Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Revised Draft Grade

sansumo

Post-draft grade: A-
Summary: The Lions did incredibly well when it came to drafting value based on my rankings, but I had them at only a C-plus for need. At the time, I wondered whether the fact that they didn't get a cornerback, an offensive lineman or a linebacker would be an issue. The amazing thing is that even though everybody significant in the class got hurt, this draft comes out looking not too bad, even in the short term. Nick Fairley had surgery in August but showed late in the season that he could become an impact player. Titus Young also was dinged early but managed 48 catches and more than 600 yards. Young has a really bright future. Mikel Leshoure's injury was really a shame, and you hope he can come back strong in 2012. And that's really it for the Lions. They can't live up to the post-draft grade, but at least there is plenty of promise, as it looks like they'll get two impact players out of it, despite the bad luck early.

New grade: B

Nick Fairley looks like he could become something special, he showed flashes in limited PT. Titus Young looks like he could become really good, like Mike Wallace good.

I think Titus Young is awesome. I like how he goes after balls and has nice hands. He had a nice year. Fairley was a bit incomplete with his early injury and missing games and no preseason for him.

Titus really looks like he could be that gamebreaker type at WR. He is in a great position too (Great QB, single coverage thanks to CJ)

Fairley and Young still look like really good picks. D-linemen generally take a couple years to come into their own anyway, so if we get the Fairely we think he can be next year, no lost time in my opinion. Young is a great compliment to CJ. He has speed to blow up the other side of the field and great hands.

Certainly we still need to see something out of LeShoure, but if we can get 3 starters (at least 2 quality starters) out of one draft, that's a win.

Titus' play the last couple weeks changed my mind on him. Fairley is still suspect imo.

Potential B

Based on Production D

It sounded like Fairley was never truly healthy at all this season. Titus improved (or was at least used more) as the season progressed. Leshoure we'll have to see...we probably won't even get a true indicator of how good or bad he is until the 2013 season depending on how he recovers and comes back next season. I don't even know how many snaps Hogue took, would like to see him (or someone else) compete for Levy's spot in the future.

Like most drafts, I won't even bother grading until next season or the one after.

mhughes0021 said:
Titus' play the last couple weeks changed my mind on him. Fairley is still suspect imo.

Potential B

Based on Production D
Fairley was the best DT on the team the last few weeks, and the only guy getting to Brees. Unlike Suh, he's not easily taken out of running plays either.

Hard to say Fairley was the best on the team. He saw 1 on 1 blocking most of the time he was in there.

Can look at the 1st qtr of the Saints when when he was 1 on 1 with Jahri Evans a lot, and he had good success, but then he got hurt again. Still whenever you get that much penetration on an All Pro Guard, it's something.

Either way, I love all the people callin out Suh because he didn't have double digit sack numbers this year. Like he regerssed somehow. It's total bullshit. Dude saw the same treatment in the trenches that teams were giving to CJ near the goal line - you know with the double press coverage. That's exactly what they do to Suh, becuase when they try to block him 1 on 1 he nearly kills the guy blocking him, and then nearly kills whatever ball carrier he arrives at - be it the RB or the QB.

He was our best D-Lineman again this year, and the sole reason why guys like KVB and Avril got single blocking on the outside - enabling them to get sacks.

The Mad Bomber said:
Hard to say Fairley was the best on the team. He saw 1 on 1 blocking most of the time he was in there.

Can look at the 1st qtr of the Saints when when he was 1 on 1 with Jahri Evans a lot, and he had good success, but then he got hurt again. Still whenever you get that much penetration on an All Pro Guard, it's something.

Either way, I love all the people callin out Suh because he didn't have double digit sack numbers this year. Like he regerssed somehow. It's total bullshit. Dude saw the same treatment in the trenches that teams were giving to CJ near the goal line - you know with the double press coverage. That's exactly what they do to Suh, becuase when they try to block him 1 on 1 he nearly kills the guy blocking him, and then nearly kills whatever ball carrier he arrives at - be it the RB or the QB.

He was our best D-Lineman again this year, and the sole reason why guys like KVB and Avril got single blocking on the outside - enabling them to get sacks.
When teams ran the ball, they simply let Suh get upfield and ran right by him. One man could simply take Suh out of the play. NO did this frequently. It was tough to watch.

He didn't regress, but he didn't really improve, particularly against the run. And his play down the stretch definitely wasn't up to his standards.

The Mad Bomber said:

This is exactly my beef with Avril. You see 1 v 1 for 16 games while LoJack and Willie Young were both injured for half the year and you still only have 11 sacks and 2 TFL on the year?! Dude not once saw a double and dint have much production.

mhughes0021 said:
The Mad Bomber said:

This is exactly my beef with Avril. You see 1 v 1 for 16 games while LoJack and Willie Young were both injured for half the year and you still only have 11 sacks and 2 TFL on the year?! Dude not once saw a double and dint have much production.

I'm waiting to see some team give him a boatload of money (hopefully not us), line him up next to less talented DTs, possibly go up against opposing LTs, do his one move (and/or get taken out on run blocks) and see how (un)productive he really is.

Titus was by far my favorite pick of the draft at the time, knew that even if he didnt come close to meeting expectations he'd still be an upgrade from Bryant Johnson. I'd project 700-800 yards for him next year given that we'll probably be running the ball more

I love the young pick and liked the Fairly pick.. Man I was looking forward to LeShoure to bad he was hurt for the whole year... I hope he can help next year...

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]I love the young pick and liked the Fairly pick.. Man I was looking forward to LeShoure to bad he was hurt for the whole year... I hope he can help next year...

Wouldn't bet on it with Leshoure. Even if he comes back, it's unlikely he'll be 100% until at least 2013 - and that's IF he ever comes back.

Too bad. Kid was productive in college... and he like NEVER fumbled.

Demarius Thomas showed that you can come back in one year from an achilles injury but he wasnt 100% until the last two weeks. But i think Leshoure will be able to contribute next year. Having best back and hopefully healthy for a full 16 this offense will be more dangerous. Heres to hope.

Back