NFL is the new reality TV aimed at tweaking things just enough to seem legit but more of a money grab if anything.

Yep, I always wonder how solutions that seem so easy are overlooked by the ones making the rules for these "fair" games. After the lights going out during the superbowl and these thursday night games, it seems like the NFL is the new reality TV aimed at tweaking things just enough to seem legit but more of a money grab if anything.

cause people in the NFL aren't smart. Theyre football players and former football players that have hit their head 10000s of times. Then youd think owners were smart....but that's not the case either. Look no further than one of the more popular franchises in NFL history....the cowboys.....run by an idiot who cant ever keep his mouth shut and continues to do 1 dumb move after another as GM of his team. Then theres the lions....in a league full of parity....we continually suck ass. Teams can go from worst to first almost annually....and we continue to even fuck that up. Why? cause our owner is an idiot...and the people he continues to have run the team are idiots. It really is the bottom line to why in a league where you can change your team so drastically year in and year out...there continues to be teams like DET JAX AND CLE that will just forever suck ass lol.

Last edited:
This is a 2012 article when the NFL adopted some of these new rules. Buffalo is the only smart team. I like that part that shows the time did not increase. And yesterday was an example of the commercial prolonging the game. When they came back from break a coach threw the challenge flag.

The proposal that drew the most opposition was the Buffalo Bills' suggestion to take replay officiating out of the hands of the referee and move it fully into the replay booth. The Bills were about the only team supporting that move, but don't think they aren't visionaries with their proposal.

They see the trend. Last year, replay officials were given the ability to review all scoring plays. This year, they will review all turnovers. The next step is having replay officials do all the reviews. The Bills see it coming. Eventually, all replays will be decided by a booth official.

Perhaps the holdup is waiting for 32 teams to have total confidence in the 17 replay officials. Replay officiating started with officials in the booth, but many of them were retired officials who weren't used to using television clickers and replay machines. Replay officiating died at one point, but it came back with referees doing the replay reviews on the field.

Over the past few years, the league has been trying to upgrade the replay officials. According to one source, 11 of the 17 replay officials are top notch. Until the other six catch up and gain the confidence of coaches, general managers and owners, the Bills won't win their campaign, but you can see the league is heading in that direction.

Addressing scoring plays and turnovers takes a big percentage of the reviews into the booth.

"I think if you would include scoring plays and turnovers, that would account for about 70 percent of the reviews," said Rams coach Jeff Fisher, a member of the competition committee.

Reviewing every turnover is going to slow down the game, but the competition committee doesn't believe it will damage the game. Committee chairman Rich McKay of the Falcons said the change to having all scoring plays reviewed added only one second to an average game that now lasts 3 hours, 6 minutes.

In fact, McKay thinks the turnover reviews could speed up the game because there will be fewer coaches' challenges and it will take a replay official less time than a referee to review the play.

"Potentially it could speed up the game," McKay said. "We think in the turnovers we'll have the same effect as the scoring plays. It's pretty much even."

McKay says the difference is television. The competition committee reviewed numerous instances in which there was a turnover and then the networks went to a commercial. After the commercial, a coach would throw a replay challenge flag and the game would slow down even more.

"That really slows down the game, and you'll have none of that," McKay said, adding it was a change made that wouldn't add additional game time.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7747944/nfl-owners-break-tradition-replay

I got an idea. Adopt the college replay system already.

A blocked kick isn't reviewed because there isn't anything to review, its either blocked or it isn't. Now a fumble or Int those are things that need to be checked, was the knee down, did the ball hit the ground etc. As far as the NFL goes they are pretty progressive when it comes to a professional sports league. I don't know why they don't go to something like college or even improve on it. With todays tech there are additions that can be made to enhance the game. I would like to see a pylon cam with 4 cameras (or even 8, 4 high 4 low) on all sides so no matter how it sits it has a camera on the goal line, down the sideline, and pointed at the end zone sideline.

Last edited:
Back