Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Rooney rule

Proud of Flores today. The NFL deserves everything that?s about to come.

This whole thing is a total sham. He's pissed that they didn't give him a chance. There's nothing whatsoever in any of this to indicate racism, just that they had a guy circled and wasted a minority candidate's time to meet the requirements of the rule. Are the Vikings going to be racist if they hire Harbaugh? Sometimes you're simply not the best person for the job. It's been speculated for months that the Giants were looking for an offensive-minded head coach to fix their terrible offense. Clearly it was racism that led to them hiring the coordinator of one of the best offenses in the league over a guy that has a losing record as a head coach and a defensive background.

If there are owners or GMs out there that are discriminating based on age, race, religion or otherwise then get rid of them. The Rooney Rule is stupid and was destined to end up in exactly this situation sooner or later.

I'd respect him if he came forward about the things that were happening in Miami if he had done it before he got fired. Kind of like AJ Hinch turning a blind to the cheating that took place while he was the manager of the Astros.

I think that's some sunshine and rainbows stuff there.

Expecting someone that's finally been giving his 1st shot, in a sport where sometimes you only get one shot, to just go out and publicly blast your owner for offering to pay for losses in order to tank? It just doesn't seem realistic to me and doesn't compare at all to a cheating scandal that led to a World Series.

This whole thing is a total sham. He's pissed that they didn't give him a chance. There's nothing whatsoever in any of this to indicate racism, just that they had a guy circled and wasted a minority candidate's time to meet the requirements of the rule. Are the Vikings going to be racist if they hire Harbaugh? Sometimes you're simply not the best person for the job. It's been speculated for months that the Giants were looking for an offensive-minded head coach to fix their terrible offense. Clearly it was racism that led to them hiring the coordinator of one of the best offenses in the league over a guy that has a losing record as a head coach and a defensive background.

If there are owners or GMs out there that are discriminating based on age, race, religion or otherwise then get rid of them. The Rooney Rule is stupid and was destined to end up in exactly this situation sooner or later.

Mike Tomlin is the only black NFL head coach right now. That?s 3%. I?m pretty sure we can all agree that there?s more than 3% of qualified black coaches out there.

The Dolphins asking Flores to tank is inexcusable and takes the integrity out of the game.

BB knowing Daboll was already the HC for the Giants before Flores even gets his opportunity to sit in front of management and ownership, that?s a sham. Sickening

I can say a lot more but I?ll leave it this. Just take time and listen instead of jumping on the defensive. Our generations have opportunities to make changes in this world. Something the generations before all of us didn?t do.

Last edited:
Marcus Spears said it best. The NFL isnt racist. The owners are. Flores is out there and proved he deserves to lead a team. He more than likely wont have a job this year and guys like Kellen Moore and Josh McCown will. McCown has never coached in ANY capacity lol....

I think that's some sunshine and rainbows stuff there.

Expecting someone that's finally been giving his 1st shot, in a sport where sometimes you only get one shot, to just go out and publicly blast your owner for offering to pay for losses in order to tank? It just doesn't seem realistic to me and doesn't compare at all to a cheating scandal that led to a World Series.

I said I would respect him if he came out before he got fired. I'm not sure I would expect him to do so. I have no respect for him since he squealed after he got canned. It tells me that he would have kept his mouth shut if he didn't get fired.

Marcus Spears said it best. The NFL isnt racist. The owners are. Flores is out there and proved he deserves to lead a team. He more than likely wont have a job this year and guys like Kellen Moore and Josh McCown will. McCown has never coached in ANY capacity lol....

Good post, Hughes!

The part i do have the biggest issue with this lawsuit is....the fact they are trying to roll up the dolphins firing him as racist.

The fact is he was offered $100k per game to lose games...thats what we know according to Flores.

The fact you dont listen to your owner and go one a 8 or 9 game win streak. Him firing you for that does not make the Dolphins are racist. It makes them pissed at you for not listening to them and they can fire the shit out of you for that if they want to.

The Bills having a deal with DaBoll prior to you even interviewing....more than likely true. Will be hard to prove. Point i get confused is the NFL has a Rooney Rule in place. So cant the Bills just say...ya, youre right....we did know we wanted DaBoll....but you make us abide by these stupid rules so we had to give Flores a Rooney interview. Im not a law expert....but i think the responsibility may fall on the NFL at that point...not the Bills.

Goodell is going to be in a pickle here lol....whats he do?...take draft picks away because the Bills followed the NFL rule? Hows that make sense?

Last edited:
so he is saying all of the owners are racist?

The Lions have a black GM. Why didn't he hire a black head coach? Is he racist because he hired an under qualified white HC?

he was speaking in generalities referring to the 1 black coach in the NFL. Which is a worse number following YEARS of supposedly putting actions in place to making it an equal opportunity. You cant possibly think 1 out of 32 is equal and the other 31 jobs were given based on being the best candidate...do you?

Last edited:
so he is saying all of the owners are racist?

The Lions have a black GM. Why didn't he hire a black head coach? Is he racist because he hired an under qualified white HC?

Did he though? I cant remember fully....but i thought i remember this congregation of white people getting together and making a decision on the coach prior to Holmes being hired. Spielman, Rod Wood, Sheila....etc

I could be wrong...

Last edited:
Did he though? I cant remember fully....but i thought i remember this congregation of white people getting together and making a decision on the coach prior to Holmes being hired. Spielman, Rod Wood, Sheila....etc

I could be wrong...

Discrimination against white people is also racist. Maybe the NFL needs more black owners? Is there a vast conspiracy keeping blacks from owing an NFL team? Denver is for sale. Who?s got the cash?

Last edited:

I could be wrong...

you could be right. I guess I assumed that the GM would have hired the coach.

Discrimination against white people is also racist. Maybe the NFL needs more black owners? Is there a vast conspiracy keeping blacks from owing an NFL team? Denver is for sale. Who?s got the cash?

I hope you weren't referring to me as being racist. I was simply pointing out that there were a collection of people that hired DC.... and they happened to all be white.

I can say a lot more but I?ll leave it this. Just take time and listen instead of jumping on the defensive. Our generations have opportunities to make changes in this world. Something the generations before all of us didn?t do.

I'm not jumping to any conclusions. There is nothing at all to indicate that race played a role in any of these decisions. Yet as soon as someone makes an accusation everyone runs with that narrative.

The Giants had the worst scoring offense in the league this year. The Bills were tied with the Chiefs for the 4th best offense in the league. Flores has a defensive background and just got fired from a team scored 20 fewer TDs than Buffalo. It's not hard to see that they were looking for a coach that could turn that around.

The talking heads on ESPN were saying as recently as last week that the Giants need an offensive-minded head coach. Those same talking heads are banging the racism drum today acting like they cannot believe Flores wasn't considered.

The problem is the Rooney Rule. Flores isn't wrong that they shouldn't have wasted his time. He's not the first person to have their time wasted because of that rule and he won't be the last. If the NFL actually wanted to make a difference they need to invest time and money into professional development, just like any other business. Instead they just rolled out a feel-good rule that anyone with half a brain could see was going to lead to exactly this situation 99% of the time.

I hope you weren't referring to me as being racist. I was simply pointing out that there were a collection of people that hired DC.... and they happened to all be white.

Was not no, I?m just tired of everything always got be about race. We gotta move past this the Rooney rule has to go, the rule itself is racist

If I were a black coach maybe just start declining interview request if you believe you?re just being used to check a box. There is no doubt that is occurring here and there

Back