Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Rice's record

Well within reach.

Shit, with his talent and the fact he will play in all 16 because the Lions suck......2000 yds isn't impossible.

However, with the evolution of the game....even if he does break the record this year.....it won't be his for long. Receiving yards are going to go the way of HR records soon. Someone will be within reach every year.

Last edited:
Well within reach.

Shit, with his talent and the fact he will play in all 16 because the Lions suck......2000 yds isn't impossible.

However, with the evolution of the game....even if he does break the record this year.....it won't be his for long. Receiving yards are going to go the way of HR records soon. Someone will be within reach every year.

I'm not sure about that. I'm not positive passing will happen more than it already has. And home run records didn't get within reach every year. You had McGuire and Sosa one year and then Bonds. All on 'roids.

This record is really difficult to achieve. Now days having a WR play every game is hard, let alone average 100+ yards per game.

Yeah it can be done, but honestly only think there 2-3 WRs that can try to accomplish it. Larry Fitz would be a possibility, but his window is closing and he doesn't have a QB that can hold up his end. I think AJ Green has a good chance, maybe even a better chance than Fitz.

I don't think a receiver on a legitimate team would have that much of a shot, other than andre johnson. But this team is different. The team has lost games with calvin putting up monster numbers, and most teams know that they can absorb a good game from CJ and not be in danger of losing the game, which is why the 2,000 yard mark looks so attainable these days.

Cj will break the record more than once and will get 2000 once Stafford throws better and the OC calls better games.

Wanted to check and see if there was a thread on Calvin's chances of breaking Rice's yardage record.
Found this in my travels this morning;
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...-wide-receiver-jerry-rice/index.html?mobile=n
On the verge of history, Calvin Johnson strives to be even better.
from SportsIllustrated

the other record that Calvin has a chance to break is old time Lions' flanker Pat Studstill's record of
five straight games with 125 or more yards receiving.
http://blog.detroitathletic.com/201...receiving-mark-held-by-former-lion-studstill/
Calvin Johnson is poised to break the NFL receiving mark held by former Lion Studstill.
from Detroit Athletic

Last edited:
Can we all agree that there is no Madden curse? TD's might be a tad low but his yards are huge.

Can we all agree that there is no Madden curse? TD's might be a tad low but his yards are huge.

The calendar cover curse cancelled it out. Besides we don't want to tempt fate the year isn't over yet.

Over his last 16 games (regular season and playoffs), he has 122 catches for 2,199 yards and 11 touchdowns with 12 100-yd games and 4 200-yd games. Not sure that's before or after GB but I guess Calvin is pretty damn good..:hehe:

I really hope he gets it.

This is one of the hardest things about being a Lions fan though. We've had arguably the best RB and most talented WR to ever play in the NFL, and they both wasted their careers in Detroit. 1 playoff win to show for it.

I really hope he gets it.

This is one of the hardest things about being a Lions fan though. We've had arguably the best RB and most talented WR to ever play in the NFL, and they both wasted their careers in Detroit. 1 playoff win to show for it.

LOL....try being a fan for 43 yrs with this team. I've attended 2 home playoff games......

Having no playoff teams haven't diminished by joy of watching either one. And my saving grace, at leastim not a Cubs fan.

Having no playoff teams haven't diminished by joy of watching either one. And my saving grace, at leastim not a Cubs fan.

Ive enjoyed going to the games......the last 5 games have been pretty frustating to watch

i think the frustrations have been compounded by the preseason expectations that followed the first good season in a decade.

If CJ got even 3,000 receiving yards on a team that's 5-11, what difference does it make?

If CJ got even 3,000 receiving yards on a team that's 5-11, what difference does it make?

So it wasn't exciting to see Sanders rack up yards in a under .500 team? Its better than 5-11 and CJ on IR.

Back