Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Russian Boots On The Ground In Syria

lions2011

So Putin has sent in a team of his military commandos to help out his buddy Assad.

wonder if McCain still wants to bomb Syria....lol

Putin thinks the Arab Spring hits too close to home. If he wins his bid in the next re-election he'll be in charge of Russia longer than Lenin and Stalin.

This is why nobody is touching Syria....or Iran for that matter. WW3.

This may resurrect the Rambo saga, though. I miss his archery skills.

smayschmouthfootball said:

Which Rambo was it where he was helping the Taliban?

cheeno said:

I think that was Rambo III: Commie Kill Fest

cheeno said:

Oh yeah. Gotta love the 80s, where our enemies are our friends and our friends (or frienemies) are our enemies. If only our buddy Saddam could have hung on a few more years he could've been so useful again.

who do you think is arming Assad.....the Russians are.

it's why McCains rant about bombing Syria fell on deaf ears....Obama cant fuck with Syria...Assad is backed by both Russia and China.

SLICK said:

it's why McCains rant about bombing Syria fell on deaf ears....Obama cant fuck with Syria...Assad is backed by both Russia and China.

That and the fact that McCain wants to bomb everything. He wanted to bomb Legoland last week.

cheeno said:
SLICK said:

That and the fact that McCain wants to bomb everything. He wanted to bomb Legoland last week.

lol...usually though he gets a few of his Old Boys to go along with him when he rants...but this time they just had a WTF moment and McCain quickly pivoted to ranting about contraception.

cheeno said:

Oh yeah. Gotta love the 80s, where our enemies are our friends and our friends (or frienemies) are our enemies. If only our buddy Saddam could have hung on a few more years he could've been so useful again.

80s? What about the 40s, where Patton wanted to enlist the German army with the Americans and push the Soviets out of Eastern Europe? Some consider him crazy for suggesting this, but was he?

I miss that outta nowhere he learned to fly a Mi-24 Hind helicopter, and to operate it's weapons systems.

cheeno said:

80s? What about the 40s, where Patton wanted to enlist the German army with the Americans and push the Soviets out of Eastern Europe? Some consider him crazy for suggesting this, but was he?

Yes.

Because his motives were not because he was worried about the Russians.

He wanted to fight, and he wanted to fight anyone, he was the kind of guy who felt less if he was not in command of fast moving infantry and armor, he was also afraid of a peacetime demotion in rank, since most of the WWII Generals ranks were temporary "battlefield promotions".

And even if we pushed the Soviet Army back out of Germany and Czechoslovakia and the other places, we could not have held them, and we would have had WWIII, and since were were already in a Atomic bomb dropping mood....

MI_Thumb said:

I miss that outta nowhere he learned to fly a Mi-24 Hind helicopter, and to operate it's weapons systems.

Genl. Buck Turgidson would say that the mechanics and avionics of your average Russian chopper has to be simple enough for your average Commie peon to understand.

MI_Thumb said:

Yes.

Because his motives were not because he was worried about the Russians.

He wanted to fight, and he wanted to fight anyone, he was the kind of guy who felt less if he was not in command of fast moving infantry and armor, he was also afraid of a peacetime demotion in rank, since most of the WWII Generals ranks were temporary "battlefield promotions".

And even if we pushed the Soviet Army back out of Germany and Czechoslovakia and the other places, we could not have held them, and we would have had WWIII, and since were were already in a Atomic bomb dropping mood....

besides no one, other than people who simply like to fight (e.g. Patton) had the stomach for further war with the USSR...

moving enough troops, tanks, planes, gasoline, food, ammunition, spare parts, etc. to Europe to fight the Soviets would've been a logistical nightmare.

simply bombing their cities wouldn't do anything, as they had already moved a lot of their production to siberia. and it wasn't like we had nukes stockpiled... all the effort from the Manhattan project only produced enough plutonium for a couple bombs. would've taken a few years to ramp that up, and eventually the soviets would've had a few of their own.

regardless... for most Americans, the strength of the USSR was a good thing. neither party here was going to engage in an apocalyptic nuclear, unless some sort of Dr. Strangelove scenario happened.

Fear of the Soviets lead to increased domestic spending on education, scientific research, better domestic social policies, less outright exploitation of the middle, working, and lower classes, etc., social mobility, more funding for universities, ... We had to hold ourselves up as a model of social stability and personal freedom to counter the image of the soviet union as a worker's paradise.

DR said:
MichChamp02 said:
the strength of the USSR was a good thing.

Showing your true colors, you commie bastard....

good thing McCarthy isn't around anymore.

but it's not really about communism. we were simply better off then. it kept us honest.

MichChamp02 said:
DR said:
Showing your true colors, you commie bastard....

good thing McCarthy isn't around anymore.

but it's not really about communism. we were simply better off then. it kept us honest.

Yeah, before I took it out of context, that made sense. Do you think China could serve the same purpose, or do you subscribe to the "America is on the decline with no hope of bouncing back" belief. Not that those two things are mutually exclusive.

china hasn't demonstrated it's an actual threat yet. Until they do something we can't do, a la the Russians launching Sputnik, it won't really change much.

MichChamp02 said:
china hasn't demonstrated it's an actual threat yet. Until they do something we can't do, a la the Russians launching Sputnik, it won't really change much.

They can mine rare earth metals, does that count for anything?

Back