Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ross' Punt Return

adam86107

So yesterday Pereira said that the play should not be over turned, but as we all know it was. Now, he says that he spoke with Blandino and says the Refs got it right on the field. Said the Cardinal player possessed the ball and downed it at the 1 yard line. If this were the case the NFL has been getting this call wrong for many years. Almost every game there is a punt that the kicking team throws back into field of play while momentum is taking them into the endzone. It's always downed where the next player catches the ball and downs it, not where the first player catches the ball. Sounds to me like the conversation Pereira and Blandino had was more about Pereira backing up the Refs instead of the actual play.

So yesterday Pereira said that the play should not be over turned, but as we all know it was. Now, he says that he spoke with Blandino and says the Refs got it right on the field. Said the Cardinal player possessed the ball and downed it at the 1 yard line. If this were the case the NFL has been getting this call wrong for many years. Almost every game there is a punt that the kicking team throws back into field of play while momentum is taking them into the endzone. It's always downed where the next player catches the ball and downs it, not where the first player catches the ball. Sounds to me like the conversation Pereira and Blandino had was more about Pereira backing up the Refs instead of the actual play.

I think the difference is in your instance they are batting the ball back where this time he caught it....they ruled he possessed it....then threw it. Once theres possession it should have been blown dead. My issue is it wasnt blown dead....so our players should have the right to advance it. it also rules our the calvin rule....because whoever downed it didnt make a football move and lost possession.

They just set a new precedent for what possession is....all you need is 2 hands on the ball.

It seems to me for it to be downed right where he possessed the ball he would have to be planted and not having his momentum taking him into the endzone. He only had his hands on it for a split second and threw it back into the field of play.

It was pretty much a bat. He would have fallen into endzone. That was not possession. Refs are morons and covering up their mistake.

If you look at it close enough it looked like he did have both feet planted as he was falling back..it probably wouldn't have been a big thing if the whistle was blown at the time..but they let it go.

Same scenario but he falls into the endzone it is not possesion. I cant remember but after he tossed the ball what happened to his body?

Same scenario but he falls into the endzone it is not possesion. I cant remember but after he tossed the ball what happened to his body?

I think it's just discretionary call. I could see it go either way.. You only need possession for a moment. Why the whistle didn't blow, no idea.

Watching it over he definitely catches the ball and controls it but throws it back into the field of play because his momentum is carrying him into the endzone.

Seeing that It doesn't look like he had possession at all.

It's very subjective. I see it as possession and him throwing it back. I also think it is stupid that the receiving team can try and advance the ball but if he muffs it they still get to keep possession?

It's very subjective. I see it as possession and him throwing it back. I also think it is stupid that the receiving team can try and advance the ball but if he muffs it they still get to keep possession?

Agree.

I thought it was a bad call, but probably not even top 5 worst in the game. I'd definitely put the two bad spots and the taunting call ahead of it. There were a couple more that infuriated me too, but I forgot what they even were now... I'm blaming that on a minor stroke which was induced by the calls.

I thought it was a bad call, but probably not even top 5 worst in the game. I'd definitely put the two bad spots and the taunting call ahead of it. There were a couple more that infuriated me too, but I forgot what they even were now... I'm blaming that on a minor stroke which was induced by the calls.

OPI on Ebron, DPI on Mathis.

Cards held our Dline more than one time.

There was definitely worse calls in the game, this is the only one I've seen referenced after the game though. How the hell they didn't get the spot right on the one that got reviewed is mind boggling and on the last play it seemed pretty obvious to me that Fitzgerald was standing on the the first down marker and the ball was actually behind it.

After the game was one of the few times I wish we still had hot head Jimmy as our coach. Watch him rip into the refs after the game and take the fine.

I know momentum is huge in a game, and there were several calls that went against us...I just dont feel like we deserved to win the game. Our D made some great adjustments after the first 2 drives but our offense shit the bed. Cards have a great D, but we were supposed to have an unstoppable O.

Lions were jobbed on the call. The Arizona guy did not have posession of the ball. He shoved it back in play. Fucked over again...

Maybe the NFL needs to turn the reply calls over to the league office like baseball does...one or more of those refs had to have had something riding on the cards Sunday

Lions were jobbed on the call. The Arizona guy did not have posession of the ball. He shoved it back in play. Fucked over again...

First and only time I have ever seen it called like that Tony.

Back