Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Retired Numbers

thehippo73

I saw the retired numbers for the Tigers. Cobb, Gehringer, Trammell, Greenberg, Kaline, Sparky, Newhouser, Horton and Morris.

I'm not 100% sure why Horton is included. Unless it has more to do with his role during the 67 riots. I would think Heilmann would deserve that honor over Horton.

The only guys I see being add to that group is Whitaker, Verlander and Cabrera.

Maybe Inge but that would only be from the legendary thread from us.

The Tigers have had a long standing rule of no retired numbers unless the player is inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

As for Harry Heilmann, I think he played in the era before the Tigers wore uniform numbers. His last year was 1929 with us.

To be sure, I checked Gehringer and the first year he wore a number was 1931. It was his 8th year with the Tigers. That year he wore #3. In 1932 he switched to #2. Back in that era, the uniform number for some players indicated where the batted in the lineup.

Willie Horton although he was born in iirc Roanoke Virginia, moved with his parents and 20 something brothers and sisters to Detroit at a very young age, and went to Northwestern High. Part of the reason his number was retired, was as you said his time to try to help during the riots, also for his never ending help in the community and city of Detroit since his playing days and to this day.

Back