Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Replacement Refs

you guys would rather have had the NFL say no officials...no football ?

Personally, I'd not miss the NFL. The CFL, that's another story. I still get confused when the RoughRiders play the Roughriders.

Personally, I'd not miss the NFL. The CFL, that's another story. I still get confused when the RoughRiders play the Roughriders.

hasn't been 2 teams named the RoughRiders since 1996..... :lmao:

I saw a lot of neutral zone infractions not called this past week. I'm not so sure they know the rule.

The point was more that -- and Brian Dawkins said the same more recently -- the real refs communicate with the players but the scabs don't. And it's clear that some players and coaches are bullying these guys too.

The point was more that -- and Brian Dawkins said the same more recently -- the real refs communicate with the players but the scabs don't. And it's clear that some players and coaches are bullying these guys too.

I agree with the last part. I saw a play, nothing unusual then the player and coach started to wave their hands and suddenly the ref is getting his yellow flag out. No way was it a time when ref was just having a hard time getting it out, he literally changed his mind.

Never thought I'd miss the real refs that much...fast paced game with a ton of judgment calls (though there really is no excuse for missing 12 men on the field, clock running out, etc). It appears to be tougher than most of us realize.

I'm trying to imagine this scenario in other sports.

MLB - Replacement umps would probably be awful, most notable with the one behind the plate
NHL - Probably close to the current NFL replacements
NBA - I think I'd prefer replacement refs here, would be nice to see Lebron get a foul everytime he lowers his head and barrels into the defense

Not sure about the other sports since they play many more games but refs and replacement refs are lawyers and Doctor's and big time Businessman etc. This is just a part time gig. FT refs might fix some of the issues.

In general IMO I think the game is just moving a little to fast at this level for the replacement refs. They are just simply not seeing the whole field as well as the regular refs do. It's cuts both ways though on 1 hand I like them better because they aren't calling all of our personal fouls. I was surprised Avril didn't get a couple in that SF game and Welding on the QB could have easily had one as well. They just didn't see em I think.. And on the other hand I'm sure they are missing things for us as well so I guess all in all it's a wash, but I do enjoy not seeing a flag for every little nit picken borderline thing that you tend to get with the regular guys.

In general IMO I think the game is just moving a little to fast at this level for the replacement refs. They are just simply not seeing the whole field as well as the regular refs do. It's cuts both ways though on 1 hand I like them better because they aren't calling all of our personal fouls. I was surprised Avril didn't get a couple in that SF game and Welding on the QB could have easily had one as well. They just didn't see em I think.. And on the other hand I'm sure they are missing things for us as well so I guess all in all it's a wash, but I do enjoy not seeing a flag for every little nit picken borderline thing that you tend to get with the regular guys.

But instead a guy lines up off sides and no call. Those are easy one. OT moves before the snap and no call. They need FT refs.

For sure. John Fox was acting like a total jagoff towards the officials the other night. It was ridiculous. Funny, but ridiculous....

For sure. John Fox was acting like a total jagoff towards the officials the other night. It was ridiculous. Funny, but ridiculous....

He was making a point. after fucking up the prior five calls they got one right. there's a reason the entire NFL media highlighted MNF as an example of grossly incompetent officiating.

the NFL is supposedly vetting the refs so the national games get "the best."

refs just jacked the ravens. webb picked brady in their zone with 2:30 min left lol. some awful calls in this game.

He was making a point. after fucking up the prior five calls they got one right. there's a reason the entire NFL media highlighted MNF as an example of grossly incompetent officiating.

the NFL is supposedly vetting the refs so the national games get "the best."

A point? Meh, whatever...he looked like a fn clown by throwing his hands in the air, crossing his arms, talking to the refs like they're children, and making retard faces all game. Good job, Fox!! You proved squat...

But i completely see "the point" of it all though... :s

Last edited:
Even tho the RepRefs are getting a ton of bad press, it isn't like the RegRefs are perfect even when looking at the simple calls like lining up offsides and other things that fans, players, and coaches are screaming about. How many times have we seen the RegRefs give a team 5 downs?

Not trying to excuse their increased mistakes, but I think people need to look at this more like the weather. Can't do anything about it when they are the ones calling a game and their inexperience and mistakes have potential to impact both teams equally. If one team is fortunate enough to take better advantage, well that is as much the fault of the coaches who are not taking better advantage of the situation or failing to notice a blatant mistake and bringing it to their attention in an aggressive enough manner that forces a correction.

These guys stink. Who over turns a catch that had no visual evidence that it wasn't. Even if it was in favor of Detroit it was a horseshit call. I never see refs, the regular ones, make that mistake.

They confused by the rules.

Btw, maybe this is a new rule but when did they starting adding a defensive holding penalty after the catch? It's always been either except the penalty or decline and keep the catch. Not both.

These guys stink. Who over turns a catch that had no visual evidence that it wasn't. Even if it was in favor of Detroit it was a horseshit call. I never see refs, the regular ones, make that mistake.

They confused by the rules.

Btw, maybe this is a new rule but when did they starting adding a defensive holding penalty after the catch? It's always been either except the penalty or decline and keep the catch. Not both.

Some might argue the CJ catch vs Bears W1 last year, so I wouldn't say the regular refs never make that mistake.

Seems to me people are forgetful of how bad the regular refs were week in and week out. Not that these refs aren't worse, not arguing that, but people need to stop pretending the regular refs were so great because most of the time they sucked and played favorites like they had money on the games.

Some might argue the CJ catch vs Bears W1 last year, so I wouldn't say the regular refs never make that mistake.

Seems to me people are forgetful of how bad the regular refs were week in and week out. Not that these refs aren't worse, not arguing that, but people need to stop pretending the regular refs were so great because most of the time they sucked and played favorites like they had money on the games.

Big difference, CJ catch by rule wasn't a catch. The process. BS call but by rule .. Yesterday was a clean catch and they missed it but that was just one of many.

And the regular refs might call a bad PI or bad hit to the QB but these guys seem confused. They really don't seem to understand the rules. I expect them to be less than the regulars but not this bad. Many many obvious calls have been screwed up.

But again, each team is impacted relatively the same, no different from playing in a snowstorm as opposed to a balmy day with no wind. The quality of these refs is just another element both teams have to deal with and it is up to the coaches to maximize the situation for their teams benefit.

Back