Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Rip Tom Dempsey

biggunsbob

Tom Dempsey, NFL kicker who set a record for the longest field goal, dies of coronavirus. He was 73 years old. He was diagnosed with dementia in 2012.

Rip Tom. Great kick from a guy with half a foot. I really wanted him to miss that kick !

I was in a body cast when he made the record field goal in 1970. (19-17)
It was the middle Loss of a three game losing streak that made the lions 5-4 after a 5-1 start.
Lions won the last five games and were the first wild card team for the NFC.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/05/us/tom-dempsey-nfl-kicker-dies-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

Last edited:
Last four plays of the game.

Earl Mann gives the Lions a 17-16 lead.
Kick- off and return.
Billy Kilmer’s pass that Wr barely got his feet in.
63 yard kick to win :(

https://youtu.be/cjqiq4S9bqA

Last edited:
When Errol Mann made his FG, my 13-year-old self figured the game was won. Stunned disbelief does not begin to describe what I felt when Dempsey answered.

Me too. I was 9. Yup I really Thought game was over :(

Had just turned 10 years old.

Might be the first season I had followed the Lions.

For some reason I’ve been remembering that game as having happened in Detroit.

Don’t remember where I was watching when the game ended on that play.

I was probably either at home or somewhere else.

Last edited:
I was in a body cast when he made the record field goal in 1970.

At the time, I was wondering why you didn’t block it.

After all these years - a half century this fall - I finally have the answer

Last edited:
Tom Dempsey, NFL kicker who set a record for the longest field goal, dies of coronavirus. He was 73 years old. He was diagnosed with dementia in 2012

Man, I hope there?s a deadly pandemic around to kill me when I get dementia, and I hope I don?t have to wait almost a decade for that to happen.

When Errol Mann made his FG, my 13-year-old self figured the game was won. Stunned disbelief does not begin to describe what I felt when Dempsey answered.

I think everyone of any age probably felt pretty much the same.

I think the blocked punt MSU touchdown Harbaugh’s first season even more so.

Cordell Stewart to Michael Westbrook too.

EDIT: I guess it was actually a fumble, not a blocked kick.

Last edited:
I think everyone of any age probably felt pretty much the same.

I think the blocked punt MSU touchdown Harbaugh?s first season even more so.

Cordell Stewart to Michael Westbrook too.

I actually "called" the punt and the Stewart TDs.

RE: Stewart, I said out loud "can he throw the ball 75 yards?" And the punt was even more prescient, as I admonished a group for young ladies for celebrating prematurely as Michigan had the ball with about 1:00 to play. They labeled me "cynical."

"I've seen enough sports to realize that anything can happen, and it does." was my reply.

Back