Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Right Tackle Free Agency 2017

LKP

Well since the season was a disappointment time to look to adding talent. Let's break down by position. Start with RT

Riley Reiff is a free agent after a very average contract year making 8 million on the 5th year option. He missed 3 games with injury including the crucial last two. Reiff had an averge graded year. Solid in pass pro but took a step back in run blocking (was good at LT at run blocking in years past)

Do you want Reiff back or some of these guys or wait until the draft?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/tackle/

Andrew Whitworth. Stud left tackle from the Bengals (2nd rated per PFF). But he is 35 years old. We'll see if Bengals finally let him walk. He is a stud but I wouldn't move Decker. One or two year deal I'd actually take him despite his age. Had another great year in 2016.

Sebastian Vollmer. Pats RT for years but was hurt this year. Clear Quinn connection. But is 32 and was hurt. Good player when healthy

Mike Remmers. Average player with starting experience for Carolina. Was the guy abused in Super Bowl by Broncos

Matt Kalil and Andre Smith. Former Vikings. Smith was good three years ago with Bengals and both were high picks. Kalil struggled at left tackle other than his rookie year. Both got hurt this year.

Menelik Watson struggled early with Oakland but was average this year and improved.

Ricky Wagner. Add an underrated good year with the Ravens. 19th ranked per PFF. Hasn't done much in prior years. Should be cheaper than Reiff

Byron Bell, Marshall Newhouse(Packers and Giants). Backups at best IMO

William Beatty, oft injured Giant

Gosder Cherilus. LOL no

Eric Winston. 33 but has plenty of starting experience. Average at best

Roll with Corey Robinson and Cornelius Lucas. Super risky Mayhew method. Lucas is a restricted free agent by the way. Who knows how hurt Robinson is after going on IR with foot injury.

Last edited:
roll with Reiff imo....too many holes to fill in the draft and the FA options are mainly all super veteran stop gaps youll have to pay an arm and a leg for. 2 or 3 year deal for reiff and see how he adjusts on the right side.

roll with Reiff imo....too many holes to fill in the draft and the FA options are mainly all super veteran stop gaps youll have to pay an arm and a leg for. 2 or 3 year deal for reiff and see how he adjusts on the right side.

Yeah since we need defense in draft. I'd re-sign Reiff unless they know more about the hip injury that would be Levy-esque

Do you give him the 6.5 per like the other guys. 3 years 19.5 million. I could see him wanting 5 years though.

$6.5 sounds about right. Offer it to him if he is healthy and if someone pays him more let him walk.

Beachum and Clady cut giving more options at tackle.

Albert to be traded to Jags from Dolphins most likely.

Floods the market a little to make Reiff at a better price

Broncos didn't pick up Okungs' option. Interesting, some seemed to want him before the Decker production from 2016. Available and floods the OT market now with Okung, Beachum, Clady, Albert (trade) and Reiff/Kalil

I'd like to see Okung at RT actually at the right price if Reiff doesn't re-sign

Broncos didn't pick up Okungs' option. Interesting, some seemed to want him before the Decker production from 2016. Available and floods the OT market now with Okung, Beachum, Clady, Albert (trade) and Reiff/Kalil

I'd like to see Okung at RT actually at the right price if Reiff doesn't re-sign

I highly doubt Okung signs a deal to play RT anywhere....

I have a feeling Reiff took the move of drafting Decker and basically giving him the job day one over him harder than everyone thinks... Doubt he would even consider a "hometown" discount and probably wants to hit the open market.... I wouldn't blame him really.

Back