Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Report: Carlin Isles, world's fastest rugby player, giving up on Detroit Lions career

kmd47

Report: Carlin Islesn giving up on Detroit Lions career

Carlin Isles' career with the Detroit Lions appears to have ended before it ever really began.

Isles, billed as the world's fastest rugby player, signed with Detroit's practice squad late last season and had inked a futures deal this offseason. But now he has decided to sign with the Glasgow Warriors rugby club in Scotland and forgo his football career, according to The Scotsman.

"It's about rugby," Isles' agent, Tom Beattie, told the paper. "Carlin is very excited about the move and eager to get to Glasgow in the coming weeks."
Report: Carlin Isles, world's fastest rugby player, giving up on Detroit Lions career

The Lions kicked the tires on Isles because of his blazing speed. He was clocked at 4.22 seconds in a 40-yard dash during his tryout with the team, and was flying during his few practices with the club.

"4.2 to me is jogging," Isles said after signing with the Lions. "I can go 4.1 all day."

But it was immediately evident that Isles was raw as a football player, and would have required significant work if he were to ever contribute on special teams or offense.

Instead of putting in that work, Isles appears set on developing his rugby career. He has said his goal is to compete for the U.S. when rugby sevens makes its Olympic debut during the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro.

"2016 is a big deal for me," Isles said. "That's a goal of mine, but playing in the NFL is a blessing, too. "

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/02/report_carlin_isles_worlds_fas.html

That was fast......

Last edited:
No big surprise there. At least they recognized that he was too raw in about a month and they didn't spend lots of time working with him.

Back